EWB Top 25 Footballers

Animal

To be fair - Eyal Berkovic was probably better than Aljosa Asanovic simply because he could make teams beat Man Utd...

Wait are we not discussing this now?

Asanovic would have been better if he settled and didn't leave after a year. Bastard.

Although if thats the criteria, Paulo Wanchope > *

And Stoker, Asanovic was a class player. You may see it as beating a dead horse, but he was pretty shit hot, no matter where he went. He fits better in the list that IAceI gave >_.

Edited by rvdwannabe

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bah.

If I remember from the lists I saw, I expect a high placing from Litmanen, which I'd be pretty happy with, whether he arguably deserves to be up there or not.

Has he even played for Fulham yet? I recall Hodgson saying he could be 'our diamond in the rough' to get them out of relegation like 4 weeks ago, don't remember him on a match of the day though.

To be fair, me and my mate just play hangman in Psychology with players like that. We don't actually talk about how good they were, but Eyal Berkovic was a fantastic playmaker.

Today saw the likes of Raimond Van Der Gouw, Muzzy Izzett, Marcus Stewart, Hidetoshi Nakata, Steve Ogrizovic etc.

To be fair, me and my mate just play hangman in Psychology with players like that. We don't actually talk about how good they were, but Eyal Berkovic was a fantastic playmaker.

Today saw the likes of Raimond Van Der Gouw, Muzzy Izzett, Marcus Stewart, Hidetoshi Nakata, Steve Ogrizovic etc.

Marcus Stewart is actually the best player i've seen in an Ipswich shirt since i've been going. Very under rated.

He wasn't pacey but he had such a class footballing brain and a could score a few goals. First season Ipswich got in the Premiership in 2000, Stewart was the top English goal scorer in the league, i actually think he may have been top or second overall for goals in the division actually that year but didn't even get mentioned to play for England, which was disappointing, he really deserved it.

Oh that year when Ipswich were good again. Watching them beat Barnsley in the last game at the old Wembley in the play-offs still is the best day of my life. Remember it like it was yesterday. Liverpool beat us to a Champions League place the year after that on the last day of the season, bastards lol.

Edited by new_era

19. Cristiano Ronaldo

p1_ronaldo_0601.jpg

Country of Origin Portugal

Teams Sporting Clube de Portugal, Manchester United

Style Glorious Monkey

Description

Oh boy are we going to have discussion about this entry (please keep it civil guys). I'll just try to make you happy wheter you love him or hate him. First let's cater to the people who love him. He combines a velvet technique with insight, great passing and a good shot. Ronaldo is the product of the Sporting CP youth academy and the first one to profit of the ManU Sporting collaboration program. Following a 12.24 million pound transfer from Lisboa to Manchester, Ronaldo was awarded the legendary #7 shirt, worn by the likes of Best, Robson, Cantona and Beckham. This season seems to be his best season yet as he and Manchester are heading towards the Premier League title and the Champions League.

Now for the people who hate him. Cristiano Ronaldo combines a velvet technique with insight, great passing and a tendency to fall down over nothing. Ronaldo is that annoying guy who got Rooney a red card and screwed England over. Following a 12.24 million pound transfer from Lisboa to Manchester, Ronaldo was given the legendary #7 shirt, god knows why this spot monkey deserved that. This season he has been more annoying then ever, let's just hope he and Manchester are not heading towards the Premier League title and the Champions League.

Video

Fact Ronaldo was named by his father after the former United States President, Ronald Reagan.

18. Jari Litmanen

400x400_JariLitmanenNew2.jpg

Country of Origin Finalnd

Teams Reipas, HJK Helsinki, MyPa, Ajax, Barcelona, Liverpool, FC Lahti, Hansa Rostock, Malmo FF, Fulham

Style Man of Glass

Description

Litmanen had his big breaktrough playing at Ajax between 1992 and 1999. He played in a team consisting of Seedorf, Davids, Kluivert, Frank and Ronald de Boer, Blind, Rijkaard and Overmars but still managed to become the most popular player of the squad. The Finnish midfielder was calm but deadly, he could give a pass so sharp it would cut the defence right open and he could shoot from every angle. After Ajax he went on to play for the likes of Liverpool and Barcelona but injuries prevented him from ever becoming a huge superstar there.

Litmanen has to be the single most unlucky player on this list. Causes of injuries include: falling down the stairs while carrying a glass of milk, getting a clip of a can of soda in his eye and most recently he got a ball to the back of his head just when he was ready to make his debut for Fulham.

Video Litmanen wooohoooo

Fact In his career that already lasts 20 years, Litmanen only got one red card.

I'm okay with Ronaldo's position. Personally I wouldn't have in my top 25 but he is a very good player and 19th place isn't outrageous. I'm not a fan of him myself but I expected he'd be a lot higher because it seemed that lots of people voted for him.

Also, the Litmanen entry reminded me of that Ajax team. They were a fantastic team and the Champions League final in 95(I think), was one of the first matches I can remember watching.

Glad to see Litmanen here as he's the type of technically sound player I love to watch. And I can't argue with Ronaldo's inclusion. He's easily one of the 25 best footballers I've seen play, I didn't vote for him because he's a twat, but longetivity doesn't make you a great footballer.

17. Luis Figo

p1_figo_0908.jpg

Country of Origin Portugal

Teams Sporting Clube de Portugal, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Internazionale

Style Run brick wall, run!

Description

One of the few players to make the controversial switch from Barcelona to Real Madrid, Figo has always been admired by many. His technique was definitely above average but what sets him apart from the group is that Figo was strong, determined and never gave up. He was noticed at a young age by Sporting CP HE became an important player for the team and at only 23 he made a move to giants Barcelona. There Figo went on to win 2 league titles, one Copa Del Rey and a Cup Winners Cup. In 2000 Figo made the switch to Real Madrid and cemented their star packed squad ever more. After David Beckham came to Real Madrid Figo was told he could leave the club for free and he joined Inter. He still plays there and is looking towards taking a directorial role at the club once his contract expires.

Video

Fact Prior to moving to Barcelona, Figo signed contracts at both Parma and Juventus resulting in a two year ban from all Italian matches. The deals were canceled and Figo went to Barcelona.

16. Franco Baresi

WC90_048.jpg

Country of Origin Italy

Teams AC Milan

Style Sober Superior

Description

In this day and age you don't see many footballers who stay loyal to their club. AC Milan seems to have it figured out. Their club icons rarely go anywhere else after they land at San Siro. Franco Baresi is one of those guys as he played for Milan for two decades. Baresi is the embodiment of AC Milan, a simple man doing his job day in day out without missing a beat. And doing it brilliantly I might add. In his career Baresi won three European Cups. three European Supercups, six Italian championships, four Italian Supercups and a FIFA World Cup. Baresi is currently involved in the youth academy of AC Milan.

Video

FactBaresi's brother Giuseppe is a youth coach for AC Milan's arch rivals Internazionale.