EWB Top 25 Footballers

Animal

So without further delay, here is the list starting with the last two in the list:

25. Ronaldo de Assis Moreira AKA Ronaldinho

nike-ronaldinho.jpg

Country of Origin Brazil

Teams Gremio, Paris Saint-Germain, Barcelona

Style Antelope crossed with a seal, mothered by a juggler.

Description

Like so many young Brasilian footballers, Ronaldinho started his career playing on the beach. This combined with a love of futsal made Ronladinho into the technical master that he is today.

At the age of 21, Ronaldinho made the move to Europe, after several bids from English Premier League sides being rejected by his club Gremio, Paris SG managed to sign the little Ronaldo (what Ronaldinho means).

Ronaldinho has always been acknowledged for his talent but after the 2002 World Cup his market value sky rocketed and PAris SG wasn't able to hold on to him. Ronaldinho signed with Barcelona and lead them to victory in the 2006 Champions League.

As well as being incredible footballers, Brazilian players are also known to, shall we say, live their life to the fullest and Ronaldinho is no exception. Criticism is rising as people close to Ronaldinho reveal he much rather parties all night then show up in time for practice. A leave from Barca seems imminent and his agent revealed that Ronaldinho has come to terms with AC Milan. Barcelona has yet to deny or acknowledge this rumor.

Video Friendly advice, turn off the sound!

Fact Ronaldinho brother and agent was a big talent himself, playing at Gremio, but after an injury he had to stop playing.

24. Roy Maurice Keane

p1_keane_2_1118.jpg

Country of Origin Ireland

Teams Cobh Ramblers, Nottingham Forrest, Manchester United, Celtic

Style Berserker with a golden touch.

Description

If anything Roy Keane is an icon in Irish sports history. Known for being a hot headed rebel in and outside of the field but always remembered as a brilliant director on the midfield of one of the best Manchester United squads this side of the second world war.

As a child Roy Keane became a great admirer of Bryan Robson, little did tiny Keano knew that he was going to be standing in his footsteps at Old Trafford winning seven Premier League Titles, 4 FA Cups and 1 Champions League.

Keane was an amazing footballer but also wasn't afraid to speak his mind. During his career he had numerous altercations with his managers. This eventually led to his departure from Manchester United and his retirement from the Irish national team.

Keane currently manages Sunderland

Video There is only one Keano!

Fact Roy Keane originally supported Tottenham Hotspurs!

Stay tuned for the next two in the list tomorrow!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I have a point system, if a player gets voted #1 once and another gets voted #10 twice the one who got voted #1 once will end up higher on the list.

Hopefully a possible future list will have some more votes so it gets more reliable. For now I'm just having fun with what I got.

You have to wonder about this list already when Roy Keane is placed above Ronaldinho....

You have to wonder about this list when Keane's highlight video isn't just of his tackle on Haaland. This top 25 footballers was a good idea but the majority of the votes were ridiculous.

You have to wonder about this list already when Roy Keane is placed above Ronaldinho....

Are you taking the piss? I'd much rather have a Roy Keane in my team than a Ronaldinho any day of the week! There has not been a midfielder as tenacious, determined and an all round leader as good as Keane was in my 18years I've been around.

Roy Maurice Keane, I salute you :wub:

23. Paul John Gascoigne

gazza_2.jpg

Country of Origin England

Teams Newcastle United, Tottenham Hotspurs, Lazio Roma, Glasgow Rangers, Middlesbrough, Everton, Burnley, Gansu Tianma, Boston United

Style Brick Sniper Rifle Clown

Description

I think Paul Gascoigne resembles what most non British people picture when they think of a typical Englishman. This guy looks like he sits in the pub from sun rise till sundown and if he didn't became a professional footballer he probably would've. The only difference is that Gazza was blessed with sensational skills. For a man of his posture he showed incredible technique and flair, becoming an instant fan favorite whatever team he played for.

Suprisingly, Gascoigne never won the English national championship in his career. The only two national titles he picked up were the Scottish national championships in 1996 and 1997 during his time with the Rangers. Besides that he won the 1996 Scottish Cup, the 1997 Scottish League Cup with Rangers and the FA Cup with Spurs in 1991.

Not to take anything away from the Scottish League, but despite the lack of any real big success in his career, Gazzamania was running wild during the early nineties, Gazza even made #2 in the UK Top 40 with the song Fog on the Tyne. Gascoigne was a man of the people, someone you could relate to. Take away the social problems surrounding him and you'd end up with a enormous talent and a heart of gold.

Video

Fact In 2004 Gascoigne announced that he would liked to be referred of as G8 to cement his new TV persona

22. Kevin Beattie

beattie_kevin_0001.jpg

Country of Origin England

Teams Ipswich Town, Colchester United, Middlesbrough, Sandvikens IF

Style Englandicana

Description

I'll be honest, I don't know much about this guy. I'm sure he rwached a James Dean like status in Brittain but outside of the island he is never regarded as one of the best players ever. From what I hear he could've been a household name worldwide but like so many, injuries made him retire from professional at the age of 28 . His best days were at Ipswich where he won the UEFA Cup in 1981. Despite playing a huge part in getting Ipswich to the finals, Beattie never got a winners medal. Luckily some people still have a sense of cult and it has been announced Beattie will receive his medal this year.

And when Sir Bobby Robson calls you the best English born player he has ever seen, you know you're not just some guy who used to kick a ball around!

Video

Fact Despite being an awesome defender, Beattie only played 9 caps for England

Edited by Animal

Are you taking the piss? I'd much rather have a Roy Keane in my team than a Ronaldinho any day of the week! There has not been a midfielder as tenacious, determined and an all round leader as good as Keane was in my 18years I've been around.

Roy Maurice Keane, I salute you :wub:

Either you're a United fan, or just extremely uneducated.... or both.

I'd rather have Keane than Ronaldinho, too. I'm suprised anyone thinks otherwise to be honest. Keane was a great leader and highly influencial both on and off the pitch throughout his entire career wheras Ronaldinho had a decent spell where his tricks came off for three years before fizzling out.

Edited by brenchill

Why would I not have Keane?

_41033764_haaland-pa220.jpg

Who deliberately sets out to injure someone, then stands over them screaming at them to "get up" when they're lying injured receiving treatment on the pitch?

IIRC wasn't it a certain Alf Inge Haaland who stood over Roy Keane (who btw was injured) telling him to get up!

So who's uneducated now?

Is it a little bit of Gooner bias we're seeing here?

Kevin Beattie! WOO!

Bobby Robson also said that his dream would have been to see Beattie in his prime marking Ronaldo (the fat Brazilian) in his prime. He truly was awesome, i know i never saw him play, well not live anyway but he's just been voted the best Ipswich Town player ever.

Plus it helps that he's my godfather and was my dads best man at his wedding, he even got mentioned in his autobiography lol. I have the shirt he wore in the F.A Cup final.

People seem to forget Ipswich were the best team in England for years, followed by Liverpool. Robson still says today that not winning the old first division with Ipswich after coming close so many times is the biggest disappointment of his career. But i suppose you can't complain with a few other league titles, an F.A Cup and a Uefa Cup, can you?

As for Keane, i find he's like marmtite, you love him or hate him.

A lover of Roy Keane right here, well, not in that way :pervert: .. i was gonna change the wording but, i found it amuzing lol.

Edited by new_era

Why would I not have Keane?

_41033764_haaland-pa220.jpg

Who deliberately sets out to injure someone, then stands over them screaming at them to "get up" when they're lying injured receiving treatment on the pitch?

IIRC wasn't it a certain Alf Inge Haaland who stood over Roy Keane (who btw was injured) telling him to get up!

So who's uneducated now?

Is it a little bit of Gooner bias we're seeing here?

I knew that. But Haaland's tackle was unintentional. Keane had been waiting for the opportunity to try and end Haaland's career for years. He deserved to be thrown out of football for life - no matter who he played for.

Exactly, Haaland made a mistake and didn't believe Keane was as injured as he claimed to be. Fair enough, there was no malice in it. It was clear as day to absolutely everyone who has seen that tackle that Keane was doing nothing but trying to end Haaland's career.

Ultimately it was the other knee that stopped Haaland playing, but for the premeditated attempt to do that himself by Keane I've absolutely no respect for him whatsoever. You can be as good a player as you want, but in any "normal" industry he'd have been booted out for deliberately trying to take another person's career away.

I'd take a peak Ronaldinho over a peak Keane. However now I wouldn't let either of them near any club I care about as a player or manager.