2008 MLB Season

sahyder1

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But we win in the end thanks to the Zaunomatic.

Anyone else think Cito's a little too quick to go to the bullpen to get a favourable L/R matchup these days?

I believe almost every manager abuses the bullpen and L/R matchups. It is one of those big problems I have with baseball, bringing in a guy for one batter.

It used to bother me, but it's all about strategy, and that's a huge part of the game. Besides, if they didn't do that, there would be a lot of guys who wouldn't get a chance to get any game time at all. I haven't seen Shawn Camp in a little while, but he got into the game yesterday.

How exactly did the scoreless 8th pitched by Scott Downs yesterday contribute to the "undoing" of Shaun Marcum's start? Scott Downs is awesome. He's everything you want in a set-up man, and is currently 4th in the AL in holds. He's given up all of 1 earned run since July 9th. Ryan blew the lead Saturday, not Downs. Burnett loaded the bases on Wednesday, not Downs. And even on a so-called "off-day" as he had on that occasion, he still wasn't responsible for an earned run.

What we should be talking about today though is Jesse Carlson's gem save. 11 pitches, 9 for strikes and 2 strikeouts. He looked like 2006-Beej. Purcey was fantastic over 8 and showed us another glimpse of how good he can be if he can get some consistency. And that's all there is to say, really. We won because David Purcey outpitched Matt Garza by the narrowest of margins. We continue to be incapable of hitting against Garza, but we managed a sac-fly after Adam Lind hit a double and was moved over to third by a Lyle Overbay ground ball.

Downs got himself into a lot of trouble yesterday. He got himself out without any runs coming in, but he wasn't on his game, and I'm glad he got today off.

Speaking of which... Jesse Carlson looked like a monster out there. Like a younger BJ Ryan. Ryan has been awesome this year, but I could see Carlson being his successor if they keep him around long enough.

Eight in a row... jesus christ. If we can take the last 7 against the Sox, we have the chance to overtake them in the standings, which means a potential wildcard spot.

I still don't quite follow how his scoreless inning contributed in any way to the "undoing" of Marcum's start, but whatever. I didn't say he wasn't shaky, but the score line was the same when he left the game and Marcum was still the pitcher of record.

9 in a row! AJ was fantastic today, they got some clutch hitting and, after a shaky start, BJ locked down and took care of business. We're now a game and a half ahead of the big bad Yankees going into tonight's game. Burnett gave them 7 innings, they still have most of their relievers ready for work and after only throwing about 110 pitches, a short-rest start is not entirely out of the question. So Litsch on the hill, Barajas behind the plate and perhaps Scutaro and Batista on the left side? Maybe a bit of pop added to the lineup to face the rookie starter as we try to bring this streak into double digits.

My phrasing was careless. Downs himself didn't allow any runs, which statistically didn't contribute to anything... but Marcum was lights out for 7, Downs came in and got into trouble, barely made it out without being scored on, and then Ryan came in and continued to struggle. BJ let up the runs, which undid Marcum's start, but Downs' shaky play may very well have contributed by either psyching out Ryan a bit, or giving their opponents some confidence going into the ninth that they didn't have before.

Burnett was great out there today, and Downs/Ryan looked a lot better than a couple days back. I'm hoping that Carlson gets the opportunity for the save in the night game, and that we get our big bats out against this rookie on the mound for Chicago.

Fuck yeah, no hitter. First CG no hitter since 1972 for the Cubs. Awesome.

Edited by ALPHA Cloudy

Strangest of circumstances. This was an Astros home game played in Milwaukee because of Hurricane Ike. Crazy amount of Cubs fans made the drive from Chicago for the game.

I would assume most took the train >_>. It's only an hour and a half from Milwaukee to Chicago via train. But that has nothing to do with this, so whatever.

Fuck yeah, Cubs.

And so the Brewers prepare to begin another decade of mediocrity. They'll have no pitching next year, and their offensive stars will depart in the next few years.

Then, this might not come too late. But I see the Phils winning more games in the last few weeks than the Brewers. Milwaukee's got 6 against the Cubs. The Phillies face the Braves, Fish, and Nats to close out the year.

Edited by damshow

No love for the final game at Yankee Stadium? They had a very cool ceremony before the game began, and it's been a decent game so far with Damon hitting a three run shot to right field, and Jose Molina with a two-run homer to left.

I'd like to see Jeter hit the last home run at the stadium, but I'm sure any Yankee fan feels the same way.