The Musician Thread

EddieRuckus

So since the board restarted right as I posted this, I thought I would start this up again. Once again this is a discussion place for how you compose/play/sing/whatever it is you do musically, as I know some of you are in bands or do your own solo stuff.

The first topic I wanted to start was who were your influences or inspirations? For singing, here are my top 5:

John Lennon

Jesse Leach

Howard Jones

Randy Blythe

Aaron Lewis

I really don't have any yet for guitar/piano yet, but I'm sure as I play I'll list some. What about the rest of you?

I play the bass and although I cant say that I have lived up to the talent of the people that inspired me, I might as well list some of favorites;

ICS Vortex

Victor Wooten

Ue-chan

Tim Commerford

These aren't evidently in order but every time I really want to enjoy good or experimental bass-playing, I listen to these.

Edited by SRN

I've got acoustic guitars, a bass and a keyboard...but I can't play any of them.

I was trying to just learn songs instead of learning how to play, but I can't even copy what's written down. I am a failure.

Vocally, I'm inspired by Glenn Danzig, Michale Graves, Argyle Goolsby, TB Monstrosity and J-Sin Trioxin... each of whom have a very different, but equally awesome, take on the 50's style crooning that's dominant in horrorpunk. It fits my voice, and is really the only thing musically that's ever worked out for me.

I was hoping to record even just one of my instruments and some vocals and start like that... but I can't seem to learn how to play... and nobody wants to hear some loser singing with no accompanyment.

I would be interested in listening :shifty:

As for guitar and whatnot, really most of my solo songs are just a bunch of basic chords with some slight variations. For the most part I just sit around and mess around with all sorts of different fingerings until I hear something that sounds right. By basic chords I mean C, D, E, G, and etc, mainly those chords near the top of the neck of the guitar.

Also SRN, it's crazy because the bassist in our band also lists Vortex and Wooten under his influences, along with Claypool. He's honestly the best bass player I've heard so far in the state I live in, and he just keeps getting better. I'm sure you'll live up to or at least be good in your own regard on the bass someday.

:wub: Aw thanks Ekin. Speaking of chords, fingering and what not, after playing around with alot of RATM's stuff I have grown accustomed to the Drop D tuning (D, A, D, G) and I have found that I really like the tunes the bass can produce when tuned like this. So should I ever compose my own stuff or something to that ilk it would most definetely be done in that tuning.

I've had my guitar for more than a year, and know ONE chord. A. And I've been without my e string since February/March. I can't be arsed going to town for just one string.

I can play a few riffs though, even if most are on one string <_< :

"Outshined" - Soundgarden

"Sunshine of my Love" - Cream

"Smoke on the Water" - Deep Purple :shifty:

"Hold On" - Limp Bizkit

The start of "One" by Metallica

"Come As You Are" - Nirvana

"Plush" - Stone Temple Pilots

"Leader of Men" - Nickelback

"Rough Hands" - Alexisonfire

Oh yes, and whilst my tuning is all over the shop, I can do "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol. Which ironic because I HATE that song.

I can also kinda play:

"Jeremy" - Pearl Jam

"Heaven Beside You" - Alice In Chains

"Let Me Drown" & "Loud Love" - Soundgarden

"The Money Will Roll Right In" - Mudhoney

I've been trying to learn "Black Hole Sun" by Soundgarden too, but the tabs seem wrong. It's not me, honest. :shifty:

I just can't seem to get my fingers right, and when I think I have, I play it and I'm not holding the string down properly or whatever.

Edited by TheModernWay

I own one accoustic guitar, 2 electrics, 2 bass guitars, a banjo, a midi controller keyboard thingamajig, a harmonica and now a stylophone.

I class myself as a bassist, as that's the only instrument I've ever played in a band setting, but I can play everything I own to some extent.

I sing and play guitar. I have two acoustics (Takamine G Series being my newest. I lurve it) and an electric. I used to want to just do electric in a band, but then I switched my musical tastes up a bit to more Indie stuff with acoustics and I fell in love with the acoustic guitar.

John Mayer

Jeff Buckley

Conor Oberst

Those are the kind of inspirations that I have. I'm strictly a Singer-Songwriter with just me and an acoustic, so while I do have a few bands that inspire me (The Smiths, The Cure, Bright Eyes, Radiohead) it's more of the songwriters aspect of music that inspires me.

I own an electric guitar, but I suck. I've only been playing for less than a year, but that's no excuse for how much I suck. I used to play the drums, first in school, then on a shitty little set that I picked up for $25 on the side of the road, but I ended up quitting that after the set basically fell apart(the low tom and snare only stood up some of the time, all of the drumheads were about to break, and the damn thing didn't even have basic cymbals). I did get to record one song, though, so that's pretty cool. I recorded a cover version of the Violent Femme's "Blister in the Sun" with two other guys. I sang and played rhythm guitar.

I should mention that we had to record something, it was for guitar class, but it was still pretty cool nonetheless. Now, if only the other two guys would've agreed to actually write an original song...

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I still call myself a drummer although I haven't played at all in over two years now. And I preferred playing jazz/blues to rock anyhow, so I wouldn't fit in too well with the EWB Jammers.

I own an two acoustic guitars, two electrics (including my Gibson Melody Maker which is my most cherished item), a bass, two harmonicas and an accordion. And a ukelele.

I've been playing guitar for about 3/4 years now, can't remember how long exactly and done a few gigs. Last year took advantage of the 'turn up and play' Nokia tent at Reading festival, which is probably the largest crowd my "band" ever played to - with less than brilliant consequences. Still, will do it again this year now that we have better material.

Well, I own an Ibanez bass and an Ibanez guitar but I can't really play anything. I'm really wanting to pick up my bass and learn (without being able to read music mind you) but I'm just unsure as to how this may go. Any suggestions?

I play electric guitar. I've been having lessons for perhaps 2-3 months now. I suck pretty bad, but I'm working hard and getting better. I find it really helps if you just keep a positive attitude and think "Well, I couldn't do that a couple weeks of ago" so you know your getting better. I seem to improve more when I stay positive instead of just sitting there thinking "I suck". I don't think I'm progressing all that fast compared to what other people seem to be saying but my guitar teacher thinks I'm doing pretty good for how long I've been playing. I suppose he would say that. Oh well, I'm young and have plenty of time I guess.

The best way I found to learn was via lessons. That way you know you're getting the best technique and for me it motivated me to practice as I didn't want to turn up to the next one without improving. For guitar, before you got to lessons I would say looked up the chords and learn them (barre and F will take time), even if it's just E/Em, A/Am and work at changing between them. At least them the teacher has something to work with.

I also found a good way to see what I was learning was to put it into song-form as soon as possible. After one lesson I could play C, G and D. Doesn't sound a lot, but then I found Love Me Do by The Beatles, which only had those chords. I felt better then knowing I could play songs.

You don't need that many lessons. Get the basics, practice it alone and get the hang of it, then go back to learn more. It's good to play and talk with other musicians too, you'll learn a lot and it'll help you keep time etc.

Have to agree with the lessons, though I may or may not actually do those myself. I think I've gotten to a point where all that would be done in basic lessons is just how to hold correctly, my thumb likes to rest or slide on top of the neck sometimes. Still, if I have enough money I'll probably do a folk guitar class during the winter session.

And you absolutely have to learn from musicians via actually watching them play or talking to them or youtubing them or whatever. I'm currently in the process of learning Rose of Sharyn, and I have most of the song down minus the really hard single note parts :shifty: Anyway, I couldn't get the little run of notes during the first riff for the lower guitar part until my friend/bandmate Vaylon showed me how to on his guitar. I'm not there yet, but compared to the bumbling mess that was 2 days ago I'm actually able to hit it at 80-90 percent of the full speed, which is pretty cool.

I can play Kong at the Gates on my bass. I looked at the tabs online, and picked it up pretty easily just by listening to the song... but I can't seem to do that for anything else.

Anybody else name their instruments, or am I just totally lame?

Kinda tradition in our band, our bass player's 6 String is called Vladimir, our guitar player's 7-string Ibanez is Guinevere, don't know if he has a name yet for his red LTD axe, but his pink JJ heart guitar complete with custom fingernail artwork that he did is called Rosalita.

I have no idea what to call my Ibanez though, I was thinking of Omerta but wasn't too sure. Willing to listen to suggestions.

I can play Killing In The Name, although that is the only song I can actually play from start till finish. Otherwise I know like bits and pieces of various songs that I have never really learned fully or intend to learn but have never gotten around to it.