The Anime Thread

Ruki

Is this the one for the PC? I'm not a massive game person but if it's PC I'll see if I can find it anywhere reasonbly and have a look when I get the time. As you can see from my posts previously, a lot of my time is taken up by watching anime already but a lot of those shows are ending or have ended so I might be able to get a chance.

It is, though there's also a version called Fate/Stay Night Réalta Nua for the PS2, which from my understanding adds in voice acting (albeit in Japanese) at the expense of the uh, erotic scenes :shifty: :shifty: :shifty:

(don't worry, this is not a hentai game. The erotic stuff is few and far between)

I'll have a look when I get the chance, I'm unsure if stuff like console games will ever have been given a PAL release anyways so PC is better for me. Will check after work.

Think I'll take the plunge and buy Attack on Titan Vol 1 as well, start a manga collection perhaps. May even nip into town to see if they have it - doubtful but a stones throw from my work - as I'd like a quick flick through of it before I buy it, but that could be unlikely. It's got a 2013 live action film release so they must be some faith behind it as a concept, so I figure why not? :)

EDIT: Looks like a lot of trailers for the Summer season are out and about now, will have a look at some later on and see what I think of each. Especially those I'm considering watching.

Edited by IAceI

Could only find a 15 second clip of Tari Tari so no idea what to expect, it seems a bit girly so I'm wary but the story is solid enough and it looks well animated. Will probably give it a try.

Three minute trailers for Muv Luv: Total Eclipse and Sword Art Online. The animation of Muv Luv looks phenomenally sleek and impressive, but the massive and obvious fan service may ruin this for me depending how far they take it. I'm not a huge fan of it but can accept it to Code Geass sort of levels, Gurren Lagann was pushing it a bit for me with Yoko at times but otherwise I could get away with that too. Much more though and it could be a bit of an annoyance. But the mecha's and fights and animation in general look too good to not give it a go.

Sword Art Online is about an alernative reality gaming world where you get trapped inside and must complete it to escape, lest game over really means game over. Interesting concept, perhaps a little obvious already in what to expect but I'm willing to give it a shot. Trailer did nothing to make me think I shouldn't at least watch it.

They will be my three starting shows, and will be dropped if they bore me. Otherwise I'll pick up any shows that get rave reviews and feel I am missing out on by not watching.

Oh yeah and between July 12 and September 13, UK are getting Dragon Ball Z released at last. I'll pick them up and watch them just for the nostalgia really and it'll swell my small but ready to grow collection, plus they'll come in monthly to bi-monthly bursts, so I shouldn't get burned out but will be able to watch at a steady pace. Don't get to do Dragon Ball GT before hand but I can't have it all I suppose. :)

I've never heard of it and a quick look on MAL makes me think I'm probably not going to be watching it any time soon. Doesn't sound like my kind of thing at all. :shifty:

EDIT: Will do Ruki, although no guarantee that what I like you will! :)

So I finally got started on Fate/stay night last night. It's a shame it's never possible to watch Fate/stay night and Fate/Zero with and without the knowledge of the other ones. I wanted to try and detach myself from Fate/Zero - having just finished it - and using that as my base knowledge for this show but obviously that's impossible. Every time I see Sakura, I think of her in the worm pit, everytime I see Rin I think of her and Tohsaka. Saber and Archer assume their Fate/Zero identities as well to me so it's hard to watch it as a stand alone like it initially was.

That said, despite taking a little time to adjust to the differing animation (some of it looks early 1990's), and the more relaxed and at times 'cartoon-y' style I find that at the end of every episode I want to go and watch the next one. That, at the end of it, is what should be the main area of watching anime. If at the end of the episode you want to watch the next one then you should keep watching, if at the end of the episode you have no interest what happens next then it's time you considered dropping the series. That's the simple view of it, at least.

One of the bonuses is while Fate/Zero sort of showed me who would be in Fate/stay night - as I knew bits a pieces about it from here - I knew not to expect certain deaths. However, I don't know how this one will end apart from Saber and Archer being main characters again most likely. I obviously distrust Shinji, but I'm interested to see how they play Shirou, Rin, Sakura and Ilya as protagonists and antagonists.

Don't have much planned the next few day so will hopefully crack through it through the weekend.

Edited by IAceI

Bah, that's right, you know the truth about Ilya and Shirou already :shifty:

For simplicity's sake though, let's refer to Fate/Zero's Archer as Gilgamesh.

Anyway, Haiyore! Nyaruko-San is over. It was a fun show, only twelve episodes, but from what I understand it's a series of light novels, so there should be some hope in the possibility of a sequel series.

Next week a whole bunch of new shows start, I believe, so I'm going to have to find all the new stuff to watch. Sword Art Online looks promising.

Other stuff that looks good:

Ebiten: A high school boy accidentally joins the club for Yaoi Fangirls.

Joshiraku: About a group of female rakugo performers having Seinfeldian Conversations. Based on a manga by the creator of Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei.

Kokoro Connect: A light novel adaptation, about five members of a high school's Culture Club, two boys and three girls, who get Freaky Friday Flipped with each other.

Kono Naka Ni Hitori Imouto Ga Iru: A light novel adaptation, about a boy who has to find a girlfriend at school if he wants to inherit the family business. Complications arise when it turns out that his long-lost sister also attends his school, and he doesn't know what she looks like.

I'm actually quite surprised by how different Sakura is acting to what I expected after her Mato training, will see how that progresses. I'll try and get a few more matches watched tonight.

We can all do a simulwatch of Sword Art Online! As for the other stuff you're watching.. you're on your own Mick. Weirdo. :)

Kono Naka Ni Hitori Imouto Ga Iru: A light novel adaptation, about a boy who has to find a girlfriend at school if he wants to inherit the family business. Complications arise when it turns out that his long-lost sister also attends his school, and he doesn't know what she looks like.

That sounds like an incest hentai game.

• Like 1

I'm actually quite surprised by how different Sakura is acting to what I expected after her Mato training, will see how that progresses. I'll try and get a few more matches watched tonight.

We can all do a simulwatch of Sword Art Online! As for the other stuff you're watching.. you're on your own Mick. Weirdo. :)

I hardly see how it's more weird than some of the other stuff we've watched. :shifty:

And as for Sakura, well....let me know once you've reached episode 13, and I'll enlighten you as to why :shifty:

Got some more episodes watched last night, 4-6. Had I watched epiosde four before the other night I would have at least seemed less odd for wondering who was going to be a protagonist/antagonist - as Iyla is batshit insane.

So I know bits and pieces of the story, and other bits remain a mystery to me. Which is good as I will still get some surprises, on the downside speculating in a thread amongst people who know the story already just sets me up for a fall - which is never nice. And with tidbits like "wait until episode 13" to annoy me, I'm going to be itching to watch them as quickly as possible now.

So Ilya has Berserker, Heracles. And he is huge and demented. She knows that Shriou is her brother, if not her 'brother', but seems to have no qualms about killing him or Rin. Saber actually has a master who converses with her, so it's weird to see her like this when Kiritsugu in Fate/Zero didn't even acknowledge her presence.

So Shirou is Master of Saber. Rin is Master of Archer. Ilya is Master of Berserker. These much are confirmed. I know that Kirei is Master of Lancer anyways, although that has yet to be revealed and they are definitely protagonists - and he seems to be trying to go around killing the girl he is legal guardian of, top bloke. We've also met Rider, apparently, although I assumed that was Assassin until Rin actively said it was Rider. So that means we have Rider, Assassin and Caster left. Sakura and Shinji will both be Masters. Sakura is obvious enough, and I assume she's probably bad too - given she was raised by the Mato, so is probably a sleeper next to Shirou and Rin. Shinji seems likely to be Rider's master given the Archery captain has gone missing, he is also missing, people have been having their 'souls sucked out' around town and now at school - that makes sense and he's been built up as a main deviant character, so it's not going to be Issei. Not sure who put the forcefield up around the school though.

Rin seemed set up in Fate/Zero to be very cold and calculating. It has sort of carried over into Fate/stay night but also seems like she is easily swayed and still morally whole. Yes she does try to kill Shirou, but I'm not sure this whole 'trying to play her off as a bad girl' will ultimately carry through to the end.

Anyways, 25% of the way through the series and will hopefully get a bit more of it watched over the weekend. So will update again when I've watched more. :)

Yeah, need to watch more. I want to spoil so badly.

Though, you know that part where Rin (Bah, I like calling her Tohsaka <_<) takes Shirou to see Kirei? In the visual novel, you're given a choice; go through with the Holy Grail War, or opt out of it, thus losing Saber as a Servant and forfeiture of Command Seals. If you choose the latter, you still come across Ilya and Berserker. It does not end well :shifty: .

Are you watching this subbed or dubbed? Just curious if it's Berserker or Bahsahcah :shifty:

Well we'll call her Tohsaka then, and I'll try and get some more watched tonight as well for your sake, Mick.

Also I'm watching subbed, so it's Bah-sah-cah at the moment. When Fate/Zero gets a UK release I'll see about picking that and this up so I can watch both back-to-back again and do it subbed instead. :)

Oh yeah, I should mention that

▂ ▂ ▃ ▃ ▄▄ ▅ ▅!

in my sig: That's literally what Berserker says. I think Fate/Zero Berseker says it too, but when I read it in the light novel, I thought it was a nice shout out.

All I see are squares? And I have signatures turned off.

This hasn't been a good few moments for me. :shifty:

Those squares imply are very pissed off howl.

I'll keep my ears pricked up for it then. My work PC must not have the capabilities to view the writing as intended. :(

No, I mean those ARE black squares. It is not your PC.