The Anime Thread

Ruki

The spoilers you posted are from NGE: Death and Rebirth, and NGE: End of Evangelion, which you will need to purchase to see the other ending to Evangelion. The two movies were made due to the amount of negative fan reaction to the final two episodes. The movies come together in one package.

Edit: Death and Rebirth is a synopsis of what happened in the first twenty four episodes, along with new footage.

Edited by mattman1624

Ignore Death & Rebirth. It is, as mentioned above, essentially a big clip show of the first 24 episodes (with miscellaneous cello work mixed in).

End of Evangelion is what you want to watch to 'replace' episodes 25 and 26 of the anime. The fact that it's Part 1 and Part 2 is because they do have a 'break' in the middle - as if it were actually two episodes - but really it should be watched back to back.

That is unless you've got one of the older DVDs which, as I recall, had the first 26 minutes of the movie on one disc, and then on the second disc...had the first 26 minutes again, and then the rest of it as well. Why have the first disc at all? Fuck me if I know. ¬_¬

By the way, The End of Evangelion is not going to stop your brain from hurting. It's going to do the exact opposite. :P

I'd like GoGo, Norris and stoke's opinions on these series, if you've seen them (anyone else can chime in, I just care more about what they think):

Blood+

Gungrave

Raxhephon

Tehxnolyze (not sure that one is spelled right)

Samurai Deeper Kyo

On the manga front, I may be dumping Shonen Jump soon, and I have every issue so far. They just dropped Hikaru No Go (apparently replacing it with Slam Dunk starting next issue), and I wish they had never picked up Yu-Gi-Oh GX (which unlike the original Yu-Gi-Oh seems to be just an advertisement for the damn card game) or Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo (which I like to refer to as Crapcrapcrap-crap Crap-crapshit).

Edited by GhostMachine

Blood+: Very good, if you like that sort of thing. I'm not fond of vampire fiction in any medium, but even I can recognise and appreciate the quality of this series. If your standing is indifferent or better to the subject of vampires, it's well worth a look.

Gungrave: Ugh. Can't stand it. LOOK AT ALL OUR COOL GUNS AND SHIT - go away.

Rahxephon: Curiously, I have somehow managed to avoid seeing an episode of this despite it being one of the ADV-licensed DVDs that have been on sale in the UK since The Dawn of Time. My impression was always that it was trying for something a bit Evangelion-ish, but ended up not really gelling and just being a bit too weird because of it. But then again, my impression of Elfen Lied before I'd seen it was "lol, pink haired girl who doesn't where much and has things that look a bit like cat ears on her head", so even I take my impressions with a pinch of salt these days.

Texhnolyze: Haven't seen.

Samurai Deeper Kyo: I think I've seen...maybe 3 episodes of this? It seemed entertaining in a 1990s-throwback (though actually made in 2002) kind of way. Not necessarily one to place high on any priorities list, but worth a look.

And as an addition to my prior note on the Evangelion movies: if anyone ever comes across a proper (i.e. not a CAM) rip of the Evangelion Rebuild 1.0 movie, they are to announce it here. Immediately.

Edited by stokeriño

I've ever only been interested in AKIRA as a manga/animé. Never one to follow all those peculiar series and stuff. Also, I have Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away and plan on getting that Howl's Moving Castle or whatever it's called.

I've ever only been interested in AKIRA as a manga/animé. Never one to follow all those peculiar series and stuff. Also, I have Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away and plan on getting that Howl's Moving Castle or whatever it's called.

Samurai Deeper Kyo used to air on IFC, true fact. Now they just show repeats of Witchblade and some show about.. photography, called Speed Grapher.

Howl's Moving Castle was aired on Cartoon Network last night, dunno how edited it was since I've never seen it, but I noticed it carried a TV-PG rating for violence. TiVoed it anyway.

Blood Plus is pretty, but I thought it sucked.

Also, I have to ask, why is it that the girl from Howl's and the witchperson from Spirited Away look exactly the same?

Edited by Cloudy

If you only watch anime movies, do yourself a favor and pick up Roujin Z and Grave of the Fireflies. I've never seen Grave, but its highly recommended by just about everyone. Roujin Z, however, is fairly awesome.

One of my friends, who is hugely into every sort of animé, has also spoken about this Grave Of The Fireflies and it should be all kinds of awesome. It is certainly planned as something I'm going to watch. Never heard of Roujin Z though.

Ignore Death & Rebirth. It is, as mentioned above, essentially a big clip show of the first 24 episodes (with miscellaneous cello work mixed in).

End of Evangelion is what you want to watch to 'replace' episodes 25 and 26 of the anime. The fact that it's Part 1 and Part 2 is because they do have a 'break' in the middle - as if it were actually two episodes - but really it should be watched back to back.

That is unless you've got one of the older DVDs which, as I recall, had the first 26 minutes of the movie on one disc, and then on the second disc...had the first 26 minutes again, and then the rest of it as well. Why have the first disc at all? Fuck me if I know. ¬_¬

By the way, The End of Evangelion is not going to stop your brain from hurting. It's going to do the exact opposite. :P

This scares me. Will I at least get some closure? Also, will it explain

Why Tokyo-3 was destroyed/underwater

?

Edited by Ruki

The bright light line type angel that was infecting Rei?

The explosion was pretty huge, but I thought it was a good way outside of the city. But yay for clearing that up for me. The movies should be done now, (will delete Death & Rebirth), just gotta get home and put them to disk.

I'd like GoGo, Norris and stoke's opinions on these series, if you've seen them (anyone else can chime in, I just care more about what they think):

Blood+

Gungrave

Raxhephon

Tehxnolyze (not sure that one is spelled right)

Samurai Deeper Kyo

On the manga front, I may be dumping Shonen Jump soon, and I have every issue so far. They just dropped Hikaru No Go (apparently replacing it with Slam Dunk starting next issue), and I wish they had never picked up Yu-Gi-Oh GX (which unlike the original Yu-Gi-Oh seems to be just an advertisement for the damn card game) or Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo (which I like to refer to as Crapcrapcrap-crap Crap-crapshit).

D: I haven't seen any of those, oh dear.

Heard of Gungrave though but my first initial reaction was the same as stok's synopsis.

Depending on your luck, HMV will either have it on sale at a sensible price (circa £6-9, or whatever the Canadian equivilent of that is), or will otherwise have it right up at £20 which no DVDs that aren't anime are priced at any more. <_<

Edited by stokeriño

I'm not gonna pay more than $20 for it....because I am currently downloading (for the third time) another torrent, hoping that this will be the one. I just need an ending....that isn't what it was in the series. Seriously, what the fuck were they thinking?!