NFL 2008

Cactus Drags

Even those backslidin' Cardinals could throw for 400 and stuff Atlanta. Who the hell knows?

And that is exactly what is going to happen if everybody keeps overlooking the Cardinals because of how they have been playing. Notice how they became crappy after clinching the division. Now that Kurt Warner and his pro bowl Wide Receivers have something to play for, Atlanta will be in for a long day if they expect to win this game, especially if they attempt to turn it into a shootout. Plus, this is in the desert. I would not be one inch surprised in the Cardinals win this and it definitely would not make Atlanta a lesser of a team in losing against them. However, Cardinals are not a big threat in the postseason. After this game, they'll either travel to Charlotte or the Meadowlands. Cardinals play like utter crap on the road.

I'm sorry, I forgot all about the Cardinals magnificent run defense. I look for Michael Turner to run all over the Cardinals. You can talk all you want about how the Cardinals were just playing shitty cause they clinched a spot, but a losing streak is a losing streak. Atlanta is a hot team right now and I really can't see the Cardinals shutting them down, because really, when have the Cardinals shut anyone down?

And that is exactly what is going to happen if everybody keeps overlooking the Cardinals because of how they have been playing. Notice how they became crappy after clinching the division. Now that Kurt Warner and his pro bowl Wide Receivers have something to play for, Atlanta will be in for a long day if they expect to win this game, especially if they attempt to turn it into a shootout. Plus, this is in the desert. I would not be one inch surprised in the Cardinals win this and it definitely would not make Atlanta a lesser of a team in losing against them. However, Cardinals are not a big threat in the postseason. After this game, they'll either travel to Charlotte or the Meadowlands. Cardinals play like utter crap on the road.

So the Cardinals clinch their division, then say to themselves "Fuck it, why bother?" and now they're suddenly gonna just turn it on? I'm sorry but that's terrible logic.

Atlanta won't have to worry about turning it into a shootout because they can essentially run the ball at will on the Cardinals. Plus, stop acting like Kurt Warner and his receivers are the only guys on the field. The Cardinals have a terrible OLine who have to worry about blocking John Abraham and the rest of the Falcons pretty solid defense.

Sorry but Maxx is right. The Cardinals can't stop the run. Kurt Warner could be throwing to 5 receivers the caliber of Fitzgerald and Boldin and it wouldn't matter if they can't get on the field.

But you are correct that the Cardinals are not a threat in the postseason, because they'll have to get extremely lucky just to make it out of the first round. Whether they're playing at home or not, the playoffs are all about matchups and this is a match-up that favors the Falcons heavily.

There's a reason the Cardinals went 8-8 even though they get to play 6 games against horrible teams.

Edited by Evil Chase K

The Cards went 9-7.

J Starr wins me over as a wonderful, wonderful poster with that post. It basically expands on my thoughts, shut the fuck up and watch the games. :)

Touche.

But either way, they won't make it out of the first round unless the Falcons beat themselves.

I'm sorry, I forgot all about the Cardinals magnificent run defense. I look for Michael Turner to run all over the Cardinals. You can talk all you want about how the Cardinals were just playing shitty cause they clinched a spot, but a losing streak is a losing streak. Atlanta is a hot team right now and I really can't see the Cardinals shutting them down, because really, when have the Cardinals shut anyone down?

And like I said; if the Falcons get in a shootout with the Cardinals, you can't honestly tell me Falcons would win. Cardinals may not be oh so successful stopping the run, but the Falcons aren't anywhere near successful at stopping the pass 24/7, and they'll have trouble. Like I said. I'm not necessarily backing up the Cards in this contest because I think Atlanta has the tools to win if they don't make any stupid decisions, like have them pass more than run. However, I think a shootout would easily favor the Cards whom are 16th against the Run (only allow 110.2 yards a game), but a horrible 22nd against the pass compared to an 25th against the run and 21st against the pass. Atlanta is my gut feeling but I'm trying to be realistic. Don't overlook the Cardinals.

I don't think it'll be a shootout, where do you get any indication that I thought it would be?

I look for them to rely heavily on Michael Turner to wear down the defense and keep the offense off the field.

Doesn't sound like a shootout to me.

I don't think it'll be a shootout, where do you get any indication that I thought it would be?

I look for them to rely heavily on Michael Turner to wear down the defense and keep the offense off the field.

Yeah, and if the Cardinals get the ball first, score on a passing touchdown, Atlanta will do what they have already this season and attempt to put the ball into Matt Ryan's hands, which is why they 9 times out of 10 lost pretty much every game they didn't score first in. It was successful in the regular season but he is a rookie and this is the postseason. The kid can't take the pressure. Now, if they find a way to stop the pass, they'll be good. Can they? Maybe they can but I just don't trust them. This game pretty much will be decided on the Falcons' offensive coordinator and the play of Matt Ryan.

And like I said; if the Falcons get in a shootout with the Cardinals, you can't honestly tell me Falcons would win. Cardinals may not be oh so successful stopping the run, but the Falcons aren't anywhere near successful at stopping the pass 24/7, and they'll have trouble. Like I said. I'm not necessarily backing up the Cards in this contest because I think Atlanta has the tools to win if they don't make any stupid decisions, like have them pass more than run. However, I think a shootout would easily favor the Cards whom are 16th against the Run (only allow 110.2 yards a game), but a horrible 22nd against the pass compared to an 25th against the run and 21st against the pass. Atlanta is my gut feeling but I'm trying to be realistic. Don't overlook the Cardinals.

Why in the world would it be a shootout?

The Falcons can pound the ball all day on Arizona. And even if Arizona scores quickly, they likely wouldn't get many possessions because the Falcons can control the clock.

Arizona is the only division winner (and only team in the playoffs this year) to give up more points than they scored. And 6 of their 9 wins came against their division opponents, who blow. They went 2-2 against the AFC East and 1-5 against everyone else. If they were in a different division they wouldn't even be in the playoffs.

Arizona may be the worst playoff team of all-time.

They've got a pro bowl running back going against a team that is horrible against the run, the offensive coordinator should be fired if he can't figure out how to wn that game.

Yeah, and if the Cardinals get the ball first, score on a passing touchdown, Atlanta will do what they have already this season and attempt to put the ball into Matt Ryan's hands, which is why they 9 times out of 10 lost pretty much every game they didn't score first in. It was successful in the regular season but he is a rookie and this is the postseason. The kid can't take the pressure. Now, if they find a way to stop the pass, they'll be good. Can they? Maybe they can but I just don't trust them. This game pretty much will be decided on the Falcons' offensive coordinator and the play of Matt Ryan.

If Atlanta goes down 7-0 early and panics right away they don't deserve to win the game. I don't think they'd be that stupid. They know they can run the ball on Arizona. Plus it takes the pressure off of Matt Ryan. Atlanta is going to run the ball.

Besides, it's no given that Arizona will even be that effective passing on the Falcons. Maybe in Madden 2009 the Cardinals are the better team because of their OMG AMAZING passing game. But in the real world they have to hope their offensive line doesn't get Kurt Warner killed.

The game won't come down to whether or not Atlanta can stop the Cardinals' passing game. It'll come down to whether or not the Cardinals can't stop the run.

I agree with Evil Chase K for once, Arizona beat a struggling Miami at the start of the season, Buffalo who are kinda shit, NFC West 6 times(no big deal) and their one legit win was in overtime against Dallas whom they let tie the game with 2 minutes left(after winning by 10). They haven't beat a playoff team once except Miami who didn't hit their strive til the week after Arizona against New England.

Arizona really has no chance. Sorry, but they don't.

Hey, all you guys badmouthing the NFC West. The 49ers may not be world beaters but I wouldn't classify them as "horrible" or that they blow. Borderline bad, yes but since Singletary took over, they've been a good team.

But yes, the division as a whole is bad.

But yeah, ya' know, even if it somehow turns into somewhat of a shootout, Atlanta's pass offense is no slouch. Their offensive line is strong and good at protecting Ryan and then Ryan has weapons like Roddy White, Michael Jenkins and Jerious Norwood (as well as Turner a bit) against a bad pass defense.

Oh and there's this thing called a one dimensional, soft offense which is what the Cardinals have. It's good enough to beat teams in their division so that they can even get into the playoffs but there's no way that they can sustain drives if all the Falcons have to do is drop people back or blitz like hell. They don't have to take into account the running game because the Cardinals don't have one at all. And not to mention that if you get pressure on Warner, he tends to fold a bit.

All that being said, it's not going to be a shootout for the reasons already stated. The Falcons have Turner and Norwood to just run all over them and control the clock.

NFC West = 17 wins for the season as a whole. 12 of said wins were against themselves, and NOBODY could be 9-7 Arizona. That is absolute shit. Yeah, they improved quite a bit under Singletary's reign but they were improving from bottom of the barrel. They were still a bad team. Shaun Hill showed a bit of promise, but the still couldn't run themselves out of a wet paper bag. That's bad. I love their potential for next year and they'll probably be in the mix for the wild card. But this year, yes, they were a bad team. Their last nine games were a nice showing but that doesn't erase the first seven.

I'd say their improvement was a bad thing, considering it happened when their season was already in the shitter. All they did was move themselves further away from the top 10 in the draft, which is where they really need to be.

I'd say their improvement was a bad thing, considering it happened when their season was already in the shitter. All they did was move themselves further away from the top 10 in the draft, which is where they really need to be.

Not necessarily. I don't know what the Niners biggest need is but if it's a position with strong depth in the draft, picking from 11-20 isn't always a bad thing. You save money and still get the player you want at the position you need. If you draft properly.

Eh, that's debatle and really just down to personal opinion. I love Buffalo, and they're in the same spot at 7-9. They've got some needs obviously, but they're still in good position to get a VERY quality player but as ECK said, not pony up as much cash. That's a good thing.

For the Niners, there's only one/two guys that are Top 10 picks that I think would be good picks for them anyway.

I'd have to disagree. The 49ers did some good things at the end of the year - Singletary managed to bring this team back together and solidify himself as the man in San Francisco. If they hadn't of put things together, they probably would be in the same coaching limbo that a half dozen other teams are in and have absolutely zero momentum going into next season. With some wins toward the tail end of the season, the team itself at least knows that they can do something right.

Besides, don't they have the 10th pick?

First of all, couldn't run themselves out of a wet bag? They're best offensive player is Frank Gore, their running back, who got banged up to end the season so was barely able to get over the 1,000 yard mark. Not to mention the fact that Mike Martz continually, dropped the run in favor of the pass way too early in games.

Second of all, I did admit that the division as a whole wasn't and isn't good. It's between them and the AFC West as to which is the worst in football. I'm not arguing that at all.

And Maxx, the 49ers don't NEED to be in the top 10. They have holes to fill but they're mostly along the offensive and defensive lines, where there aren't many who are worth a top 10 pick. There are a few linemen but even if the 49ers hadn't done as well, but still got a couple of wins, they wouldn't be in a position to really get a guy they want. And then there's WR, while not a pressing need because the likes of Jason Hill and Josh Morgan both showed promise, it's clear that Michael Crabtree would be ideal. That being said, it's still possible that he would drop down to 10 anyways, which is where the 49ers are drafting. Other than that, the secondary is fairly set, but perhaps aging a bit so younger plays would be good but we have a few younger players back there that have been learning behind the veterans. They need a pass rusher to be paired along with Parys Haralson who had a pretty good year, but again, there's nobody in the top 10 projected that would be worth it other than MAYBE Everette Brown but even then, he's been playing as a down linemen in a 4-3 and the 49ers play in the 3-4, so who knows how well he'd adapt to moving as a rush LB, as Manny Lawson was supposed to be that guy a couple years ago but he's not strong enough and is too good in coverage for us. And don't even mention QB because the QB's in this year's draft suck and it isn't a huge concern to get one in the first round anyways. I'd like to get one later on in the draft that can sit behind Hill and learn for a bit before taking over. Not to mention that their wins made Singletary the actual Head Coach instead of just the interim is a good thing.

Plus, had they beaten Arizona on that close game on MNF, they would've been in a position to contend for the Division championship and subsequently, a playoff spot. The odds were against them, yes, but their season wasn't totally in the shitter when Singletary took over.

Edited by Livid