NFL 2008

Cactus Drags

DeAngelo Williams is a great shout for MVP actually. Didn't start off too well but has really come on in recent weeks and has been a massive part of their recent run to the top. James Harrison also a solid suggestion but while the Steelers wouldn't be as good without him, I think they have lots of other very good players on the defense. You talk about Brees having weapons, Harrison has an even better supporting cast.

Oh, and DeMarcus Ware for Defensive Player of the Year >_>

Reggie Bush, Marques Colston, Jeremy Shockey and the emerging talents of Pierre Thomas and Lance Moore. Obviously they haven't been healthy all season long, though, Brees has had to go without the first three in quite a few games so I wouldn't agree with it being 'stacked' as such. Actually if anything Brees' numbers have probably gone down since he got his big playmakers back :P

That is exactly what I was leaning at. Pierre has come from out of nowhere, but he still isn't there every game. Lance Moore has shown up in the second half of the season. With the health issues they've had, and the revolving door of personnel he's dealth with, yeah Brees at least gets a nomination if Big Ben does.

I'd go further with DeAngelo .. I'd say that Stewart/Williams should get a combined nod for MVP. Their emergence has literally thrust the Panthers into position to take away the top seed in the NFC from NY.

I'd go further with DeAngelo .. I'd say that Stewart/Williams should get a combined nod for MVP. Their emergence has literally thrust the Panthers into position to take away the top seed in the NFC from NY.

While we're splitting up trophies, Plax deserves a share of that MVP award. If he hadn't shot himself the Giants would have won at least one of these last two debacles and put the 1 seed on ice by now. :shifty:

Well him being a nonfactor is simply based on his statistical output. Teams not having to double team him given how good he can be if you leave him open, I'd imagine, has hurt the team a bit more than anybody thought it would.

That being said, Ben's not going to win MVP. While he's been great this year, he just doesn't have the stats to backup a claim to the award. While MVP doesn't equate to monster stats, you have to at least have decent ones and he's just too far down the list of QB's this year to warrant him getting it. If they were to give it to say James Harrison, I wouldn't complain at all. I just don't think Ben's year as a whole warrants an MVP award. Maybe if it was judged on the 4th quarter of every game alone, he'd win it but like I said, his stats just wouldn't warrant him getting the nod.

Unfortunately it looks more and more like we'll be seeing Kurt Warner win his 3rd MVP award, which just saying that makes me cringe.

No way do you overturn that call based on what we saw. And when was the last time you saw a fucking overhead angle in a game? Homer-cam is it? Even the cable cam doesn't go 180 degrees. According to the rulebook, the right call was made, but there are so many calls that don't get overturned for lack of evidence and they're far more clear cut than this one. It's not an issue of being the correct call or not, it's a matter of consistency, and you don't overturn the call on the field, with that little evidence, at a really important part of an important game. Sure, you can say Pittsburgh would probably have scored on 4th and inches and won anyway, but this is why they play the games. The Ravens D are fucking ferocious bastards, Ray Lewis would probably have killed someone at the line to stop a TD. And then there's the mental stuff to factor in, i.e. not having a call go your way sucking your momentum/drive/whatever.

Oh, go Browns, Iggles need to drop a game for Da Bears to close in on that second wildcard. Although I'm starting to think it's actually a safer bet to win the division outright, Chicago has a way easier remaining schedule than Minnesota.

I think Matt Ryan's worth a shout for MVP to be honest, you cannot honestly tell me any of you thought Atlanta would be contenders this year. Rookie QBs hardly ever get to start in their first year, yet Ryan's taken the job and run (or passed) with it. As heartbreaking as the loss to the Falcons was, he impressed me against the Bears, and he's got a solid foundation behind him for a stellar career if he can get a decent supporting cast around him.

I think Matt Ryan's worth a shout for MVP to be honest, you cannot honestly tell me any of you thought Atlanta would be contenders this year. Rookie QBs hardly ever get to start in their first year, yet Ryan's taken the job and run (or passed) with it. As heartbreaking as the loss to the Falcons was, he impressed me against the Bears, and he's got a solid foundation behind him for a stellar career if he can get a decent supporting cast around him.

Yes. If he doesn't at least win rookie of the year it's a travesty.

Most definitely not. Matt Ryan has been spectacular as a rookie and played well, but you have to give Michael Turner a plethora of credit for opening up Ryan's passing game. Michael Turner, to me, has been much more valuable to Atlanta than Matt Ryan.

Well him being a nonfactor is simply based on his statistical output. Teams not having to double team him given how good he can be if you leave him open, I'd imagine, has hurt the team a bit more than anybody thought it would.

What he said. Without having to double team any of the wideouts, the Giants NEED Jacobs to be healthy. If he can't play either they can just stack the box and single cover everyone. That Hixon drop last week could have conceivably changed the outcome of both games since an 85 yard TD against single coverage might have made both DC's change their strategies up. As the team is constituted right now there's no significant threat to run the ball, and our receivers need someone to command a double team if any of them are going to do anything. It might be nice if we could generate a pass rush again before the season's over.

Most definitely not. Matt Ryan has been spectacular as a rookie and played well, but you have to give Michael Turner a plethora of credit for opening up Ryan's passing game. Michael Turner, to me, has been much more valuable to Atlanta than Matt Ryan.

Turner hasn't always shown up against the better teams or in the bigger games like the divisional clashes - 42 yards against Tampa Bay (admittedly he ran for like 152 in the second game), 56 against Carolina, 54 against the Bears, 58 against the Eagles, only 81 against the Broncos (I'd expect like 100 >_>) and most recently just 61 against the Saints, who again are not an elite rush defense by any stretch, and he failed to gain 100 in the other game against New Orleans. He does lead the league in rushing touchdowns, I'll give him that. I'm just amazed at how well Ryan has performed at the most important position in the game, with all the pressure and the spotlight after the whole Vick fiasco. Yeah, he's had help, after all it's a team sport, but he's shown he's got a good head on his shoulders and can lead the team well.

Yes, but you have to take into consideration that in games Turner has had to deal with the box being stacked against him and such. While I believe Matt Ryan has been phenomenal and will continue to develop and prosper as a quarterback, a fair bit of his success can be attributed to Michael Turner opening up the passing game and giving Ryan the option to hit Roddy White on the playaction, something we've seen produce touchdowns time and time again this year.

Great running backs run over, round or through anyone, doesn't matter how many in the box. I know we're not talking greatest of all-time or anytihng, but lookat Walter Payton as an example, he was an elite runner even with some of the shittiest Bears teams of all time in the late seventies. If everyone disappeared when a good defense came to town, everyone would suck. And Ryan's hardly had an elite crop of receivers or tight ends to help him out in the passing game. Roddy White's emerged, but again, who would have called that before the season? Yeah, he's had help from his line and another impressive rookie in Sam Baker, but once again, it's a team sport, everyone's going to get help from other players on the team, and I doubt very much whether you could have stuck someone else from the rookie class (other than maybe Flacco), possibly even a couple of established NFL QBs (here's looking at you Rex) and say "right, running games sorted, get us in the playoffs".

The ROY race is between Flacco and Ryan. BOTH of them are worthy. I mean come on, yeah the Ravens D is great but Flacco has no WR's and a broken as all shit running game. He's a damned player, just like Ryan. I would have no issue with either of them winning. But only one of these two should take it. The only other rookies that even come to mind are Jackson and Smith, but both have just had splashes here and there.