The Great Console History Discussion Thread

Guest SimplyStiltskin
The N64 peaked WAY too early. StarFox, Super Mario 64, GoldenEye - and it was pretty much downhill from there. Sure, there were great games here and there, but the best games came out real early and the overall quality dropped off the longer it stuck around for, whilst the Playstation just got progressively better until the PS2 was released.

The SNES brought us Super Mario Bros 3 , Final Fantasy 4 through 6...it's already putting up quite a fight just off the back of that.

>_<

Wrong.

Indeed, Super Mario Bros 3 was on the NES, but SNES had that one game Mario All Stars or something where all the NES Mario games were loaded into that one game, plus the real sequel to the original Mario Bros only released in Japan.

Mario All-Stars kicked ass for sure. Super Mario 3 was so weird when it first came out.

It was kind of different, but then again it came from Japan, one of the weirdest places on Earth. I just want to think they are smoking a load of weed, but something tells me they aren't

I just bought

World Cup Striker

Harvest Moon

Equinox

of an e-bay seller. I remember hating Harvest Moon but whatever. As for the other two games i figured if no one is bidding and they are from the same seller you might aswell get them for 1€ each.

Oh joy.

I've always wondered what EWB's general opinion on Super Mario Bros 2 was, considering how it was made to replace the Lost Levels from Japan, which was the original SMB2.

Honestly I enjoyed the game. It was different, it was challenging, and the designs for the characters were actually very entertaining. The only problem was as far as I remember you couldn't really save I don't believe, and if you could I didn't know this as a kid, because I remember trying time and time again to play through the whole game in one sitting, which just isn't going to happen... for its time, that was one hell of a long game.

Pfft, you know I meant the version on Super Mario All-Stars. As if anything else counts >_>

Even so, the SNES had a better good-to-bad ratio than the N64 ever did. The Mega Drive had some of the most face-meltingly awesome games ever, but also had some utter shite. But for Streets Of Rage 2, we forgive it.

Edited by Skummy

I've always wondered what EWB's general opinion on Super Mario Bros 2 was, considering how it was made to replace the Lost Levels from Japan, which was the original SMB2.

Honestly I enjoyed the game. It was different, it was challenging, and the designs for the characters were actually very entertaining. The only problem was as far as I remember you couldn't really save I don't believe, and if you could I didn't know this as a kid, because I remember trying time and time again to play through the whole game in one sitting, which just isn't going to happen... for its time, that was one hell of a long game.

You couldn't save on the NES one; you could on All-Stars.

SMB2 was unique, but it was a definite pain in the ass. I liked how there were differences between the characters, and I remember how giddy me and a friend of mine were when we found a warp zone to World 5.

The ending sucked though. You beat Wart and that's the end of it, you get to see Mario asleep. The whole thing was a dream. The 80's must've had a trend for doing that; St. Elsewhere, Mario 2....

It also goes to show just how badass Bowser real is. Obviously, if Toad and Peach can pick shit up and throw it with enough force to knock someone/thing out, then why does Bowser always evade Toad and get Peach?

Even so, the SNES had a better good-to-bad ratio than the N64 ever did.

I'll agree. One of my biggest disapointments with the N64 was Waverace 64. A friend of mine told me it was "Like Jet Motto". Okay, so it should be pretty kick ass. No.

There were also games that I wanted to see on the N64 that just didn't materialize. I remember in an issue of Nintendo Power reading about a new Metal Gear game for the N64, "Hybrid Heaven". This was before MGS. I was stoked. Then I never saw it.

And out of curiosity, I pulled it up on Wikipedia to see what happened to it...

Here.

Looks like it did come out, but I never played it. I guess it COULD have been a Metal Gear game at one point, it just didn't materialize.

To me, the N64 only has 5 TIMELESS classics; Goldeneye and the THQ/AKI wrestling games. I was a GOD on those 5 games; my brother still quits in frustration when we play Goldeneye, and I just destroy all on the other games.

Earlier this year, I was hanging out at a friends house and he broke out No Mercy. I picked Benoit (my regular wrestler of choice if I didn't have CAWs free) and I just destroyed him. All he could say was "....Yeah Mick, you just HAD to pick the murderer, didn't you?". Shrugging it off, I took Kane and won via submission, getting MORE flack about how it wasn't a "WWF Ending", meaning it should end like you see on TV. Distraught, I took Kane AGAIN, and bet him AGAIN, hitting about seven chokeslams. He didn't challenge me again. I felt proud; I went undefeated that night against quote "TRUE MASTERS OF THE GAME".

Also, if you liked those, I highly reccomend Virtual Pro Wrestling 2. The ways of getting it might be questionable in a legal sense :shifty: , but it reeks of awesomeness. Think WM2K's CAW mode, with moves from No Mercy thrown in, as well as a few more CAW options. MASKS. CREATE YOUR OWN MASK! On top of that, just going off my head, you had wrestlers from New Japan, All Japan, Michinoku Pro, FCW, PANCRASE, and some other MMA wrestlers, as well as a good selection of "Legends", including Andre. And this Andre was awesome, not like that POS Andre you get in No Mercy (Although I do love how he's introduced in the No Mercy Storymode...Vince brings him out.)

Moving on, I wish that I had played more Megadrive/Genesis; I played only four games on it; Mutant League Football (Turbo Techies FTW), Shining Force, Sonic 2, and Pirates! Gold (Underrated. HIGHLY Underrated).

Pirates! Gold...hmmm.

I SMELL A DIARY!

I definitely like the traditional Mario games a lot more than SMB 2. Admittedly, I played SMB 2 a lot later (even after World) and I just don't like the whole pick up turnip throw turnip idea, and testing a lot of different potion spots for warp zones and potions. Don't get me wrong, it's not terrible, or even a bad game. I just do not feel it holds up against Super Mario Brothers, SMB 3, World, or even 6 Golden Coins for GB.

And Peach seemed to be the best character to use by far. I mean that's fine, and I do like that Nintendo connected that into Smash Brothers, but it would be cool to actually need to use other characters at some points. You could even call it the original Super Princess Peach.

How do todays classic downloads hold up against buying old games? Is the stuff gone if your consoles harddrive dies or could you redownload? Or is it still better to buy cardriges for you old systems wich seem indistrucabell to me (aside from save games being lost, but you can have batteries replaced)

Well, downloads are certainly more convinient. Plus if it's a rarer game then it's likely only to be availible in its original format at an extortinate rate. Like, for example, I purchased Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on XBLA and at the time the PSX version was up for something like £80 on the UK Amazon trade section.

Pirates! is a brilliant game. Last year I played it to death on the PSP. I loved the way you could do and be so many different things - try to rescue your family or not bother, marry lots of women or ignore them, trade or pirate, attack the Spaniards or defend different combinations of the four countries against pirates...And you could choose the era you start in....Very very good.

Another one of my SNES games stoped saving today. I found out that Nintendo still is suporting these games, it´s 6euro per new batterie so i defenetly think it can be don cheaper - but you can have it fixed by the officials if you want to. :-)