2008/2009 NBA Thread v2.0

jrtdot

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have pretty much no depth at the point, not to mention a fairly lackluster bench in general.

Plus with KG et al there, I don't think you'll be hearing a whole lot out of the guy. That is, if he's smart...which hasn't necessarily proven to be the case. Either way, it's a low risk, high reward move. Low risk in that it doesn't really affect them in any way and high reward in that he did have talent once. Maybe he'll find it again on a team that doesn't suck.

They have pretty much no depth at the point, not to mention a fairly lackluster bench in general.

Plus with KG et al there, I don't think you'll be hearing a whole lot out of the guy. That is, if he's smart...which hasn't necessarily proven to be the case. Either way, it's a low risk, high reward move. Low risk in that it doesn't really affect them in any way and high reward in that he did have talent once. Maybe he'll find it again on a team that doesn't suck.

Marbury gives them a chance to have him and Eddie House out there at the same time, thus being able to give Pierce and Rondo breathers at the same time. If he still has some left in the tank, he can get them 20-25 mins off the bench perhaps. If not he'll still provide 10-12. They need the depth, and if he acts up they can get rid of him.

My only worry would be if he is still in game shape, since it has been awhile since he has played a meaningful game.

Again, 10 minutes a game should have most of the rust shaken off for the playoffs. They'll really need him for then, especially if we get the expected Boston/Cleveland war in the conference finals. Rondo, Pierce, House, and Marbury against Williams, West, and Gibson? Those would be some matchups to watch.

Damned rough day yesterday for the Chicago basketball community.

Van Lier found dead at home

Associated Press

CHICAGO -- Norm Van Lier, one of the most popular players in Chicago Bulls history and one of the NBA's top defensive players in the 1970s, was found dead in his home just blocks away from the team's arena Thursday. He was 61.

The cause of death was not immediately known, authorities said.

Van Lier's death was discovered on the same day that former Bulls coach Johnny "Red" Kerr died.

Kerr, 76, coached the Bulls to the playoffs in their inaugural 1966-67 season and spent more than 30 years calling their games on local broadcast outlets.

Van Lier, who most recently worked for Comcast SportsNet Chicago, had been scheduled as a pre- and post-game analyst for Wednesday night's Bulls game with the New Jersey Nets.

Comcast officials became concerned when Van Lier did not show up for work and could not be reached Thursday. An employee was sent to his apartment near the United Center on the city's near West Side, said Jim Corno, president of Comcast SportsNet Chicago. The employee tried unsuccessfully to get inside.

Authorities responded to a subsequent well-being check and found Van Lier unresponsive shortly before 1 p.m. He was pronounced dead at the scene, Chicago Fire Department spokesman Quention Curtis said.

The Cook County Medical Examiner's office confirmed Van Lier's death but said a cause was not immediately known.

"Norm Van Lier was one of the all-time greats ever to put on a Chicago Bulls uniform," team chairman Jerry Reinsdorf said in a statement. "Along with Jerry Sloan, he set a standard for Bulls defense and toughness which we will never forget and which we will always strive to replicate."

Van Lier began his NBA career with Cincinnati in 1969. He later spent more than six seasons with the Chicago Bulls before finishing his career with Milwaukee in 1979.

A three-time All-Star, Van Lier played on five playoff teams.

It was Van Lier's time with the Bulls for which he was most vividly remembered.

Van Lier was a defensive standout and a fan favorite who was given the name "Stormin' Norman" for his fiery play and defensive tenacity.

Part of the NBA's all-defensive first or second teams eight times, Van Lier and longtime teammate Sloan, now the coach of the Utah Jazz, formed one of the top defensive guard tandems in NBA history.

"That's really a shame. He was an unbelievable competitor and a great teammate," said Houston coach Rick Adelman, who played with him in Chicago from 1973-75. "I really enjoyed the time with him and Sloan at the guards. You really can't have two better competitors."

Los Angeles Lakers coach Phil Jackson remembered playing against Van Lier during their NBA careers and "trying to avoid running over him because he always stepped in your way. He was one of those guys that always tried to get a charge and turn the game over," Jackson said.

The two men were reunited in Chicago when Jackson coached the Bulls for nine years and guided them to six NBA championships.

"Norm was a die-hard Bulls guy," Jackson said.

Van Lier retired after the 1979 season with 8,770 points and 5,217 assists. He finished among the league's top 10 in assists eight times, and among the league's top 10 in steals per game three times, according to Basketball-Reference.com.

"Norm was a complete player, a wonderful passer, a tenacious rebounder and an original character in the 1970s," NBA Commissioner David Stern said in a statement. "We are all fortunate that Norm continued to share his passion and insight as a broadcaster for the Bulls since the early '90s."

Van Lier the analyst remained a huge Bulls fan, albeit at times a critical one who would call out players he did not think were playing hard or smart.

"If he felt like a guy was not giving maximum effort and not playing the right way he'd let him have it in the post-game show," said Mark Schanowski, the host of the pre- and post-game shows who worked with Van Lier for four years.

"He wore the Bulls on his sleeve," Corno said. "When the Bulls played well, Norm was good and happy enough. When they didn't play well, he felt it."

At least Red made it to find out he was going into the Hall of Fame, even if he didn't get to the actual ceremony. And I'm too young to have seen Van Lier play, but he was a pretty solid broadcaster. RIP for both guys.

What does anyone think of Travis Deiner

he has been on the Pacers list for some time, struggled a bit with injuries but I know the pacers are pretty high on him.

His 3 point ability this season has been great, but far too many times he doesn't get on the court or is on but doesn't shoot at all.

I think this kid has a future, any one else?

• 2 weeks later...

I am really digging Pops Mensah-Bonshu, in like 5 games has won over fans and is already a big rebounding contributer. I think this may be the bench player the Raptors needed all season, because it is obvious that Joey Graham, Kapono, Humphries (though mainly this season because of his injury), Jake "Whatcha Who's It" Voshkol, and company cannot consistently provide a spark. If they can lock him up for another season or two I think it would really help the Raps in getting back into the playoff picture next year.

Also, what do you think the chances are that Shawn Marion will re-sign with the Raps. Right now, I'd say they are not in such a great position atm, but I also do think that if the Raps finish off well that they may have a better chance.

Rockets Forward Carl Landry Injured in Shooting

HOUSTON (AP)—Hours after arriving home from an important victory in New Orleans, the Houston Rockets awakened to news that forward Carl Landry had been shot overnight near his home.

Landry, 25, sustained a minor wound to his left calf and is expected to miss only one to three weeks. The team said Landry was treated at a hospital and released.

The shooting occurred about 2:30 a.m., a few hours after the Rockets returned from a 95-84 win over the Hornets that kept them in third place in the Western Conference. The team returned to Houston about 12:30 a.m., then started hearing about the shooting in the early morning.

The Rockets practiced in the afternoon, after many had talked to Landry.

“I’m thankful, and I think everyone is thankful, that Carl is safe,” forward Shane Battier said. “It’s a scary situation. I don’t know the details and I’m not going to speculate on them. The most important thing is that Carl is safe and he’s OK.”

Houston police said Landry was driving his sport utility vehicle southbound on a city street, when a northbound car swerved into his path and collided with his vehicle. Landry and the driver of the other vehicle made U-turns and the vehicles collided again and Landry’s SUV hit a utility pole.

Police spokesman Kese Smith said Landry got out of his SUV to inspect the damage, and was shot by one of the two occupants of the car. The suspects then fled the scene, while Landry ran to get help, police said.

Smith originally said the incident occurred about 4 a.m., but said later that was the time authorities were notified. Smith did not know if Landry was the person who called police.

Landry had a female passenger in his SUV, and she was not injured, police said.

General manager Daryl Morey visited Landry at the hospital and said he sustained a surface wound that was no worse than a calf strain.

“We’re just happy Carl is OK,” Morey said. “By what we can understand, he was very lucky—obviously unlucky to have this situation happen to him, but very lucky that he came out without anything major.”

The 6-foot-9 Landry has become a valuable player off the bench for the Rockets, averaging 9.3 points and five rebounds in his second NBA season. He had 12 points and six rebounds in Monday’s 95-84 win that kept Houston in third place in the Western Conference standings.

Houston coach Rick Adelman said he had not talked to Landry since the shooting. Point guard Aaron Brooks, one of Landry’s closest friends on the team, first heard about the shooting about 5 a.m.

“He just sounded happy, blessed,” said Brooks. “It was a situation that pretty much anybody could’ve been in. He’s just blessed to be OK, blessed that he’s alive and that he’ll be back and be Carl again.”

Adelman said Landry’s injury could mean more playing time for Chuck Hayes and Dikembe Mutombo, who played 25 minutes on Monday’s victory.

“Obviously, it hurts us,” Adelman said of Landry’s absence. “But on the other hand, it’s going to give other guys the chance to step up and play. We’ve got to have that from everybody else. It’s going to hurt us, but he’ll be back and the rest of our group has to try to step up and win games.”

Landry was drafted by Seattle in the second round in 2007, then traded to Houston for a future second-round pick and cash. He averaged eight points and 4.9 rebounds in 2007-08.

In Game 3 of a first-round series against Utah, Landry blocked Deron Williams’ layup try with 3.4 seconds left to preserve Houston’s 94-92 victory. Landry also lost a tooth in that game after taking an elbow from Utah’s Carlos Boozer.

“Carl has been great for us,” Battier said. “His energy and punch off the bench has been outstanding. But it’s ironic that other guys will get a chance to step in, much like he got a chance to step in and give us a lift last year.

“We’re not worried about Carl from the basketball standpoint. That’s the least of our worries. We just want him to get healthy and deal with this episode.”

Before Tuesday’s practice, Adelman talked to his players about staying vigilant when they’re out on their own.

“Hopefully, lessons learned,” Adelman said. “Anybody who goes through a situation like that, you’ve got to look at what’s going on in the world. We all could be thrown into situations.”

• 4 weeks later...

I can't believe this thread is so far down to the second page. I feel like this has been an awesome year for the nba, and I'm personally incredibly hyped for the playoffs because I think, especially in the west, there's going to be some of the best series in playoffs history. There should be more talk about this. Maybe I'm just biased because I have an incredible love for the game. And because I'm a lakers fan, and they're going all the way this year baby. Anyway, yeah, basketball's been good lately.

The West is going to have some of the best playoff series in history? The only team in the West who's shown they're a threat is... umm... hold on... I'll think of one... I guess if you wanted to stretch it... Portland. If they played every game at home. With Bynum out. The Lakers will come out of the West, I really don't see any other answer, barring injury, of course.

The East will have at least one or two good series, when Cleveland, Boston, and Orlando meet up, in whichever combination they do.

As a Lakers fan, the only team I'm worried about in a series is Boston, and thats only because they're the champs, and they're the Celtics. The Cavs are good, but I don't see them beating LA in a seven game series. Same with Orlando.

I do agree that nobody in the west can beat the lakers other than maybe portland, although I wish we were playing the mavs in the first round and not the Jazz, but I guess there's still a chance of that happening.

I am a little worried about the Blazers, though. Watching those games in Portland is always so frustrating for some reason, I just get a feeling they're going to lose every time. I don't think they'd beat LA in a seven game series, but they do have the best chance in the west. It's too bad Ginobili got hurt or I would've given the spurs a chance to make it too. It'll be fun to watch first round games in the west. They are just playing to see who gets fed to LA, I'll admit that, but I think they'll still produce some good games because all of those teams out west are so evenly matched outside of the Lakers. And I'm watching out for the hornets if they get Chandler back too.

Portland won't beat LA.

LA's only threat, ironically, is Houston. The Rockets are a strange team that have the tools to bother Bryant (Artest, Battier) and if Bynum isn't 100%, Yao will have an excellent series.

In the East, I don't think LeBron James is going to be stopped.

Didn't even realize the playoffs started this weekend.

Was able to watch Houston massacre Portland on the first game of their playoff series. Hopefully this is a sign the Rockets can finally get past the first round.

Please do. A four to five game series against Houston is preferable to a six to seven game series against Portland.

EDIT: LOL, woc. I can see Chicago beating Boston -Garnett, and even have picked them, but a ECF run? You gotta go through Orlando. Good luck with that.

Edited by DMNny Doring

When did Chris Paul take the hornets to the conference finals anyway? They got eliminated by the spurs last year in the semis, and that's probably what'll happen to the bulls if they play orlando in the second round. Either way, I still think the celtics are gonna win that series, but it's going to be a 6-7 game series for sure.

Derrick Rose, though, is the man. He reminds me a little of Wade with the way his numbers were just solid but not spectacular as a rookie, but all of a sudden in the playoffs he's turning into a superstar, and he's going to continue it next year. I almost feel bad for Boston though, I really wanted to see a fair Lakers/Celtics rematch in the finals, but they definitely won't make it without KG, as much as I like Powe and big baby.

edit: Also, let's go Lakers.

Edited by El Presidente