YI And His Special Music Corner

YI

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to get flack for this, but Of Montreal's grade of pretentiousness is so ridiculous that I love it. Bloc Party, however, has this problem of being FAR too self-serious. I guess you can make the argument that this is their "non-serious" record, but they've radically changed their sound for the worse through the past three records. They went from danceable British indie to dark, paranoid rock band and now they're poor electronica. OM has always been very ridiculous. I mean, you can't take Kevin Barnes's insanity seriously and you can't take a guy who will do things like create a dance song centered entirely around his battle with manic depression (or sucking cock for that matter) at face value. Sure, they have their darker songs, too, but it's kind of hard to create a dance song around telling your kid that you're a fucked up mess.

Of Montreal seem to have a sense of fun behind them, though, which kind of runs through all their more outlandish ideas so you can forgive them their pretentions. Plus coming out of the whole Elephant Six scene you kind of expect certain things from them, and they deliver. Bloc Party, on the other hand, are just dull - I've never considered them pretentious or anything, just really bland, they've never done a single thing that's interested me.

Okay, so finally heard the new Bloc Party. They played "One Month Off" at Leeds on Sunday, and it sounds a shitload better with the 'traditional band sound'.

The opening track is pretty fucking bad, so bad I just completely zoned out. Where's the catchiness that makes Bloc Party, Bloc Party?

Mercury is alright. Although, it's probably the poorest single Bloc Party have ever released, which is saying a lot as they seemingly release a fuckload of singles.

Halo has a cracking riff. Great tune.

Biko starts like it could be okay...but it goes on too far. And when it finally 'kicks in' (Not half as much as it should though), it's with stupid electro-trance style shit, instead of the big powerful, rock 'chorus' it should be.

Trojan Horse is okay. It's a nice little tune. Needs a little more to it.

Signs is nice. Not a lot happens though.

One Month Off is a great tune. Sounds better with the 'traditional band sound' though.

Zepherus, I'm not really fucking sure what it's meant to achieve. The verse is quite cool. But again, it feels like it drags and doesn't 'kick in'.

Better Than Heaven is good...and actually KICKS IN! ABOUT FUCKING TIME!

Ion Square I quite like, it drags a bit.

Basically, I don't find Bloc Party that 'pretentious', although here they're basically 'following the trend'. This kind of electronica-indie sound is really breaking into the mainstream at the minute, and I feel that they've rushed this album out so that, at least to the 'casual music connoisseur', the 'sound' will be associated with them.

It sounds flat and 'unrealistic' at times, not just due to the electronic edge, but just everything about it. It really feels like it lacks any form of depth.

It's as thought they've had a shitload of ideas, doing something that obviously excites them, but got carried away and the actual song quality is awful. Take "Signs" for example. It's a solid song. But, nothing happens. And that's just not the Bloc Party I know.

I still have faith in them. I think this album will somewhat flop, and they'll go back to the drawing board when they realise people still want to hear their other songs over the tunes on here. There's honestly really no standout tracks. I mean there's good songs, but really none of them make me want to sit there with it on repeat.

Edited by YI

Speaking of Gaslight anthem...this was their setlist for last night;

Great Expectations

Wooderson

Old White Lincoln

I Coulda Been A Contender

Casanova, Baby

Stand By Me/ I'da Called You Woody, Joe

Angry Johnny and The Radio

59 Sound

Film Noir

The Navesink Banks

Patient Ferris Wheel

We Came To Dance

Senor and The Queen

Say I Won't (Recognize)

Drive

Blue Jeans and White T-Shirts

Backseat

Miles Davis and The Cool

Here's Looking At You Kid

We're Getting A Divorce

JESUS! TITTYFUCKING! CHRIST!

Why couldn't I have got there for tonight's show. :( :( :(

No idea. That and "High Lonesome" are two of my favourites on the new album, yet they never seem to do them. Like they never seemed to do "Red At Night", besides a few shows, even when they were just touring one album, I know it's a reworking of a Woody Guthrie song, but "Red At Night" was/is awesome.

"Ion Square" by Bloc Party is awesome, it's like a forgotten Postal Service song. I still think "Halo" is probably my favourite on the new album. "Ares" and "Biko" are fucking TERRIBLE though.

Edited by YI

Ace...even fucking weirder, from earlier in the month......

b646_1.JPG

I was going to post this, because (as is my want when I'm bored at work), I picked up that issue. Assumed you'd have seen them though, so it didn't need pointing out. Fawning interview/review, and they are the first band I believe to get the cover without actually recieving any prior coverage in the magazine, or something like that.

Ace...even fucking weirder, from earlier in the month......

b646_1.JPG

I was going to post this, because (as is my want when I'm bored at work), I picked up that issue. Assumed you'd have seen them though, so it didn't need pointing out. Fawning interview/review, and they are the first band I believe to get the cover without actually recieving any prior coverage in the magazine, or something like that.

Honestly, I had no idea that they'd made the cover of it until yesterday. I'm now trying to track down the interview/review somewhere on the interwebz.

Hahahahahaa, going over to the Kerrang site and seeing everyone diss their "gay name" and going "who? why is this shit band on the front" is fucking hilarious, especially when lots of them are bigging up "You Met At Six" who are not only a pile of wank, but have the most fucking shitty name in music history.

I love The Gaslight Anthem as a name. It's one of the few 'punk-rock' bands I can say their name without cringing.

Fuck...this is now my favourite response;

Gas Light ANthem?? Another Emo-Screamo lame ass band!

Sick of these Emo bands coming out nowadays ... just playing music to get layed, by which I will add by recject type outcast girls that you wouldn't even second look in the street.

Also what is with those lip piercings!

How to make a fuck ugly kid look uglier lmao

Anyways i'm seeing a great band on the 21st! Anti-flag!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

And in Gaslight related news. They will be here again in December, before a bigger tour in early 2009. YEAH!!!!!!

Edited by YI

Do they not realise that all rock, punk and metal was only ever about getting laid anyway? If it wasn't for bands wanting to get laid, we'd certainly not have a Kerrang magazine.

But then, why am I concerning myself with Kerrang, a magazine aimed at schoolchildren with a TV channel stuck in 2003?

Edited by Skummy

It depresses me that there's this much stupid in the world.

Emo-screamo? All about getting laid?

Gaslight Anthems lyrics seem more about friendship and loyalty, having a great time together and enjoying life more than anything.

"We like our choruses sung together,

We like our arms in our brothers arms"

Yeah, emo.

But then, why am I concerning myself with arguing with morons on the internet, I'm hardly going to 'win'?