NCAA Footbal 09 Season Thread

HailtotheYo

Yeah, just under two weeks away.

So, let the fun begin. I shall start by putting my neck out on the line like I do every year. I'll rundown the conferences and do all that later, but I'll start the discussion with this.

EAST CAROLINA will win Conference USA -> and they will beat either Virginia Tech and/or West Virginia in the first two weeks of the season. That's right, the Irate PI-Rates will be at least 1-1 after the first two weeks and beat a top 25 (maybe top 10) team.

Discuss ....

Miami knocks off UF at home second game of the season. Miami's offense is questionable but the defense looks like its back to its old form this year. I also think Hawaii will give the Gators a scare.

Lets not also forget that LSU goes up against App State and we could see a huge upset there.

Pitt will win the Big East.

HAHA.....Leshawn McCoy is a great player but I can't see nobody other than West Virgina challenging Cinncy for the Big East crown

That's because you clearly only know of LeSean McCoy. Pitt's defense is excellent. They had the leading tackler in the nation last year, and they're a team who very rarely misses tackles.

Pitt's only problem last year was staying healthy. They lost their starting QB, their #1 WR, and 2 of their best DLinemen at the start of the season. They had to play with a freshman QB who had no business being out there for the first 3-4 weeks of the season and still had plenty of opportunities to win games.

Maybe I'm going out on a big limb by predicting a better season than the Hoopleheads, but if Pitt can stay healthy they have the talent to do it.

Plus their win over the Mountainqueers last year was a thing of beauty and I have no doubts it was the "signature win" that teams need to get over the hump and start playing consistent winning football. It was a confidence builder no doubt, and I might be wrong, but I won't be shocked if it happens.

Pitt does have a great team, but like you say if they stay healty. I think they could give a run to Cinncy and of course West Virgina but injuries happen and if the same thing happens to Pitt that happened last year then it wont be pretty

Honestly, Cincy isn't going to be as good as people think. Mauk made them better than they really were, and he's gone. Pitt is on the rise quickly but I still think they're a year away from contending for the title. The Big East SHOULD be down to WV and USF. The Bulls have EVERYONE back. Their D will be good (they've held WV in check two years running) and the offense will only be better with Grothe and BOTH tailbacks coming back.

WV is the darling but I think the USF BULLS will win the Big East with a dogfight between Pitt/Cincy/WV for second .... don't sleep on UCONN though ... again, a team with everything and the kitchen sink coming back. This league has the least seperation from top to bottom which will make it fun to watch. Any one of four teams could win it, but I really think USF gets it done.

FRESNO ST will be your WAC champion and possibly repeate the BCS magic of Boise and Hawaii.

The Bulldogs get to play Rutgers/Wisconsin/UCLA .... I see them winning TWO of those games. That's right, two of them. It isn't out of the realm that they could win all three. That's pushing it though. I see anywhere from 9-3 to 11-1 for these guys.

VERY dangerous team and should carry the torch of the 'little guys' in the BCS bullshit.

FRESNO ST will be your WAC champion and possibly repeate the BCS magic of Boise and Hawaii.

The Bulldogs get to play Rutgers/Wisconsin/UCLA .... I see them winning TWO of those games. That's right, two of them. It isn't out of the realm that they could win all three. That's pushing it though. I see anywhere from 9-3 to 11-1 for these guys.

VERY dangerous team and should carry the torch of the 'little guys' in the BCS bullshit.

I see the definatly winning the Rutgers and the UCLA games but if they beat Wisconsin then that would put the icing on the cake

OK, week 1 ... the schedule has an entire slew of upset alerts and wonderful match ups ... here we go

Vanderbilt @ Miami (OH) - many of you think wtf ? But for Miami it's big. Vandy or not, it's a BCS team ... and Vandy hasn't exactly been shit the last few years. Miami is picked my quite a few people to take back the MAC. This can be an early statement. Vandy needs it to help continue their upward climb. It means quite a bit for both teams. I like Miami though.

Wake Forest @ Baylor - do I think it will go down ? not really. will I be surprised if it does ? not really. Wake is a very good fundamental team. They don't however, have the gamebreakers or overall skill that their ACC brethren have. Waco has been an ambush spot for years (ask UT and A&M). A slow, drudging game could keep Baylor alive and with a shot to win it. Wake needs to put the hammer down early. for the record, I like Wake, but don't see this as impossible for Baylor.

Orgy St @ Stanford - wow, this could be really fun. Conference opener in week 1. Implications all over the place. Harbaugh has already turned the team around and they've got confidance. Orgy St is close to falling off of their 9 wins every year darling pedistal. I like Stanford to show that things really are on the up.

SMU @ Rice - we could see 1000 pts and 10K yards. OR, the Stangs may not have the June Jones offense down and get blown out. Rice SHOULD be to much offensively for them. I like Rice but think this could be the first college arena football game.

ECU vs Virginia Tech - It wasn't very long ago at all that ECU damn near beat the Hokies. That VT team was MUCH better than the one this year. This ECU team is MUCH better than the one that almost pulled the upset. I like ECU to show why Skip Holtz is an amazing coach, and that VT is in serious trouble of falling off the table.

Utah @ Michigan - yes, coach Rod will have them ready. Yes, things will be all sparkly and new. Yes, Utah is a damn good team and has been for several years. This isn't Appy St ... this is a "real" team coming to Ann Arbor. This time around the Wolverines don't have the firepower they had in Hart/Henne/Manningham. Ouch. Even with all the hoopla and the hope, Utah is the better team. I like Utah to beat the Maize and Blue ... and start the rich rod hanging talks.

Northern Iowa @ BYU - NI is always in the national semi-finals in 1-AA. BYU is very good, but not a "top" echelon team. This has the makings if NI can keep from getting down early.

FAU @ Texas - all the experts say that we're forgetting about Texas. There's a reason for that. Sure, they're going to be good ... they always are. They aren't great though. It's possible they could lose 5 games this year. FAU is VERY GOOD. The Owls have every reason to think they can win, and every reason to do so. They're good enough and Texas is lacking enough for it to happen. FAU covers the spread at the least but are capable of the outright win.

ULM @ Auburn - You laugh, but uh ..... they beat 'Bama last year. THAT is why Auburn should be ready. Still, it's game one for a VERY GREEN offense and their brand new coordinator. Dangerous yes, but Auburn should make a statement directly to 'Bama in this one. Auburn takes care of it, but the eyebrows are up to start the game.

West Mich @ Nebraska - Is Nebraska really on the way back ? Is West Mich really on the verge of breaking out ? Two questions answered very easily on day one. Who shows up ? Nebraska wins, but West Mich answers their question better. Yes, they're on the verge BUT .... they aren't quite their eyt.

BC vs Kent St - The Golden Flashes have a guy in the backfield that could run circles around BC all night. Their QB could do the same. If there's ever been a time in which BC was ripe for the upset, this is it.

Fresno St @ Rutgers - Yeah, the state college of New Jersey is back on the map with quality ball. Fresno St is damn good though. In fact, they might be this year's BCS wonderkid. Either way Fresno beats Rutgers and announces to everyone that Wisconsin is on call when they come to Cali.

I see the definatly winning the Rutgers and the UCLA games but if they beat Wisconsin then that would put the icing on the cake

Bring those doggies to the Rose Bowl. UCLA has a defense. No offensive linemen, but the best defense in the conference (yes, I'll go there). I'll even say it right now.

UCLA will defeat the Tennessee Volunteers at the Rose Bowl.

Bring those doggies to the Rose Bowl. UCLA has a defense. No offensive linemen, but the best defense in the conference (yes, I'll go there). I'll even say it right now.

UCLA will defeat the Tennessee Volunteers at the Rose Bowl.

But what about the team that goes to school not too far from them that returns almost all of their defense from last year and plays in the same conference

That's right. Ohio State = National Champions.

You name the bet and I'll take it right now ..... Ohio State will not be winning the National Title, especially when you start the season with a loss, and then lose another in the Big 10.

OSU = Two loss season, or more.