Your Big Gay Face

YI

DOWNLOAD LINK (RAPIDSHARE):

http://rapidshare.com/files/121092500/Big_Gay_2008.rar.html

DOWNLOAD LINK (MEGAUPLOAD):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F4W0QV7X

Last time I did one of these, it got fuck all response...but whatever...I've cut down the number of tracks and maybe put more 'obscure' stuff in, in hopes of tempting you to download. Seriously. It's 80mb. 1-hour of your time. A fair bit of variation, you might just find your new favourite band. :shifty:

TRACKLIST;

1. "Better Anyway" by Parka

If this song gets radio play it's a surefire hit, and will be a song sang in pubs across the UK for years to come. Incredibly catchy indie-rock in the same vein as The Fratellis.

2. "But Aquaman, You Cannot Marry A Woman Without Gills" by Flash! Flash! Flash! Photography

Indie/emo/punk. A real nice blend. Whatever it is, it's insanely catchy stuff. They will be support Lost Prophets at a Download warmup show on Wednesday, so could possibly go places.

3. "The Baltic Sea" by The Social Services

A really cute indie-pop song. I've been finding myself whistling the "We can be your friends" ending to myself for over a month now.

4. "All Here" by A Broken Robot

The 4th UK band (well Social Services are Scottish/Swedish) so far, and are another act providing throwback to the golden days of 'indie-emo'. Fans of American Football, Look Mexico and Say Anything should really like, the first two especially.

5. "Jesus, Satan, Gene Beeman, His Car, & Pizza Hut" by Scott Reynolds and the Steaming Beast

The first American artist on the list. It's alt-rock/singer-songwriter stuff. A real funky groove to it, with a blend of 'Americana'. Top notch track.

6. "Echapper Au Sort" by Karkwa

Canadian band who sing in French, but that really doesn't take away from things. It really sounds like another band, it's not Arcade Fire (Although there is a bit of an Arcade Fire vibe), but it actually sounds near identical to another indie band, but I cannot put my finger on it. Maybe someone else will.

7. "Starraiders and Spaceinvaders" by Me vs Hero

UK based melodic-hardcore/power-pop band, much like the almighty Four Year Strong. Think Fall Out Boy (pre "Infinity...") but with hardcore style riffs and gang vocals.

8. "Woody Guthrie (Where Have You Gone?)" by American Lies

There's been a total influx of folk-punk bands recently, this is one of the cream of the crops. Definately 'reckless' punk sound to it, where things overlap, don't quite fit, but at the same time, it blends together so perfectly. Great tune.

9. "Wherever There Is Light" by No-Man

Quite possibly my favourite track here. Post-Rock meets an 80's ballad!!! Fucking brilliant. Side project of Steven Wilson, frontman for prog-rock outfit, Porcupine Tree.

10. "Breakable" by Ingrid Michaelson

"Have you ever thought about what protects our hearts? Just a cage of rib bones and other various parts." A beautiful piano number, sharing a lot in common with New Buffalo (aka. Sally Seltmann).

11. "Friday Boy" by Kirsten Morrell

Vocalist from New Zealand born (but London based...yet you have to fucking import their album into the country..grrr) Goldenhorse. A 'quirky', cute track, which has the backing of my dad. So you know it's good!

12. "Ice" by Lights

Quite possibly my favourite new artist. Insanely catchy electro-pop, with a chorus that would make Vengaboys jealous.

13. "Look Up" by Oppenheimer

Falsetto voiced, electronic twinged, indie-rock from Northern Ireland. Simple enough track, but it's proof that simple is good, as you'll be singing the chorus to yourself non-stop.

14. "A Life Alive" by d_rradio

Artsy electronica project based locally to me. A lot of their stuff is fairly ambient, but this is a much more dancier number. Shades of Daft Punk coming through. I've seen these guys twice recently and both times they were great.

15. "This Aint A Scene (It's a God Damn Arms Race)" by Roommate

Brooding, lo-fi electronica, cover of the Fall Out Boy song. He's totally reinvented the tune and it's top notch stuff. Great vocals.

16. "I'm Good, I'm Gone" by Lykke Li

Danceable number from Swedish singer Lykke Li. It's a song that's begging to be put to an I-Pod advert. Although, that may just be because it sounds horifcally like a song Feist forgot to record. But still, great track.

17. "Fortune Favours The Bold" by Lets Talk Tactics

I think this is what is known in the UK as 'new wave'. Basically indie-rock, but with synths and stuff, and a massive fuckoff breakdown halfway through which puts new Pendulum to shame.

18. "Leatherface Fan" by Mike Hale

By now you should all know about my man-crush on Mike Hale. And I too am I Leatherface fan! Best thing ever to come out of Sunderland. It's weird that a relatively obscure band formed here in the 80's became the basis for an entire 'genre' of punk-rock in America. This however is a sweet little acoustic number. Mike Hale seriously has a brilliant voice.

19. "Reckless Encounters" by Benbrick

How to best describe this piano based track...Jamie T meets Angels & Airwaves? I think that will do. A really, really beautiful song, if you can get away with his vocals. I guarantee you'll be singing along to "The world can't hold you back. Words can't hold you back. We're sitting in the stars facing mars dreams play out from afar...", such a kick arse vocal pattern.

20. "We Own The Sky" by M83

Atmospheric, electro-pop artist M83 finishes off this playlist with arguably one of the most triumphant and epic tunes I have heard in years. But it's not as if the French artist is trying to be over the top or cheesily epic. It just happens. The wall of sound, the vocals, the riff. Everything. It just sounds so natural, so beautiful. I wouldn't finish the playlist with any other song.

Edited by YI

Of the ones I hadn't listened to multiple times before hand my favourites are;

"Ice" by Lights

"Fortune Favours the Bold" by Let's Talk Tactics

"Reckless Encounters" by Benbrick

I think FFTB by LTT would be an amazingly insane thing at a gig.

RapidShare are going crazy with their verification process. LOOK AT THESE CHARACTERS "4F6CMyFh". Only type the ones attached to a cat into this box.

WHAT.THE.FUCK?

Dunno any of these bands/artists, but I'm still downloading because I generally like your taste in music. We shall see if it holds true again though.

Wait, you found proper Lights tracks and didn't tell me? Bastard!

I did. I posted the link over at D-lyrium. It's in the request thread. (Y)

Edited by YI

I have no clue who any of the artists are, or if I'll even like any of it, but I'll give it a go, if only because I've tried a few of your comps before. I'll report back if anything worth saying about the songs strikes me.