NFL 2008

Cactus Drags

I think this is the year that Smith finally sheds the impending bust label and has a good year. You have to remember that when he had Norv Turner calling the plays (a guy who knew how to run an offense, something that Jim Hostler couldn't do), he was starting to have success. Plus, he's got Kordell Stewart syndrome in that he hasn't had an offensive coordinator for more than a season, which kinda hurts your development.

That being said, he still has a lot to prove.

I heard the Jets would have to give GB three first rounders if they traded him to Minnesota. Not sure about Chicago.

Maxx, you'll have to excuse him, Jet fans don't know what winning is, so they've had to cope by convincing themselves that the game is about more than winning. It isn't.

I blame Joe Namath trying to drunkingly seduce Suzy Kolber for that.

Suzy Kolber: "Joe, it's been a tough season for Jets fans. What does it mean to you now that the team is struggling?"

Joe Namath: "I wanna kiss you. I couldn't care less about the team struggling. What we know is we can improve. Chad Pennington, our quarterback, missed the first part of the season, and we struggled. We're looking to next season, we're looking to make a noise now and ... I wanna kiss you!"

Video never gets old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQqIQyT-RuM...feature=related

It's interesting because it had been assumed that either Smith or Hill would start given that they're the two vying for the starting job.

Besides, it's news other than the whole Favre saga as well. Which, I dunno about you, I could use a break from.

Plus, this thread needs more 49er talk. :shifty:

Edited by Livid

We can talk about how Martz will actually have to live up to his promise to build the offense around Gore, if they want to win games. Lets see, Alex Smith or Shaun Hill throwing to the wonder 1-2 combo of Arnaz Battle and Issac Bruce. Yeah, that doesn't scream air it out to me.

Yeah and they also have Jason Hill who is the prototypical Martz receiver who just needs some more seasoning.

And I think Gore's going to have a great year because he kinda has to build the offense around Gore. I mean, Davis is good but he's yet to produce but Gore is the proven weapon on the team and even in having a down year last year, had over 1000 yards even with how awful their pass offense was. Plus with Foster backing him up, who while not the greatest, is at least better than Michael Robinson and Maurice Hicks. Plus Gore is an underrated receiver out the backfield. Is he Marshall Faulk? No, but he's got solid hands. Oh and Martz was pass happy in Detroit but what other choice did he have? Hand the ball off to Tatum Bell and get a 2 yard gain or give it to Kevin Jones and watch him get hurt?

If the offense can stay on the field at all, then they will have success because the defense didn't play all that poorly last year, they were just on the field all the time because the offense sucked because they didn't have anybody on the coaching staff that knew how to call an offensive game. With Martz it should be different.

Edited by Livid

I liked the fan question that was submitted to Larry Meyer at chicagobears.com. It went something like:

"In the unlikely circumstance that Brett Favre gets traded to or signs with the Bears, will Urlacher, Vasher and Mike Brown be slotted in at WR on the depth chart since he grew so used to throwing to them lately?"

I apparently really dont like Brett Favre and feel that getting him on the Jets spells nothing but drama in MY hometown...

Ok, so he might be here for a year or two? Big fucking deal...

Will we win more games than last year? Maybe yes, maybe no...

When we start losing games, how long before he decides that his heart just isnt in it anymore?

For some reason I see him packing it in in the middle of this coming season... and now that Chad has been dumped unceremoniously... that would leave the NYJ with... what A Rookie QB?

I dont think that the organization has done the right thing...

Edited by darkrayne

I was confused until I reread the last page and realized it was sarcasm.

He acted childish that's true enough but a pussy is not the word to describe the record holder for most consecutive starts at quarterback. He played through injuries and the he played the day after his dad died. Doesn't sound like a pussy.

And it would leave you with Kellen Clemens the guy that had a 50 percent chance of starting. You don't have to worry though because Favre won't flake out midseason.

Edited by rocksta

From AP newswire..

Pennington, benched midway through last season, was released Thursday afternoon.

SO they dont even bother to trade him?

They just cut him, I suppose that shows exactly what he meant to the organization?... CRAP

By cutting him, Chad can sign with any team he wants as soon as tomorrow. If they tried to trade him it could take a while to come up with a compensation package. The way they did it was actually to Chad's benefit.

First off, it says your from Pittsburgh, so I'm having trouble figuring out how much drama that might cause there.

Secondly for such a big Jets fan, you'd think you'd know that Clemens is going into his 3rd year and has been pushing Pennington for his starting job since he got to New York.

I figure since you're a Jets fan its probably an odd to be in a situation where you could be happy with what your team does, but this is a situation where you can be.

Unless you like being the Patriots doormat and would like to see that continue uninterrupted for the next several years.

Brett Favre at least gives them a puncher's chance against the Pats

Edited by Maxx

They cut him because there's a thing called a cap. They had to be under the cap by 4 PM ET. Ofcourse the Dolphins and other teams waited them out on this. I don't get the Pennington hate. He's still good enough to start on a lot of NFL teams. Every QB doesn't need to be able to throw the ball 60 yards on each play. He took the Jets to the playoffs 3 times.....and if it wasn't for one missed FG he'd have been in the Conference Championship game a couple of years ago.

I have GOT to watch Mike and Mike In The Morning tomorrow to see what Greeny has to say about the Favre trade and Pennington's release....if he's actually on the show tomorrow (The show should really be called `Mike OR Mike' because half the time there's a fill-in for one of them); he's a Jets fan.

Pennington will probably end up somewhere else, but I think he'll either be a backup or have to compete for the starting job. Can't see anyone signing him as a starter out of the box due to his past injuries and the fact he's got a weak arm.

Packers will lucky to be 8-8, maybe 9-7, under Rodgers. I don't see the Jets being much better.