The Clash

RPS

So I'm writing an essay on the Clash for my Music Course. Basically, the jist is that I needed to choose a band not covered in the course, explain why they SHOULD be in the course. I've read the Wikipedia and various links I could find on there, plus have a butt load of books on them, so I am good in terms of the sources. However, the hard part is I need to choose TWO songs by the band that represent their style and sound and explain the song in terms of sound, the songs influence and the songs cultural/social importance. So..

So, I was just wondering what other people thought I should do. Obviously London Calling is almost a dead lock, however, I am kinda thinking there are a lot of other better tunes to use. I'm not sure. I can think of maybe 5 songs I'd include - Should I Stay Or Should I Go, London Calling, Police and Thieves, White Riot, Clampdown. But I was just thinking that if I got some other peoples input, than it'd help to narrow down my selection... see what the general public likes and go from there type thing...

For me Rudie Can't Fail will always be up there with the finest songs by the Clash. It might not have the weight of The Guns of Brixton or London Calling, but it captures the style of the band; it has the distinctive and seamless blending of pop, soul, and reggae. It will always be my ultimate 'Summer song' as well.

I'd have to agree with the Straight To Hell, not the famous Clash sound but definatly shows off their political influences, the song for anyone that doesn't know (but if you're in this thread you probably should) then the first verse is about the U.K. and all the people loosing their jobs in the steel mills, second verse is about the kids left in Vietnam to go 'straight to hell', third verse is about parks in America where junkies go to seek solace on a night and the final verse is about rioting in towns when the immigrants realise there streets aren't paved with gold. Or at least thats what I think it means through a combination of reading and listening to interviews and just random internet sources so it appears it would give you plenty to write about in an essay.