Download the new NIN single for free

tristy

And it's pretty fucking catchy.

"Discipline" is available for download here. As many people have noticed, the comment in the mp3 says "Go to www.nin.com May 5" and the embedded artwork can be viewed here.

This single is from a completely different (and new) album than Ghosts: I-IV. The announcement of the album and maybe a tracklisting will probably be on the May 5th date referenced in the tags for the MP3. The album will also probably be released in 2 weeks, if the "2 weeks" post on nin.com is anything to go by.

Here's a little background on the single, courtesy of Wikipedia:

American radio stations began playing a new Nine Inch Nails song entitled "Discipline", which contains lyrics, on April 22, 2008. It was mastered by Alan Moulder less than 24 hours prior to this.

There was also a photo on NIN's Flickr account a few weeks ago titled "four guys up to something", which was probably the recording of the single/album. Reznor is a madman, and he's released more material in the first half of this year than most bands release in a whole year. "Ghosts", which was an entirely instrumental album released without the backing of a major label, debuted at #14 on the American charts.

I feel like 2008 is Reznor's year to prove to everyone that his music is still relevant, some 20 years after Nine Inch Nails was originally formed.

Yesterday he mentioned something about 2 weeks: knowing Reznor it isn't going to be a let down

Relaunch of Spiral? Possibly but I don't think that's 'News' enough

Ghosts V-VII? More likely but knowing this is what he said last time he could be trying to catch us out

New EP/LP? The EP is VERY likely but not sure if he can create a full album within two weeks

Damnit he's competing with Radiohead on who can please the most fans in a year >_<

It's probably a new album or EP. You have to remember that he's probably been in the studio working on new things since the release of Ghosts. The man is a machine. I guess that's how you stay on the wagon though. Keep yourself busy.

So he's probably been working on it for a month or more already. The 2 weeks notice is probably the release date, and that gives them enough time to work out any kinks or finish any production that needs to be done.

I'm pretty sure it'll be a new album as it was rumored awhile back that this year would feature his follow-up to Year Zero and while Ghosts was released a month and a half ago, those tracks could easily have been remnants of his work on this possible album and even some older stuff that they just mastered for public release.

I just don't see how it can be anything else, really.

Yesterday he mentioned something about 2 weeks: knowing Reznor it isn't going to be a let down

Relaunch of Spiral? Possibly but I don't think that's 'News' enough

Ghosts V-VII? More likely but knowing this is what he said last time he could be trying to catch us out

New EP/LP? The EP is VERY likely but not sure if he can create a full album within two weeks

The Spiral isn't coming back.

I strongly doubt it's going to be another Ghosts, and it's definately not Year Zero II.

I'm 98% going to be a new EP. Pictures of Josh Freese with a mic'd up drum kit was posted on the site, along with the live band talking in a studio.

Also, he said more tour devlopments. Like a Wisconsin date, hopefully.

Edited by Ash J. Williams

I think it would come later on as they're working Lollapolooza and then they have a Minneapolis date immediately after that so I wouldn't hold your breath on that, though I would absolutely be there if there was one.

And an EP would be good but I'm holding out hope that it's a full blown LP.

I think it would come later on as they're working Lollapolooza and then they have a Minneapolis date immediately after that so I wouldn't hold your breath on that, though I would absolutely be there if there was one.

Sadly, I believe you're right...but, (because I'm an optimist) look at the open dates around Minneapolis/Canada/Chicago...I know they always come here, and I'm dying to finally see them, haha.

just downloaded the album and it's awesome from what i've heard so far

But I've only just realised that i'm starting to hear 1979 by the Smashing Pumpkins near the end of Echoplex. I know that's not really it but the whole background guitar has the exact same tune with extra fuzz.

I could just be imagining this because of all the GTA i've been playing but listen to Echoplex from about a min from the end

Either Trent has the largest stockpile of unreleased music ever, or he really was just waiting to get the hell out of his record deal to start working.

Well, I'd imagine 20 years in the music industry could build up a fine catalogue of unreleased tunes.