Obscure/Cult games you use to play

brenchill

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eternal%20Champions%20[EUR].jpg

Eternal Champions for the Megadrive, best fighting game ever. Bought 6 button controllers just to play it. R.A.X, Larcen and Shadow were the best characters. And having looked it up, I've just found out there was a Sega CD sequel with added characters! Fuck, I need to get this.

I don't know if it was cult or obscure, I was too young at the time to realise, but did anyone else ever play PITFIGHTER? The graphics seemed pretty amazing at the time, I think it was the first game (Other than maybe Mortal Kombat?) to use real images over animation.

Y'all don't need to post enormous screen-stretching pictures of the boxes of every obscure game you played--we get the idea.

Now here's a tale for you: when I was young, I was Pentecostal like my parents, and they made every effort to keep us involved in church. One of those ways, of course, involved video games, and as those of us who were Christian children in the late 80's and early 90's will tell you, there was no better source of family-friendly Christian entertainment than Wisdom Tree.

Bibleadv.gif

Bible Adventures is probably the most well-known of these games, and it featured three games in one, all of which were... moderately entertaining. Noah's Ark had you gathering animals to put on the ark, literally holding them over your head, which led to really strange moments when Noah would drop a cow, a bull, and two horses because a monkey had chucked a coconut at him. The infamous Baby Moses game had you rescuing Baby Moses from the Egyptians... or, more often than not, chucking the little bastard into the Red Sea. And David & Goliath was a lie, because 95% of the game was spent gathering sheep until the very last level, where you spent two hours trying to kill Goliath's nigh-invincible shield-bearer before offing the champion of the Philistine army in one hit.

exodus.jpg

And then there was the more obscure Exodus. This game was on drugs. You played as Moses and were trying to lead the Israelites to the Promised Land. You did so by going through strange maze-like levels trying to collect giant manna jars while avoiding Pharaoh's sorcerers and soldiers who were out to fuck your shit up. You shot W's at your enemies that sometimes did things and sometimes didn't. There were also all kinds of little quirks. Even though you were moving from what looked like an overhead view, items would fall--anything from manna to golden calves to boulders. If they were "stacked" too high, they would fall. And if you were in the way, you would die. Weird shit would happen, too--you could drop exploding staffs (not in the Bible), you could shoot your W's at golden calves and blow them up (also not in the Bible), and weird bits of expanding mud would try to kill you along with expanding... straw, and if they combined they made bricks (semi-Biblical)... and if you blew up the bricks you got manna (what!?). The only thing really Biblical about it were the questions between the level, but by the time you played three times you had them all memorized.

And despite this game being a trip to Egypt with Moses, the music in the background? Father Abraham. Over and over and over and over and over...

I missed a lot. >_> All I ever played as a kid was Goof Troop, LOZ: Link To The Past, Duck Hunt and the Mario series. Oh, and sometimes I rented Earthworm Jim. So that counts, sorta.