The next Mortal Kombat game...

PkmnTrainerJ

Mortal Kombat is getting a major makeover. For the first original installment on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, Midway is not only tinkering with some of the fundamental features of the long-running fighting franchise, it's going to feature a crossover cast of characters pulled from the pages of DC Comics.

That means Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe will feature Sub-Zero and Scorpion taking on the likes of Superman and Batman. Other characters from each universe have yet to be confirmed for the game, but Mortal Kombat creator Ed Boon told GameSpot the developers were looking for counterparts between the two brands.

The new characters won't be the only changes to the Mortal Kombat formula. Comic fans would no doubt cry foul if Superman dismembered an opponent and then proceeded to beat him to death with his own limbs, so Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe won't carry the familiar M for Mature rating.

As for the storyline excuse for the crossover, some unspecified climactic event causes the Mortal Kombat and DC universes to begin merging. Each world sees itself as being attacked by the other, and their respective characters join the fight to repel the strange invaders. To help pen the tale, Midway has enlisted comic creators Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Grey. The two have worked together previously on a number of DC and Marvel comics including Jonah Hex and Shana the She-Devil.

Source: http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6189516.html

Previews: http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/mort...amp;sid=6189513

First reaction: Erm...right. Not exactly the way I though Mortal Kombat was headed, but it seems like it's a spin-off title and some MK spin-offs are okay. As long as we do get a new group of Mortal Kombat characters to replace some of the shoddy ones given lately (Taven, Jarek and that Hwoarang rip-off bloke)

Also, the whole ripping off limbs thing is kind of a trademark. It's what made MK so popular because when it surfaced it "went there." I figure it would've been fine if they wanted to be so picky just make some character not be able to disembowel the other?

Really, why didn't they just make a straight-forward DC fighting game? Aside from a few key original characters, people only really gave a shit about them because they ripped off limbs and set them on fire. Take that away and you just have your basic generic character archetypes. It would be one thing if the MK creators set out to do a DC fighting game and then stuck some MK characters as hidden unlockables but having a DC/MK crossover when no one really wanted one in addition to taking away the very things the characters are known for seems just really unnecessary and grasping for straws to me.

I'm all in favor for this, story should be great as I really like Palmiotti's work on Jonah Hex. Plus we haven't seen anything decent related to DC since SNES days