Obscure/Cult games you use to play

brenchill

The nostalgia thread in The Lounge reminded me of cartoons I use to watch but it also reminded me of some games that I use to play when I was a kid. My uncle use to have a SNES with a box built on top of it (More than likely illegal) that played games that were on floppy disks, so he use to buy pretty much every game going because they were so cheap. So I was wondering what other obscure/cult games people use to enjoy playing (Not the regular games like Mario, Mortal Kombat, Donkey Kong, etc...)? And heres a few of mine to get the ball rolling...

Michael%20Jordan%20-%20Chaos%20in%20the%20Windy%20City.gif

Michael Jordon: Chaos In The Windy City

I had no idea who Michael Jordon was, and I had no interest in basketball whatsoever, but this game was awesome.

ogrebtl1.jpg

Ogre Battle

I use to play this for hours and recently dug it out again. You could recruit 'wild' enemies to your army as you went along, and you were also given badass tarrot cards to use in battle.

rings_of_power.gif

Rings Of Power

This is the hardest game I've ever played. It took my uncle about five years to finish it, the landscape was so vast and you literally had to go all over the game world to get things done. Before I ever came on the internet I remember asuming it either had a huge cult following or it was regarded as one of the best games of all time... but I've never seen it mentioned anywhere :wacko:

An honourable mention goes to the game BASTARD*

*Just for the title.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ax.jpg

WHAT A FUCKING GAME!

I still remember lying on my grandparents sofa, I couldn't have been any older than 5/6, playing this game on a Saturday for hours on end. I still remember it so vividly. Fuck Final Fantasy VII, best RPG ever. :shifty:

Oh lets not forget the amazing football games for the Master System;

TECMO WORLD CUP '93!

SUPER KICKOFF! (Goalkick...lob..lob..lob..lob...score...what a trick, always worked)

WORLD SOCCER!

CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE! (When you scored the Euro Championship bunny mascot thing would come on and dance...I think I saw it about twice...hardest football game, ever.)

Edited by YI

113996.jpg

I actually fuckin' owned this turd. And I actually played this turd. And it was a totally turd. One of the worst games I ever played - but I freakin' played it. I knew it was bad, and I still played it. I played it until I got Lethal Enforcers and the light gun. Then Shaq Fu went bye bye.

Edited by Hyperchicken

Covert Action.

International Terrorism. Shooting, Driving, Code Breaking, Wire tapping. What's not to love.

Still play it to this day occasionally. Get it from The Underdogs.

Pigskin Footbrawl. It was fucking awesome, but it seems to fall under the radar in terms of older video games. Pretty much, it was a game of football/rugby where you controlled one character, and had teammates that controlled themselves (with funny results). Your character could kill the other teams members if you picked up a weapon and engaged them in the cartoonish puff of smoke and fists flying out of it routine. The medieval characters were great, including the troll that would join a team in the second half if there was a significant shift in momentum.

Eternal%20Champions%20[EUR].jpg

Eternal Champions for the Megadrive, best fighting game ever. Bought 6 button controllers just to play it. R.A.X, Larcen and Shadow were the best characters. And having looked it up, I've just found out there was a Sega CD sequel with added characters! Fuck, I need to get this.

They're not that obscure, but suppose they count since they just popped up in my head and no one really ever talks about them anywhere...

588823_40479_front.jpg

Uncharted Waters: New Horizons

This game was fucking immense. Numerous interconnecting characters and storylines. Deep and rich gameplay. Be a pirate, be a trader, get revenge for your father, pay off your depts, explore the new world! It was all awesome.

588190_58208_front.jpg

Aerobiz: Supersonic

I don't know why but I immensely enjoyed this game as a kid. It was incredibly fun.

588623_40366_front.jpg

Rock 'N Roll Racing

Blizzard before they were Blizzard, and an awesome fucking soundtrack, some cool tracks and characters... Olaf > All.

starflight.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starflight

Starflight was one that I found hella fun because it wasn't all shoot, shoot, and shoot again, there was actual diplomacy required. Although it was pretty damn cool to start blasting away after four or five tries of sucking up, only to keep getting shit talked back to me.