Retro Gaming Store

hugobomb

Retro Gaming Store  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested?

• Yes
    • No

Simple question, I've been looking into the possiblilty of opening a retro gaming store in the Birmingham/Worcester area and just wanted some opinions. I would sell anything that is now a 'dead console'. So anything up the Gamecube right now. Just wanting a quick look at what people thought of it.

The problem you have is that most of the big brand computer game stores still sell old consoles, so they kinda already have that corner of the market covered.

The only people who actually try to get the previous generation around here are poor people that can't afford the newest generation.

I remember several of those people coming to Hollywood Video(between 2005 and 2007) asking if we had games for the original playstation. They got mad when I told them no games were being made for it anymore.

I would be in there all the time, but I myself couldn't fund a store lol... I am a collector so I look for any games from NES to PS3. Video Games is not something looked at in terms of collecting unless it's NES really, but I love it. Problem is I only currently have 10 systems and 225ish games. Not really much of a collection as I can't afford much lately.

The main problem with the business model is having a retail outlet in a physical location. This limits your customer base to the locals, and rent costs would far outweigh the profits you would make on games that aren't worth much on eBay and probably wouldn't fetch all that much in a shop either.

It's an idea that would be really cool to do, but if it were profitable it would have been done to the point of saturation. The fact that it isn't a competitive market suggests that there is no demand.

Although to be honest, if ever there was a time to do a gaming shop, this is it. Games are becoming more and more popular, with adults growing up in the digital age, and kids always being interested in games. I read somewhere a while back that games are closing the gap on videos/dvds as sources of entertainment. That's a pie that I'd like a slice of.