NCAA 09

bstan80

I didn't even know this was releasing tomorrow until a friend told me earlier today. The promotion has been pretty nonexistent. I haven't heard about new features, modes, animations or anything.

Sadly, if I do get it, it'll probably be for the PS2.

Edited by bstan80

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on the fence. There have been many straddling reviews. Some are saying it's one of the best in the series while others are claiming that it's riddled with glitches, bugs, etc. I'm not too fond of shilling $60 bucks if it's going to simply turn out to be a repeat of 2008. Nonetheless, we'll see.

Three words. Online. Dynasty. Leagues.

Play AND recruit against up to eleven other players. That alone has me in line for it. Typical Phenom, HailtotheKing, and myself are discussing starting a PS3 league. Anyone interested, hit me up.

The game as it stands now is garbage.

From a developer (explanations by me bolded):

Just wanted to let you know there definitely are folks looking into the following gameplay issues - we will be able to let you know very soon if they are patch-able (and hopefully when):

Muy Importante [very important]

- DL pass rush (there isn't one)

- CPU QB percentages (Routinely 80% completions, season percentages around 70%, 49TD-1INT seasons extremely common compared to how rare they should be)

- DB "stand straight up" issue (DBs don't crouch, I guess, haven't seen a screenshot of this)

- Kick / Punt Returns are too easy (As usual, setting Punt Block means you get ~20-30 yards free on the return)

- Players in pursuit often turn the wrong way (see LB's on swing passes?)

Will Investigate

- Delay CPU snapping a few seconds (apparently they immediately snap it)

- CPU deep ball (???)

- Rocket catch (You know, super-jump, super-warp-to-ball...)

- More penalties

- Substitution sliders

As for the crashes and stats disappearing and roster editing stuff and the like ... keep in contact with Adam (OMT) on their status.

From non-official sources, as compiled by me:

-Dropping a field goal results in 1st and 10 for the team that kicked it, instead of...whatever it's supposed to be, I'm not 100% on the rule myself. I think it's "dead ball, turnover" like if you block it but it still goes past the line of scrimmage and hits the ground.

-The sliders allegedly do nothing. One guy says he had pass rush on 100, pass blocking on 0 and LSU's front couldn't get pressure on Tulane.

-Blitzes do nothing; apparently the blitzers don't go into the gaps...where they do go is anybody's guess, nobody's been very specific on this one compared to the others.

More hilarious outtakes:

Referencing this thread over a NCAA strategies, there is definitely a freezing issue when editing rosters. It is either related to the number of changes introduced into the roster file (changing equipment after downloading roster files) or player name length (anything over 11 characters).

Symptoms Include:

Freezing

Teams Disappearing (Most notably FIU, FAU, USF)

Team Ratings going to 0

Players disappearing

And last but not least, a youtube video. This is actually a LENIENT representation of the bugs, as it omits the missing South Florida Bulls.

Edited by nuschool

I hear the same complaints, year-in and year-out. But this year, the only complaint I have is with the roster situation... or, that was a complaint. I've found one roster file (search gamertag EAROSTERS COM [no period]) that works like a charm. I've simmed two seasons in dynasty mode with USF and had no problems at all.

It almost seems as if people want the game to play, look, and smell like shit. So, to them, it is shit. Every year. But seriously, of all the NCAA games I've played to-date (dating back to Bill Walsh College Football), this is the most fun I've had playing. I've found a really nice combination of sliders that I feel work like a charm, and the new animations are eye candy, no doubt.

The defense has worked just right, I think, despite hearing all of this about the defense being brainless. And the big hits... wow. The animations thrown in this year, both before and after the play, are just grand. I especially like the option of running around after you score, especially the interactions with the mascots.

All-in-all, I'm glad I didn't do like several have done this year, basically boycotting the game for its on-shelf flaws. I haven't noticed even half of those, and I'm the kind of person that will take the game back if it plays like crap, demanding a refund. I see no reasoning with this. EA will have the editing problem fixed soon, I'm sure. Until then, people will continue to scream You fried my game! and other thought-less comments, without trying it out for themselves.

And no, I'm not an EA game-boy. I've only purchased one Madden game in the last six or seven years, and NCAA is the only game I buy regularly from them. I'm far from being a religious follower of EA... quite the opposite, I believe. So don't give me that. I just am having a lot of fun with this year's game, and am tired of hearing worthless shit said about it, when I've seen quite the opposite.

I'm about to go pick up the game and go to work... anyone want to play for the PS3 later today?

Titans10Texas ... add me.

You need to get in on our dynasty league, then. May be a few days before we get the particulars ironed out, but the offer will stand. Preferably no Top 25 teams, though, so everyone has to build just a bit.

Rented this tonight and I'm loving it.

Started an (offline) dynasty with the Georgia Bulldogs (99, so what :shifty:), two games in so far but 2-0. Just finished a game against Central Michigan, very very close the whole way through, with each team leading by a touchdown at different times but the other tying it up.

Comes down to the 4th quarter and CMU is leading by 1. They keep being assholes and letting time run down as much as they possibly can between plays, but once they pulled the trigger, I stopped them every time. Finally, with like 30 seconds remaining, they get off a passing play and, in the nicest replay ever, one of my guys intercepts it along the sidelines, running it straight down for a gamewinning TD, me not even caring about the field goal afterwards. Such a great feeling shoving it in their face for being cocky with time.

Wooo, just had a play reversed on a TD in my favour, even though I'm smoking South Carolina

EDIT: Bwaahaha, and a TD off a fumble, following the kickoff of what was said above~!

EDIT 2: BULLSHIT! FUCK YOU KARMA! THEY REVERSED IT FOR SOME FUCKED REASON~!

EDIT 3: FUCK KARMA THEY GOT A TD! FUCKING DOUCHEBAGS ONSIDE KICK!

EDIT 4: Fuck me, its like the opposite of my last game. I'm winning by 2 (21-19), 30 seconds left, and they're feverishly trying to get a TD. FUCK ME IF THEY GO FOR A FIELDGOAL

EDIT 5: FUCK ME THEY DID IT

EDIT 6: FUCKING RAPED MY FACE AND MY CHILDREN!

FUCK NORTH CAROLINA

FUCK KARMA

IM GOING TO THE DEATH-POLL THREAD

ODDS ARE UP

Edited by Closed and Moved to Archives

I hear the same complaints, year-in and year-out. But this year, the only complaint I have is with the roster situation... or, that was a complaint. I've found one roster file (search gamertag EAROSTERS COM [no period]) that works like a charm. I've simmed two seasons in dynasty mode with USF and had no problems at all.

It almost seems as if people want the game to play, look, and smell like shit. So, to them, it is shit. Every year. But seriously, of all the NCAA games I've played to-date (dating back to Bill Walsh College Football), this is the most fun I've had playing. I've found a really nice combination of sliders that I feel work like a charm, and the new animations are eye candy, no doubt.

The defense has worked just right, I think, despite hearing all of this about the defense being brainless. And the big hits... wow. The animations thrown in this year, both before and after the play, are just grand. I especially like the option of running around after you score, especially the interactions with the mascots.

All-in-all, I'm glad I didn't do like several have done this year, basically boycotting the game for its on-shelf flaws. I haven't noticed even half of those, and I'm the kind of person that will take the game back if it plays like crap, demanding a refund. I see no reasoning with this. EA will have the editing problem fixed soon, I'm sure. Until then, people will continue to scream You fried my game! and other thought-less comments, without trying it out for themselves.

And no, I'm not an EA game-boy. I've only purchased one Madden game in the last six or seven years, and NCAA is the only game I buy regularly from them. I'm far from being a religious follower of EA... quite the opposite, I believe. So don't give me that. I just am having a lot of fun with this year's game, and am tired of hearing worthless shit said about it, when I've seen quite the opposite.

Oh yeah, remind me to hijack my way to your house one day to play some NCAA 09. :shifty:

Started an (offline) dynasty with the Georgia Bulldogs (99, so what :shifty: ), two games in so far but 2-0. Just finished a game against Central Michigan, very very close the whole way through, with each team leading by a touchdown at different times but the other tying it up.

Comes down to the 4th quarter and CMU is leading by 1. They keep being assholes and letting time run down as much as they possibly can between plays, but once they pulled the trigger, I stopped them every time. Finally, with like 30 seconds remaining, they get off a passing play and, in the nicest replay ever, one of my guys intercepts it along the sidelines, running it straight down for a gamewinning TD, me not even caring about the field goal afterwards. Such a great feeling shoving it in their face for being cocky with time.

You do realize that's the point right?

Started an (offline) dynasty with the Georgia Bulldogs (99, so what :shifty: ), two games in so far but 2-0. Just finished a game against Central Michigan, very very close the whole way through, with each team leading by a touchdown at different times but the other tying it up.

Yep, it's a smart strategy. Doesn't make them any less of assholes for doing it though. :shifty:

Yep, it's a smart strategy. Doesn't make them any less of assholes for doing it though. :shifty:

I'm curious as to how much you must suck to have the highest rated team in the game and still be going neck and neck with Central Michigan all game. Ya' shouldn't have been all that shocked by losing to South Carolina. I say another SEC loss may be in your future if you struggled with the CMU Chippewas.

I'm curious as to how much you must suck to have the highest rated team in the game and still be going neck and neck with Central Michigan all game. Ya' shouldn't have been all that shocked by losing to South Carolina. I say another SEC loss may be in your future if you struggled with the CMU Chippewas.

While curiosity killed the cat, I'm hoping it kills douchebags like yourself aswell.

It is call Sliders and difficulty level... I mean some people like a challenge and don't just play the game on Varsity.