The Anime Thread

Ruki

I've decided to make July Mick's Classic Anime Month™. During Mick's Classic Anime Month™, I'll focus mainly on older shows.

So far on the list I have:

Dirty Pair

Mobile Suit Gundam

Space Battleship Yamato

More to come, but I'm going to focus on Dirty Pair first. I'm thinking of sticking with subs, since early anime dubs tend to have quiet horrid voice acting (See: The Ox King in Dragon Ball Z. Seriously, what were they thinking?!)

Original Mobile Suit Gundam, as in 0079, Amuro Ray and Char Aznable? I was getting that from the website you gave me ages ago but rapidgator went down, I think I've watched the first two episodes, have about 12 of them but need to get the rest.

Also they're releasing Dragon Ball Z over here, at last, with the first series out in a week or so so I will pick that up too. May inadvertendly be watching some old anime myself this month. :)

I assume you mean the one from 1979, so yes.

Given the length of Dragon Ball Z, I would say "some anime" is correct. I nearly had a stroke when I found out just how insanely long the series was (this included Dragon Ball in the equation, though, and not GT).

Finished up the first episode of Dirty Pair; technology wise it seems very dated, though it did come out in 1985.

Yep the 1979 one, I've set it to 'on hold' at the moment but with a bit more time I may be able to start watching it again. I really just need to get all the episodes downloaded quickly though.

And DBZ is being released over 9 discs between now and September 2013 so there's no rush. Just checked my usual UK sites and it came out today, so I've just purchased Season 1 for only £21.99. Very happy with that.

There's a lot of classic anime on my list to watch. I'm working on Galaxy Express 999 right now. Dated animation, but it's a lovely story of a boy's journey. I've got 100 episodes to watch so I'll be working on it awhile.

Also, started Sakamichi no Apollon. As to expected it's brilliant, beautiful art and music. I'm starting to feel an attachment to the characters, really interested to see what direction everything goes.

Accel World is not as good, but a lot easier to sit back and watch because it's not as deep. It's generally been entertaining and each episode has been fun, which counts for a lot.

I think it's probably easier to have characters you care about and get attached to in slice of life stuff where the story revolves around their interactions than it is to develop characters around a story such as Mirai Nikki or Accel World. That said you look at the staff on Sakimichi no Apollon and it's clear it's going to be a great show. It has it's drawbacks, or at least in my opinion it does, but I'll let you watch for yourself and see what you think.

If you do enjoy it then another good show, still ongoing, is Uchuu Kyoudai or Space Brothers, about one mans dream to become a spaceman. I've just got to the 14 episode and it's still very good, very funny yet serious and enjoyable.

It looks like both Muv Luv: Total Eclipse and Tari Tari have hit the internet as well so I'll make sure to catch them shortly. Muv Luv has pretty consensus, decent scores of around 3/5 whereas Tari Tari seems to be splitting opinion a bit more. Will get them watched soon and form my own judgement too.

Also watched the first two episodes of Death Note last night, seems very enjoyable although I know the basis of the story is these two and they've been introduced already so I'm interested to see how this lasts for 37 episodes. Have to love Light and his manic eyes and evil laughter though. :)

Death Note will really suck you in around episode 4 or 5 if I recall and just keep going after that. It's a series that becomes very hard to stop watching.

And you're right Slice of Life generally, by its nature, does a better of job getting me to care about the characters but I have seen my fair share of anime that does have characters I manage to really sympathize with that is not Slice of Life. Code Geass for example, and to a lesser extent Death Note also had me care about the characters.

I just finished Sakamichi no Apollon, i've been rambling about how good it is earlier as well, this goes pretty high on my all-time favourite animes (though there's not that many i've seen actually.) Right next to Toradora, Evangelion, Welcome to the NHK and Steins;Gate that i've thoroughly enjoyed. What to watch next, there's not really anything that interesting this summer. EWB, recommend something?

Oh, Evangelion 3.0 is apparently coming out on November 17th in Japan.

Edited by The Sandman

I just finished Sakamichi no Apollon, i've been rambling about how good it is earlier as well, this goes pretty high on my all-time favourite animes (though there's not that many i've seen actually.) Right next to Toradora, Evangelion, Welcome to the NHK and Steins;Gate that i've thoroughly enjoyed. What to watch next, there's not really anything that interesting this summer. EWB, recommend something?

Oh, Evangelion 3.0 is apparently coming out on November 17th in Japan.

It depends what you want, but all of these are fine:

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

Tiger & Bunny

Nichijou

Great Teacher Onizuka

Chaos;Head (Steins;Gate was the spiritual sequel)

The ending of Death Note's second episode was what hooked me, just the entire way it was done. It was like "Oh shit, it's ON."

I haven't seen any of those, after quick Wikipedia plot check Tatami Galaxy and Chaos;Head sound like something i might check, Nichijou possibly as well.

I can't remember the exact episode of Death Note, but i switched from anime to manga (which i'm still yet to finish.) after...

Light kills Raye Benber's fiancee who's name i forgot.

Very early on though, might check the anime version for fun sometime as well.

Edited by The Sandman

Watch Tiger & Bunny! It's phenomenal. Film coming out soon too, and it's getting a UK disc release in early 2013 too. Can't wait to pick that up.

Didn't get much watched last night as I was quite busy, and the weekend means most shows are out so it's harder to get through the backlog of stuff I'm watching anyways. I'll get a bit more done tonight thought.

Gundam AGE Episode 38

Kio is still on Vagan, father Asemu is coming to save him but not before young Kio becomes smitten with a dying girl. Unfortunately the dying girl dies and he cries, I'm sure he'll use that as motivation in his fighting in the future. TV tropes at their finest most obvious-ness.

Death Note Episode 3

Surely no need for spoilers? Anyways yes, how awesome is Ryuk? If only because I assume that's how Japanese people would pronounce my name too - although I don't actually look like him. A bit wordy this episode as yet more rules and new rules are explained, as is necessary, and the whole 'eye for power' thing just really had planted the seeds for Light's demented-God angle. Good fun. If I get time tonight I'll blast through a few more episode but otherwise I will try and watch:

Tari Tari & Muv Luv: Total Eclipse tonight. New shows! New shows!

A bunch of us plan to watch Sword Art Online, but who knows if that will be your cup of tea.

I could recommend you a ton of older anime to go through but I don't know exactly what you've seen. If you have not watched Genshiken you should get on that right now. If you like Welcome to the NHK you'll probably like Genshiken equally if not more. A good resource is My Anime List. Look up anime you like, and you'll see recommendations for similar series.

Yes, join us for the Sword Art Online watch - it'll be good with nearly everyone in the thread watching it and commenting. Unless it's rubbish. In which case I take no blame. :)

Edited by IAceI

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Bakuman

Pokemon (1 & 2 Generations, BW)

Deadman Wonderland

Welcome To The NHK

Outlaw Star

High School of the Dead

Steins;Gate

Toradora

Guilty Crown

Mirai Nikki

Medaka Box

Sankarea

Sakamichi no Apollon

I may be forgetting one or two, but that's pretty much all i've seen through.

I remember reading first two volumes of Genshiken manga couple of years ago and that was good, might try to find the anime to see.

I'll join the Sword Art Online watch, it sounds like it might be good.

Edited by The Sandman

Genshiken's awesome. I think it's...two seasons? Anyway, I know each is like twelve or thirteen episodes, so it's not too long.

Might as well get some Cowboy Bebop, Code Geass R1 & R2 and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann down your eyeballs if you haven't seen them.

Usagi Drop/Bunny Drop is good if you enjoy slice of life and feel good programs, as is Uchuu Kyoudai/Space Brothers.

Also you might enjoy Fate/stay night and Fate/Zero as well as the aforementioned Tiger & Bunny.

Well worth getting MAL and keeping a list and checking out reccomendations, as said already. :)

Yeah, Usagi Drop was an incredibly sweet show. Not sweet as in HOLY COW, AWESOME, just..cute, wrapped with good feelings, etc.

Well worth getting MAL and keeping a list and checking out reccomendations, as said already.

I can't stress this enough, though at times it can be a little hit or miss.

"Hmmm, what's like Death Note? Code Geass, eh? Okay, let's just watch the first ep HOLY COW THIS IS COOL"

"Hmm, what's like Azumanga Daioh? School Rumble, eh? Eh, funny but still kinda lame."

Reminds me, I need to update the list :shifty: