Ricky Williams retires

sahyder1

This is great news. That's one less weapon the Patriots have to worry about when they play the Fish. This is really priceless. The guy quit football because he liked smoking weed more. What a loser.

I'm not going to get into that, because I already argued with Maxx about it, but if you think thats the sole reason he retired, then you don't know shit about Ricky Williams.

Can't say I blame him.

I mean, he was going to be the workhorse of that offense (I somehow don't see AJ Feeley being the next Marino) and why end up broken-down, battered, worn out and probably arrested for drugs when you can just quit with the tons of money you already have?

On a side note, I wonder how Mike Ditka feels about this...

He, just like Robert Smith, had no passion for the game and didn't want to do it for a living.

There are hundreds of college kids striving to even get drafted, let alone start. And those that are drafted, there's plenty yearning for a starting spot in any NFL rosters. These guys get it easily, have everything handed to them, then decide, meh I don't really want to do this, oh well I'm retiring.

Its bullshit and its disrespectful and they never should have gotten into the game.

And anyone who thinks Ricky will be back, think again. His comments about drug use, and the drug masking will keep him out of the leauge even if he does want to come back.

This news came as a shocker to me, especially when you consider how young Williams is. I can sympathize with Miami fans, as I have also gone through this sort of thing (Barry Sanders anybody?). However, I think that Travis Minor is going to step into the starting spot and surprise alot of people. Minor has done very well for himself in the brief time he has played. I'll go on record right now and say that Minor will have a very good season, he will be effective.

Guest Takayamanofear

fell bad for dolphins fans, I think Ricky did what he wanted and I am never against that. He said he was happier poor and that he only used football to get though college. He didn’t want to be known has a football guy. Its not about smoking weed that is just one of the many things. He wanted to not be known has a football player he probably didn’t want to have to worry about keeping in good shape. Being able relax not having the press ever where he goes. Ricky is the type of person that is happy not being known and living life for other things. He did like football but he never wanted football to become his life. It did and he has not been happy since. I think the timing he did it was really bad though he could have done it with February and there would not be so many pissed off fans.

He, just like Robert Smith, had no passion for the game and didn't want to do it for a living.

There are hundreds of college kids striving to even get drafted, let alone start.  And those that are drafted, there's plenty yearning for a starting spot in any NFL rosters.  These guys get it easily, have everything handed to them, then decide, meh I don't really want to do this, oh well I'm retiring.

Its bullshit and its disrespectful and they never should have gotten into the game.

And anyone who thinks Ricky will be back, think again.  His comments about drug use, and the drug masking will keep him out of the leauge even if he does want to come back.

I still don't see how its bullshit or disrespectful. He didn't want to be a pro football player, and in fact, has said that he NEVER wanted to be a pro football player. He wanted to be a college football player, but, to please other people, he went pro.

You're the one being disrespectful. He gave 5 years of his life to entertain you, doing something he didn't want to do, and now you're going to tell him that he's wrong? You're wrong. Its his life, not yours. Who cares about the 100s of kids WHO COULDN'T CUT IT. Not his fault. If they had the skill and talent, they'd have gotten the spot.

Hell, you never even fucking played the game, you're the last person who should talk.

He never wanted to be a professional football player and always hated the attention. Remember when he'd give interviews while wearing his helmet with darkened visor? If I remember, he suffered from anxiety disorder as well?

I figured he'd retire young, but not this soon and not a week before camp opened. He was a great athlete, both football and baseball, but if this is what makes him happy, then good for him.

And those playing ESPN football, releasing him from the Dolphins isn't "retiring". What you do is drop all his stats to 0, then release him. Nobody else will sign him and he'll retire after year 1 because of ability.

Guest kijlhumt

There are hundreds of college kids striving to even get drafted, let alone start.  And those that are drafted, there's plenty yearning for a starting spot in any NFL rosters.  These guys get it easily, have everything handed to them, then decide, meh I don't really want to do this, oh well I'm retiring.

And anyone who thinks Ricky will be back, think again.  His comments about drug use, and the drug masking will keep him out of the leauge even if he does want to come back.

My problems with this post of yours are twofold.

-1- Those kids in college who "never get a shot"? It's not Williams' fault. He was blessed with ability, and was pushed into playing professional football by others. One of his quotes reads "I wasn't strong enough to NOT play football" meaning that he wasn't strong enough to stand up to the assholes who were pushing him to the NFL for the money that they'd get as being his entourage.

-2- The only problem I have with Williams retiring is how he fucked over the team by doing it a week before camp opened. It's not "bullshit and[...]disrespectful" because it's a decision that he made himself. It's HIS decision, and he'll live with the consequences. Whether you deem his reasoning justified or not does not matter. Fans do not dictate the life of professional players, and they have no right to. Whether he retired so he can do drugs or walk around in Asia is his decision. He never wanted to play in the NFL, but he did. And now he doesn't feel that he would do his team well by playing anymore, which is his call and I respect him for bowing out. I would have liked him to do it earlier, but hey, nobody's perfect.

He never wanted to be a professional football player and always hated the attention.  Remember when he'd give interviews while wearing his helmet with darkened visor?  If I remember, he suffered from anxiety disorder as well?

I figured he'd retire young, but not this soon and not a week before camp opened.  He was a great athlete, both football and baseball, but if this is what makes him happy, then good for him. 

And those playing ESPN football, releasing him from the Dolphins isn't "retiring".  What you do is drop all his stats to 0, then release him.  Nobody else will sign him and he'll retire after year 1 because of ability.

I can do the same in Madden right?