Ricky Williams retires

sahyder1

It's on the breaking news column on the front page of espn.com

thanks.

NFL Shocker: Williams To Retire?

Is he another Robert Smith? Is he bothered by persistent drug rumors? Whatever the reason, Dolphins star running back Ricky Williams, 27, has told the team he is retiring after just five NFL seasons, ESPN's Dan Le Batard reports.

Wow... what the hell is he thinking? This is the worst possible time for him to do this...

Apparently he didn't want to play just to appease his teammates and coaches. The risk of injury was too high. I can't say I blame him, though he probably should have retired while there were still replacements available on the market. Maybe the Giants can saddle them with . . . err trade them Ron Dayne, who is similarly built and was a great collegiate back as well <_<

Guest seattlebandfan9

Yeah...I just read this on NFL.com...

Williams was a great back, not one of my favorites, but a great back none the less.

I agree, take the money and just go with it.

He was in for another hellish year anyway, being probably the biggest work horses in the league at tailback.

Best not to risk the injury.

Ricky was a different kind of cat, much like Robert Smith. If he wants to retire, good luck to him. I'll miss his running style, since I liked him since he played at Texas, even got to see my two all time favorite college backs go up against each other in Skip Hicks and Ricky at a UCLA game at the Rose Bowl, that UCLA won.

Its gotta be hard to turn down the money, but everything I've seen and heard about Ricky is that he wasn't about the money. Just a different kind of guy.

Too bad for the Fins though, but they didn't really have a team that could compete, at least offensively, even with him, and their D wasn't great enough to carry them.

He's now admitted to taking a drug masking agent to pass drug tests. He's also stated how happy people in Jamaica are and how people aren't meant to be controlled in their lives.

In other words...

I'm going to Jamaica so I can smoke pot uninterrupted.

Well, Ricky Williams was indeed a good back for the Saints and an even better back when he was used in Miami (well, partly because the Fins actually gave him the ball). Anyways, he has his reasons for retiring and if fear of injury is the case, then that's just fine with me. Oh yeah, btw, the Dolphins are screwed this season.

Guest bruins72

This is great news. That's one less weapon the Patriots have to worry about when they play the Fish. This is really priceless. The guy quit football because he liked smoking weed more. What a loser.