NCAA Footbal 09 Season Thread

HailtotheYo

Sinistarr, you live in Gainesville?

And yes, the Gators have been great since the Ole Miss loss (Tim Tebow, God bless). Provided that Tech wins out they'll be in. Hopefully OU doesn't make it in. Also read somewhere that USC would make more money by going to the Rose Bowl than another BCS bowl, considering the traveling expenses/budget.

Muschamp to take over as coach at Texas when Brown retires

AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas defensive coordinator Will Muschamp has been designated head coach-in-waiting by the university, expected to take over the Longhorns when coach Mack Brown retires.

Muschamp is in his first year with the Longhorns, but athletic director DeLoss Dodds said Tuesday he and Brown know they want to keep him at Texas. To do that, they will more than double his salary from $425,000 to $900,000 in January. He will remain defensive coordinator.

Dodds said he wants the 57-year-old Brown to coach for a long time but said he wanted to line up Muschamp now to avoid the "trauma" of a coaching search when the day comes that Brown steps down.

The No. 3 Longhorns (10-1) are preparing for their Thanksgiving night game against rival Texas A&M.

ESPN.com

That is fucking awesome. I am so pumped and happy that he'll be at Texas for a looooooooooong time.

See, a HCIW arrangement makes sense for a guy like Bobby Bowden, who's likely to have to be dragged off the field a cold, dead corpse (and may not be that far away from it, anyway), but Mack Brown's only 57. Is Muschamp prepared to sit there for 10-15 years, waiting for Brown to get worn out?

This could very easily turn into a take the money and run sort of arrangement if Muschamp gets covert calls from some unscrupulous AD's/university presidents.

As a fan of Texas, I am not in favor of this move if the intentions are as what is being reported. Muschamp may turn out to be a fine coach someday, but his first job SHOULD NOT be at Texas. Taking a job like Texas... 'Bama-Notre Dame-ect, where their is built in pressure to win RIGHT NOW, and win BIG is difficult enough for any coach. Asking someone who has never been a head coach before in their life, to do this is putting your program in a bad situation.

With that said, I hope this move is nothing more then a PR move, and done strictly to keep Muschamp as their defensive cordinator for the time being. If that is the case, then I like the move. However I have my reservations since Mack Brown has made it clear that he doesn't intend to coach forever, and with already a National Title in the trophey case... the day he retires may be sooner rather then later.

I like Mack Brown, so I hope he stays the coach for a long time (or until he loses to OU again) but if he moves on, Texas should go after an established coach. Seriously if Clemson can get Lane Kiffin, Notre Dame get Charlie Weis, and Arkansas get Bobby P, surely Texas can attract someone with a better resume then Will Muschamp.

I disagree with that. Muschamp would be fine to take over at Texas in "x" number of years, especially with the endorsement coming from Brown. In fact, it was at Brown's behest that the University did it. Muschamp is an amazing coach. It isn't like this is going to happen next year, or in two years (unless Brown up and quits at the height of his career). I doubt it's just PR considering they're going to DOUBLE his salary to 900K$. They are committed to him.

And while Brown had been a head coach before, he hadn't won anything. He made a respectable team out of NC but didn't really do anything with them. When he was hired, Brown wasn't exactly the coach you're talking about that they should hire after him. I mean, what exactly does a "name" do anyway ? How do Syracuse and Pitt feel about their name coaches ? Oh wait, one of 'em blew ass and got fired, and the other isn't exactly setting the world on fire. How's Bobby doing up in Arkansas anyway ? So yeah, the resume and name are just as hit and miss as a guy like Muschamp. Besides, where exactly do you think these guys were before they were HC's ? On the sidelines as DC's/OC's. I mean, A&M was just fine when Slocum took over for Sherrill, and in fact they were better.

If the University and HC that is before him are set on grooming him and preparing him I have no problem with it.

You have to wonder how the rest of the coaching staff has to feel about it, though. I know if I was a coach or assistant on a team and had been there awhile and they not only announce a newcomer as the next head coach, meaning I don't even get a chance to interview for the job once the current coach retires, but give him a big raise, I'd be downright insulted if not pissed off. And I'd probably start seeing if any other decent schools need someone at my position or are willing to interview me about the head coaching job after the season and start preparing my resume.

It'll be interesting to see if Texas has any changes in its coaching staff after the season is over.

In reality, the only person that could even have those feelings is the OC. Seriously, the other assistants have to work up to the OC/DC positions before they can actually hope to have a shot at a major HC position, let alone at Texas. I'm not saying it's the "right" thing to do but I don't really see THAT big of an issue with it. Outside of OC/DC, the other coaches are shuffled around pretty regularly and often have grad asst. positions attatched to them.

In this case though, it is OBVIOUS that Muschamp is actually LEADING this team. He's the one on the sideline that's being vocal/emotional/involved with what's going on. Hell, he went and fired up the offense in the Tech game right before they started running back into the game.

The real issue with Tech doing it, is that Brown is relatively young right now. That's my concern. I do feel though that Muschamp is the exact kind of person to have take over going by his talent/demeanor.

Mack Brown has 8 years left on his contract, so that should be a timetable for the time he has left as coach. He has said he doesn't want to be a coach forever, but one would assume he'd honor his contract. An 8-year succession plan is pretty long, but at the same time, if Brown wins another championship we could see him retire sooner.

You have to wonder how the rest of the coaching staff has to feel about it, though. I know if I was a coach or assistant on a team and had been there awhile and they not only announce a newcomer as the next head coach, meaning I don't even get a chance to interview for the job once the current coach retires, but give him a big raise, I'd be downright insulted if not pissed off. And I'd probably start seeing if any other decent schools need someone at my position or are willing to interview me about the head coaching job after the season and start preparing my resume.

It'll be interesting to see if Texas has any changes in its coaching staff after the season is over.

Greg Davis is their offensive cord, and he is Mack Brown's best friend. So I wouldn't worry about him leaving. Also he is isn't a logical successor canidate since he is about three days away from being as old as my dead grandpa.... :lmao:

I still stand by what I said however. Texas is one of the most demanding jobs in college football, and with the current state of the program being what it is, I believe they could get someone MUCH better who has proven he can be a winner. If Texas were say...in the situation of Notre Dame, or even on the level of Texas AM, I would feel differently. However when you are one of the top 5 programs at the moment, I personally feel as though you can do much better then someone who'se only head coaching experience consist of when he played Super Techo Bowl, and College Football Fun Times in college.

The only issue I have with that though I shall present in two points.

A)- Ty Willingham

B)- Charlie Weis

How are those names working out ? Name value alone isn't much.

I'll even go further in a recent "name" hire who had proven he could not only coach, but build/turn a team around.

C)- Dennis Franchione.

A&M would disagree with your thinking as well.

The point being, that while you would figure that a top shelf program would go after a "top shelf name" it isn't always the best route nor is it a guaranteed thing.

Um, LSU sucks <_< ... LOL Michigan ... Wazzu is the worst FBS team EVER ... MichSt is the biggest fluke ... way to show up at the end of the year Purdue ...

Florida should be penalized a billion BCS points for playing THE FUCKING CITADEL in late November ... that's pathetic. Fucking pathetic.

wow, ND is the perfect example as to why the whole 6 game bowl eligible thing should be shitcanned immediately.

Florida should be penalized a billion BCS points for playing THE FUCKING CITADEL in late November ... that's pathetic. Fucking pathetic.

Two to one odds that game costs them a trip to the title game, even though they throttled the shit out of the Citadel...as well they should have. Just the fact that everyone else in contention will be racking up wins that, yannow, kinda mean something? This worthless cupcake shit really should stop after, say, Labor Day.

And yes, Purdue did a fine job of bolting the barn door...after the rest of the fucking barn had burnt down. Best of luck to Danny Hope in recruiting, he might need it.

Unfortunately no. If they beat FSU and then 'Bama in the SEC Title game, they'll get in.

Absolute horseshit. Why is it that a one loss Florida is right smack in the middle of the BCS Title hunt, but a one loss Penn St team is "relegated to the Rose Bowl" ? Oh yeah, the BCS is absolute shit that's why.

A few weeks ago Tech proved they were for real against the Longhorns. Tonight, we find out if they are championship material. There is a lot of difference between beating a team at the ass end of a back-to-back-to-back top ten team gauntlet that Texas was forced to endure, and defeating OU at their house.

My pick, 44-27 Sooners

Well, I am glad that Syracuse is finally getting some recognition, with it coming from their win against Notre Dame. It's been a hard couple of years as a Syracuse fan, and I still vaguely remember the Donovan McNabb days here at 'Cuse which were big. It's sad what we have turned into, but our running back Antwon Bailey really showed me something late in the game there. He was just running at will against the Irish's defense. He had more rushes and yards today than he did in all the games combined this year as he ran 16 times for 126 yards and a touchdown. He is going to be something special.

And it would be nice if Texas Tech decided to show up sometime tonight.

Oregon St. better not play like that next week vs. Oregon

Hopefully Quizz's shoulder will be ok so they will be full strength because it is either they win and I don't have to watch USC on New Year's Day, or they lose and I refuse to watch the Rose Bowl unless Penn St goes up big early