The Anime Thread

Ruki

No Accel World this week?

I don't know; I downloaded Fate/Zero and Accel World last night, only they were last week's episodes. I will get to the bottom of this :angry:

Bah, no AW! :angry:

Why not AW?!

And Fate/Zero was good!

Lancelot!

:o Was interesting that he was using a sniper rifle and a sub machine gun :shifty:

And Rider got his ass KICKED.

Fate/Zero:

Yeah, you shouldn't really fuck with Enkidu (Archer's name for the chain); fun note about Ea, he only breaks it out when he feels it's worth it. The fact that he has EVERY Noble Phantasm in his arsenal should show even more the respect he had for Rider.

I just wish with this Berserker, we'd see some more creative uses with his Noble Phantasm (where he can turn anything into a weapon, like he did with the F-15 during Caster's rampage); say, have him take a tank or a city bus or something :shifty: .

Fate/Zero Episode 9 Season 2

... Awesome! Even though I knew what happened it was still quite emotional. I grew to love the Rider/Waver relationship moreso than I ever thought I would. Archer's comments of: "Your loyalty is splendid! Never tarnish it." will be one of those quotes from a program I always remember fondly, I think.

Awesome episode. And I called Lancelot quite early on when reading the Light Novel, the way the unexplained anger towards Saber was done just made it seem it was going to be someone from that period as well - and Lancelot made sense. Lancelot with Caster's eyes, apparently.

Awesome!

I caught Deadman Wonderland on Toonami last night and man it's awesome. Saw Casshern Sins too but I thought it was just ok. Kinda reminded me of Trigun for some reason.

What's Deadman Wonderland about and is it worth going out of your way to watch or is it just a case of it's good to watch if it's on and you can? Doesn't look like there will be much to hold my attention in summer this year which is a shame so I may go back and catch up on some old anime to increase MAL.

I watched an episode of Gundam AGE last night, 34th I think, there's going to be 50 - that's just depressing. They've had two time skips and have pretty much strangled this storyline of the limited life it had. If it wasn't Gundam I'd have given up a while ago.

Also watched Space Brothers/Uchuu Kyoudai as well, what a great show - although this probably wasn't the best example of it - but they have been split into three groups into a sort of Big Brother scenario where they're locked away for a couple of weeks. Not sure how long they intend on running the series for but hopefully they don't branch out too much and get away from the real meat of the storyline which is more or less Mutta competing against his little brother and trying to realise his dream.

Also I spent a while yesterday reading through some of the older posts on this page, mostly when we were watching Gurren Lagann and Code Geass before I stopped watching for a while, and I was absolutely blown away by how many people used to post in here that don't anymore, particularly the likes of GoGo, Norro and Stoker who were good fun. Seems to just be the four or five of us regularly posting in here now, which is a shame because there is still some good anime on the go. Everyone should come back. :)

Also I spent a while yesterday reading through some of the older posts on this page, mostly when we were watching Gurren Lagann and Code Geass before I stopped watching for a while, and I was absolutely blown away by how many people used to post in here that don't anymore, particularly the likes of GoGo, Norro and Stoker who were good fun. Seems to just be the four or five of us regularly posting in here now, which is a shame because there is still some good anime on the go. Everyone should come back. :)

I agree. We need them back.

I haven't watched anime in quite a few years but I was in the mood to watch something recent that's gotten a lot of acclaim. Is Future Diary good enough to check out?

I assume that is Mirai Nikki....if so, then yes. A million times yes.

Also...Steins;Gate is worth your time as well.

I haven't watched anime in quite a few years but I was in the mood to watch something recent that's gotten a lot of acclaim. Is Future Diary good enough to check out?

I assume that is Mirai Nikki....if so, then yes. A million times yes.

Also...Steins;Gate is worth your time as well.

Ruuuuuuukiiiiii!

Yeah, either one is awesome.

Huh, diary's changing.

6/14 5:01 PM

Ruki called me a creepy bastard.

Damshow is one of the old guard, we've got one back! Let's reassemble the team, with a more learned me (I'd only watched about 3 series back when I used to post on here). Here are some suggestions of what to watch.. can't post where you can watch them but if you need help there is that fancy PM button at the top and I'm sure we can help... in secret! As I don't know your preferences I'll post a summary and you can pick for yourself. :)

Mirai Nikki Since you mentioned it first, Mirai Nikki aka Future Diary is a quasi-Battle Royale anime with mobile phones. Only one can live at the end, and 12 contestants go in from the beginning. It pretty much sees diary owner after diary owner revealed with an underlying plotline that comes to the fore near the end. Good watch, goes a bit insane towards the end but easy to keep up with if you watch them in succession.

Steins;Gate Smash hit from last year, what. a. show. Complex and gripping in equal measure. Crazy, adorable and a bit emotional at times we follow Okabe Rintaro (Okarin) or Hyoun Kyouma (his mad scientist name) as he and friends try to master time travel using a microwave. Just when they think they do it, the science group CERN show up and things get dangerous. It's just a great watch the way the story unfolds, everyone seemed to enjoy it when they watched through it and it's well worth going out of your way to watch. TUTTURRU!

Tiger & Bunny Heavily advertised super heroes, called NEXT, compete every year to see who can earn the most points for capturing criminals. Wild Tiger is an old veteran and is teamed up with young upstart Barnaby Brooks Jr to reignite his image. The two don't get along and BB Jr has ulterior motives for becoming a super hero and things get a bit more sinister. It's humerous at the right times and serious when it needs to be. I loved it when I watched through it, just kept watching episode after episode.

Usagi Drop Slice of life about 30-something-year-old bachelor Daikichi who runs into a little girl at his grandfathers funeral. Turns out the six year old, Rin, is an illegitimate daughter of his grandfathers who brings shame on the family. With no one willing to look after her Daikichi offers to on a temporary basis and we go through 12/13 episodes of Daikichi teaching Rin, and Rin teaching Daikchi. I really loved this program as something different to the usual fare of killing and mecha, even if it's not your cup of tea it's worth watching to see if it can persuade you.

Sakamichi no Apollon Ongoing slice-of-life set in 1966. Karou has just transferred again and meets Ritsuko and her friend Sentaro. He strikes up an unlikely friendship with Sen over jazz music and we also deal with love, life and betrayal and all that jazz (pun) in the meantime. Really enjoyable show, hottest thing on the go according to all the cool cats and with good reason.

Fate/Zero Also currently on going. Prequel to Fate/Stay night, which I am yet to actually watch, but it still makes perfect sense so is easy to jump into. Every set number of years (I want to say 60?) the Holy Grail Wars begin and seven masters summon a warrior of the Saber, Archer, Rider, Berserker, Caster, Lancer or Assassin class and go to war. The only way to win is to beat all the other heroic spirits and claim the grail. Fate/Zero centres on the tenuous yet non existant relationship between Emiya Kiritsugu and Kotomine Kirei and their reasons for fighting. With 100% included Rider awesomeness. Coming to it's conclusion in the second series, we're all watching it here and therefore it must be awesome.

Take your pick and fill ya boots fella.

--

That reminds me. Watched a couple of episodes last night.

Sakimichi no Apollon was super duper as per always. Kauro and Ritsuko did their little will they won't they dance and Sentaro drops a shell of bombs all over us at the end leaving me genuinely moaning I couldn't just watch the next episode.

And I watched Gundam AGE, I think I'm all caught up now. It doesn't leaving me yearning for the next episode but it's passable a show I suppose. A bit harmless.

Edited by IAceI

I started Future Diary (Mirai Nikki) last night. It's currently on Hulu, at least for US people like myself, so I'm hoping to get through it fast enough and then move onto a new series. I haven't watched an anime in probably three years, so going back and watching one reminds me of all the stereotypes that kind of grated on me throughout a series. They still exist, but it's kind of nostalgic. I really like the way this series is set up though, and the concept is going to be a lot of fun, though in episode one I pointed out to myself that by the end this series would probably go a little too crazy. I found that to be the case a lot of times in the past, a really good concept gets swept up into a really crazy finish.

Anyway, no spoilerific plot points to discuss about it right now but I'm sure after a few more episodes I'll come back with some.

And yeah, I remember the glory days of this thread. Those happened yeaaars ago. As I said, three years since I can remember last watching an anime series. For whatever reason.

How many episodes have you got watched so far damshow? It's always fun to see people watch and react as the storyline unfolds in front of them, makes for a genuine interesting experience at how people are seeing the anime in comparison to others. I think the main problem with anime is around 2008/2009 when Gurren Lagann and Code Geass were on the go it was probably at its peak. Since then anime has sort of degenerated into a kind of 'moe' thing and isn't quite what it was. Anyways you have enough suggestions in front of you to keep you ticking over if you're wanting to get back into anime.

Haha Avatar, that was mentioned a helluva lot in this thread in the earlier pages as well. I must have read the majority of the first 100 pages at work over the past few days and it's great reading, even if the spoiler tags don't work anymore. Loads of people were loving Avatar because it was an American made anime. I've added a load of stuff to my Plan to Watch section on MAL using the older posts as a recommendation, so I look forward to slogging through them over summer as it doesn't look like I'll have too much to watch that's new.

Man, to me anime was really at its peak in 04, 05. That's when I was online talking about it the most, but I agree when Geass and Gurren Lagann were really going it was a fun time to talk about anime. It might be something that runs in cycles when some really awesome stuff all comes out at the same time, and interspersed throughout the in-between are a few quality series. Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Lain, Silent Mobius, and a few other really strong shows came out in 1998. When it rains it pours in a lot of styles of entertainment, this is no different.

But anyway, still on episode 2 and won't get further until I'm home tonight.

What were the 04/05 shows you spoke about? I was only 14/15 then so didn't really have much idea about anime back then. I've always struggled as well to get into older stuff, a lot of what I've watched has been recent so I'm trying to right some wrongs and watch some of the classic stuff that any anime fan should really have seen.

Once you start to watch Mirai Nikki you'll probably begin to get through it quite quickly, unless you dislike it of course!

What were the 04/05 shows you spoke about? I was only 14/15 then so didn't really have much idea about anime back then. I've always struggled as well to get into older stuff, a lot of what I've watched has been recent so I'm trying to right some wrongs and watch some of the classic stuff that any anime fan should really have seen.

Once you start to watch Mirai Nikki you'll probably begin to get through it quite quickly, unless you dislike it of course!

Elfen Lied, Gankutsuou, Howl's Moving Castle, Samurai Champloo, Paranoia Agent, Akagi, Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid, Saikano, Mushishi. There are plenty I'm probably forgetting. I was 16 at the time I watched most of these shows, it was definitely a peak period for me in terms of watching a ton of series. Granted, some of these I can't recall if I finished or not.

And finally a mention for one of personal favorites that you all should watch - Genshiken.