The Musician Thread

EddieRuckus

I can play a few covers of songs I enjoy, then again they are rather easy for me on the acoustic or electric.

"Outside" by Staind

"Everything Changes" by Staind

"Polly" by Nirvana(or any other simple power-chord Nirvana tunes)

"Wake up in New York" by Craig Armstrong

Most of "Element of One" by Killswitch(the second guitar part, or the easier one anyway that plays chords)

The intro riff to "Remorse is for the Dead" by Lamb of God

Also, I still need a name for my guitar, though hopefully tomorrow at the show I can get one for it. Still willing to listen to suggestions though :)

I played string bass in my school's orchestra for 9 years. I've been playing bass guitar for 7 years.

I sing in a band too. I can play pretty much anything and everything if I try.

Except the end of "One" by Metallica...waaay too fast. Sure, I could play it with a pick...but I'm a purist.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to dredge up an old topic, but I figured this would be the place to ask.

I'm wanting to put together a collaborative project of sorts, via the internet.

What I'm wanting to do is start small, with maybe someone recording an acoustic guitar, and sending me the mp3 file so that I can record vocals and piece it together.

Of course, the ultimate goal is to have several people contributing several different things, with the only constant really being my vocals. So, it's not a band in the traditional sense, but I'm calling it one anyways. Everyone who contributes will be credited.

What I want to do, is start off with cover songs, which will be made available for download, set up a MySpace to add to the number of potential contributers, and then eventually start putting together original songs.

Right now, I'm hoping for someone to be willing to do some acoustic covers of horrorpunk songs, but I'm open to suggestions from people who legitimately want to collaborate.

So, this is for any musicians who can play, but are too shy to lend their voice to it. You play, record and send it to me... I'll sing, record and put it together, and then put it up for download.

I'm calling the project, Jack and the Rippers.

I actually had this idea up in my head when this thread was still kickin, but wanted to wait to bring it up until it was hard for conversation, and obviously I totally spaced it out :P

I think it would be cool though to do a collaboration and get other collaborations rolling around here. I have some simple guitar chord structures that I'd love other people to add lyrics/vocals/bass/drums to, just to see how it sounds. Would be like a jam, except without all the screwups, haha.

Have you pieced together whole songs out of your arrangements? If it's okay with you to have horror-inspired lyrics, I wouldn't mind giving them a listen and seeing if I can write something.

Aside from that, would you already know some songs, or be willing and able to learn some? We haven't really talked in awhile, but it would be cool to put something together with you.

Yep, I have whole songs, but for the most part they only use about 6 to 8 chords, mainly just strummed songs. And yes I would be willing to learn, though I'm still at the bridge between beginner and intermediate in terms of guitar playing. Would be cool to work on something though :)

That's awesome.

Add me to msn and we'll talk about stuff.

everythingburns.whysoserious@hotmail.com

For the most part, classic Misfits songs seem to be fairly easy to play on the guitar. Lots of power chords.... and I figure that might be a good place to start.

Other than that, I'd love to try and put some lyrics to some of your stuff.

Ive played geetargh for about....6 years now? And only really recently started progressing to a level where I don't get embarrassed playing front of others. Dream Theatre are my big inspiration of the past few years because I just love the transitions and how the songs always go forward and never back.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update...

Ekin and I have a couple of rough songs done. We just need to polish them up a little before we release anything.

I also wanted to say that I'm still looking for people who want to collaborate. Ekin and I are doing well, but he's busy with school a lot, and I have a million ideas running through my head for things I'd like to do. Anybody who can contribute anything, whether it's another guitarist who needs lyrics and vocals for their songs, or a bassist or drummer who would like to add to the songs we've already got... anything would be awesome.

Like I said, I've got all this free time, and all these ideas, but as a lyricist/vocalist, I'm pretty limited to what I can do by myself.

I "play" guitar, bass, cajon and keyboards/synths, although really I don't have a clue what I'm doing on any of them. The only one I'm close to a reasonable standard on is bass, I play a Kip Winger Custom Aria, cut down to two strings (leaving the E and A strings in the middle, tuned to D and A), and played with a slide. When it comes to any more conventional methods of playing, I'm absolutely lost.

Influences, though, are: Mark Sandman (an obvious one considering I've nicked his playing technique) and Greg Anderson, primarily.

I sing too, moreso than I play any instruments, and even when I'm not in a band of my own I tend to end up doing guest bits with friends' bands, although my singing is fairly dreadful.

Well, I play the bass but I wouldn't call myself competent in either song writing or composing. That is, I dont really know what you are actually looking for. Someone to just add some basslines to your songs or what?

If Ekin wants to take the acoustic sound and modify it to an electric version of our songs, then it would be awesome to have someone who could add basslines. I play the bass, but I'm self taught, poorly, and have only actually managed to teach myself one, very easy, song.

Aside from that, I'm not sure if I could write lyrics with just a bassline. My friend wrote a bunch of songs on his bass, but he used distortion and other effects to make it sound more like an industrial guitar than a bass... so I suppose it could be done. If you have anything, I wouldn't mind taking a look.

All that said, cover songs are also kickass. If we ever get to the point of selling shit, any cover songs done under the project won't be sold, but they will be given for free as downloads. This is just to avoid the legal hassle of getting permission from artists and/or copyright holders.

EDIT: Skummy, my singing is not overly good either... but if you're interested at all in contributing with your instruments, that would be pretty cool.

Edited by Gabriel

Oh oh oh-oh, I have never really written or composed any of my own stuff at all. For the most part I have merely stayed to either short strips of songs or a few full songs. I have only been playing the bass for about a year and a half, and I am self-taught for the most part but I think I am doing rather well. But I dont know what you want; should I just try to record myself playing something and somehow send it to you?

What Ekin did was played around with chords, I guess, and just sort of put them together to form a song. That's my understanding of it, anyways. So it doesn't sound like there was any grand composing going on.

If you want to try and do that, that would be cool... just play around until you find something you like, and turn it into a song... or, if you'd prefer, record yourself playing a cover song. If that's the road you want to take, then give me a shout on msn ( everythingburns.whysoserious@hotmail.com ) , minus the spaces and the brackets, and we can talk about it and find something we both like, that you'd like to play, and that I'm not unsure of vocally.

Ekin and I have just been trading files back and forth on MSN or through MegaUpload.