Official Premiership 2008/09 thread

Lineker

Well we've still got extra money floating around so sure why not. Our target for the season has changed and therefore our play must change. Upson is a fighter so will strengthen our defence when played alongside Hutton and Woodgate who are our other stronger defensive players.

We also need a tough no-nonsense relegation-fight midfielder, a bit like Savage or someone (though please not Savage ugh). Then we need an ugly-play striker who will score headers, tap-ins and fight for the ball in the box.

What's the use of the ugly-play striker? Ramos won't play him.

How would you know? Damien Comolli hasn't given him one to use. Fire Comolli, let Ramos choose the players he needs and maybe we can finally address some positions of real need such as left midfield and striker. And some depth in defense, you know maybe go after a player who won't have to be rested four games for every 45 minutes he plays.

Arshavin screams Modric to me, he's a good player who with a couple of years of Premier League football under his belt could be a force, however Spurs don't have the time for that now. Like I argued with signing Modric and Dos Santos in a previous post - they are great players but will take time to come 100% good in the Premier League. Spurs now don't have that time when looking at future signings. They do need some battlers - and more importantly a proven goalscorer at this level who can play off Bent, or at least create more chances for him. As for the defence, well it's been Tottenham's achilies heel for quite a while now, while last season in particular you could get goals - you knew how to conceed them as well. Gomes is a step up from Robinson, but you do require someone like a Ledley King (if he can stay fit) who can lead the backline. You have on paper quality players like Corluka back there, but a strong and more of a leadership presence is needed.

Arshavin screams Modric to me, he's a good player who with a couple of years of Premier League football under his belt could be a force, however Spurs don't have the time for that now. Like I argued with signing Modric and Dos Santos in a previous post - they are great players but will take time to come 100% good in the Premier League. Spurs now don't have that time when looking at future signings. They do need some battlers - and more importantly a proven goalscorer at this level who can play off Bent, or at least create more chances for him. As for the defence, well it's been Tottenham's achilies heel for quite a while now, while last season in particular you could get goals - you knew how to conceed them as well. Gomes is a step up from Robinson, but you do require someone like a Ledley King (if he can stay fit) who can lead the backline. You have on paper quality players like Corluka back there, but a strong and more of a leadership presence is needed.

Modric is just being played horribly wrong. Arshavin is coming from the Russian league, which is pretty similar in style so he should be able to fit in quicker than say Crespo or Shevchenko

What Tottenham really need is either Heskey or Owen... or both, they're both running down their current contracts to sign for bigger clubs and could be got for next to nothing. Although I don't see either of them joining if they're still in the relegation zone come this January transfer window.

What Tottenham really need is either Heskey or Owen... or both, they're both running down their current contracts to sign for bigger clubs and could be got for next to nothing. Although I don't see either of them joining if they're still in the relegation zone come this January transfer window.

Heskey would be fucking awesome for Spurs... They wouldn't get him though.

Tottenham need to just get on with it. Ignore all the millions of news stories flying around (if possible) and just work as a group, in a similar way to Chelsea under Mourinho. Weaknesses in the team are things they can worry about in January, there's no point talking about it while the windows shut for over 2 months.

Without meaning to sound like a prick, just look at Hull. Geovanni is really the only one with technique to rival the Spurs players yet it's impossible not to know about the differences in league position. The big differences are that we're working together and playing with confidence. Which is why Ramos needs to do his best to keep the team away from the negative press and together as a team.

I think the next week is massive for them. The UEFA Cup should suit some of their players a bit more and could possibly get them a confidence boosting result. Then if they can keep a core team together hopefully translate that to the Premier League.

Fraizer Campbell needs more game time too. <_<

Micheal Turner sucks balls... and i'm not just saying that because i'm a bitter West Ham fan >.>

Did someone earlier compare the Russian league to the Premiership? Surely there is a difference in player ability? I mean CSKA & Zenith have done pretty well in Europe past few years or so, but to say a player who can play well in that league would fit straight into the Premiership... well its just a tad idiotic. Most players need time to adjust to any league they play in. I don't get the comparison between Bent & Palyuchenko, surely they play alike because of the tactic Ramos has them in, both are usually played on their own so its not surprising they have difficulties gelling well as a strike partnership. They defended awful against Stoke in the second half on Sunday, but looked pretty decent going forward, its obvious where they need to strengthen. Need to play more Huddlestone, Zokora & O'Hara in midfield.

Hopefully West Ham won't sell Upson & Parker, i think they both play well enough and well West Ham need to bring a few players in (not that it will happen with all the money problems) not sell any.

Becaues an ugly-play striker doesn't fit into a 4-5-1.

You really don't think Ramos would change the formation if he had a decent striker to play alongside Bent or Pavlyuchenko? He's not that retarded, surely.

Probably wouldn't get him now that Liverpool are doing what they did to get Robbie Keane, but Spurs were apparently in negotiations with Wigan for him at the end of August.

Micheal Turner sucks balls... and i'm not just saying that because i'm a bitter West Ham fan >.>

Did someone earlier compare the Russian league to the Premiership? Surely there is a difference in player ability? I mean CSKA & Zenith have done pretty well in Europe past few years or so, but to say a player who can play well in that league would fit straight into the Premiership... well its just a tad idiotic. Most players need time to adjust to any league they play in. I don't get the comparison between Bent & Palyuchenko, surely they play alike because of the tactic Ramos has them in, both are usually played on their own so its not surprising they have difficulties gelling well as a strike partnership. They defended awful against Stoke in the second half on Sunday, but looked pretty decent going forward, its obvious where they need to strengthen. Need to play more Huddlestone, Zokora & O'Hara in midfield.

Hopefully West Ham won't sell Upson & Parker, i think they both play well enough and well West Ham need to bring a few players in (not that it will happen with all the money problems) not sell any.

I said they were similar leagues, which they are. Obviously the Premiership is a higher quality, but Arshavin's an international star, so he shouldn't struggle in that respect. He will take some time to bed in, but not a couple of years, as was suggested. O'Hara and Zokora are probably 2 of the most overrated players in the premiership, Huddlestone is decent enough but he, Hutton and Woodgate can't be expected to keep clean sheets on their own.

Probably wouldn't get him now that Liverpool are doing what they did to get Robbie Keane,

You mean offering him a chance to play at the top level rather than spending your last years at the top floating around mid-table?

I said they were similar leagues, which they are. Obviously the Premiership is a higher quality, but Arshavin's an international star, so he shouldn't struggle in that respect. He will take some time to bed in, but not a couple of years, as was suggested. O'Hara and Zokora are probably 2 of the most overrated players in the premiership, Huddlestone is decent enough but he, Hutton and Woodgate can't be expected to keep clean sheets on their own.

You've got to be kidding me. O'Hara is overrated? If anything he's underrated. We've been playing much better when he's in the team this season. And I don't think Zokora's overrated either. He's a solid utility player and gives the midfield a nice balance on the rare occasion he gets to play in his natural position. As for Huddlestone, I'm not sure whether you think he's a defender? Ramos certainly doesn't play him as much as he should. He's like Zokora in that holding role but better.

You mean offering him a chance to play at the top level rather than spending your last years at the top floating around mid-table?

Are you sure you don't mean a chance to sit on the bench at the never-quite-top-but-near-enough level?

Edited by AD

Are you sure you don't mean a chance to sit on the bench at the never-quite-top-but-near-enough level?

Quite sure, thanks.

Although keep telling yourself that he's actually regretting leaving a club that is managing to make Newcastle look like it's run by a competent group.

Quite sure, thanks.

Although keep telling yourself that he's actually regretting leaving a club that is managing to make Newcastle look like it's run by a competent group.

I was actually talking about Heskey, not Keane. I never said Keane regretted leaving Spurs, anyway :/