NCAA Footbal 09 Season Thread

HailtotheYo

But Alabama with so many young players had lots of question marks. Seeing those players actually performing so well against a top 10 team is obviously going to increase his and most people's expectations out of the year. And as a fan, he has 'faith' that this team could really do something special and it's grounded, not just blind speculation based on the fact he roots for them.

You guys are taking things way to persona and for the life of me I wish that you would both go fuck off if all your going to do is argue back and forth about who is a true fan and how you shouldn't be allowed to change how much faith you have in your team to perform well this season.

Anyway, it sucks that Illinois lost last night (as they are my team I root for, have faith in, whatever) but seeing Juice playing so well really gives me some hope that this team can maintain a level of success and not just be a one year wonder. Maybe they won't do quite as well as last year, but building a program is a process.

• Like 1

I'm just telling him to temper his enthusiasm. I didn't get to see the game, since I'm in Pac 10 territory (got Cal/Michigan St instead), but it seemed more an indication of the problems with Clemson and the Tigers being overrated than that 'Bama was that good. Its a long season, especially in the SEC, and one game really means nothing at this point, especially with the expectations Tide fans have.

I saw some of the Illini/Mizzou game. Juice looked good, but its obvious that the defense is going to need work. I think losing Mendenhall (sp?) hurt a lot too, because they didn't seem as explosive or effective running the ball. I think that being in a 'down'/slower Big Ten helps them a lot, because they don't have to face the level of competition they would in some of the other conferences.

Alabama played well and I agree that it's probably a bigger sign that Clemson may be a bit over-rated. But the fact that so many young players stepped up and came to play on a bowl-like stage is impressive and if they can keep a little momentum from this game it's things like this that can carry a young team to a lot of success.

I agree that it's stupid to think this means that Alabama is going to be playing for a National Championship, they won't be. But it does show that maybe he can hope for an extra 2 or 3 wins.

As for Illinois, they had a horrible time trying to run the ball, but I think that was more to do with Missouri forcing Juice to throw. As for the defense, I think that they'll get better once they get some snaps under their belt, starting the season off against Chase Daniels and company wasn't the easiest of tasks. Like you said, with the Big Ten being down that should help.

You guys are taking things way to persona and for the life of me I wish that you would both go fuck off if all your going to do is argue back and forth about who is a true fan and how you shouldn't be allowed to change how much faith you have in your team to perform well this season.

And you can join is in a fucking three way, how about that ? Seriously, you shouldn't have said anything about it aside from adding your thoughts on the situation. People want to be three year olds, then that's what I give 'em.

I never said anything about being allowed to change faith. Read. I said he isn't the fan he says he is if he had to regain that faith. Again, read.

As for the actual situation, you are right. 'Bama is EXTREMELY young. But uh, as DMN said it was against a very overrated (even by me) Clemson squad that got exposed. One game a young player into veteran does not make. What that means, is that all those freshmen that played lights out in this game are going to have to LEARN the college game. Yeah, they can come out and blow it up a few times because they've got raw talent. That happens. That doesn't mean that they're "players" now. It was ONE GAME <--- .... I can't stress that enough. Excitement, yes. Drastically changing my season outlook, no. How about we see how they sit at the end of the season and a full slate of SEC games. They are going to face much better talent and much better coaching as the season goes on.

Illinois/Mizzou - Yeah, Juice looked good but Mizzou showed they've got a complete team. Meaning, EVERY part. Illinois still hasn't benefitted from having Zook around long enough. They don't have the interior lines yet, as Zook attracted the "dynamic" players first so they looked better on TV. That in turn is going to give them the rest of the team. They've got enough to be flashy and beat really good teams, but they're still a couple of steps away.

Oh, and DMN .... ECU is good <---- learn it, live it, love it :shifty::)

What I meant by definition of "not a lifelong fan" is that I came to Tuscaloosa when I was five. It's hardly a matter of "just converted". Hell, you look through some of my older posts, you'll see my misery during the Shula era, so I'm hardly a bandwagon jumper. I've just taken more focus to it this year as I go to the college, thus I feel a bond to my alma mater. I got a bit hot about the situation, no doubt, as I don't mean offense to you or DMN and I try to avoid being the "blinded by expectations that never quite come true" fan. And yes, all last night's win proved is how silly the stock of freshmen recruiting reflects the polls when nothing at all has happened yet.

Still, you look at Bama's upcoming schedule:

9/06 Tulane ESPN360.com 7:00 PM

9/13 Western Kentucky ESPN360.com 7:00 PM

9/20 @ Arkansas TBA

9/27 @ No. 1 Georgia TBA

10/04 Kentucky TBA

10/18 Mississippi TBA

10/25 @ No. 18 Tennessee TBA

11/01 Arkansas State TBA

11/08 @ No. 7 LSU TBA

11/15 Mississippi State TBA

11/29 No. 10 Auburn TBA

And I don't see many losses in that set. There's always potential for upsets, no doubt, but I remember that even in our bad schizophrenic year last season, we safely handled Tennessee. I don't think we've ever been far off against Auburn, the scoreboard of the past few years can tell you that. Georgia's probably an L, but I haven't seen them enough to know how deserving they are of #1.

Nice to see my old college, Bowling Green, get a big win. We spent a lot of money on a training center a few years ago; last year our old coach was on ESPN commenting on smaller schools upsetting bigger schools and mentioned BG as an example of small schools putting more money into their programs. I'm not sure how relevant BG can stay, but it's nice to get a big win once in a while. Too bad I moved about six months ago. Are people pretty excited around there, Green Demon? If they're not, they should be. What else is there to get excited about in BG? The fact that the Dairy Queen fills their Blizzards up past the plastic lid? Actually, now that I think about it, that is something to be excited about. The Dairy Queen in Kent stinks. Myles filled that shit up.

How do you not see very many losses on that schedule? 'Bama has to go to Georgia (who by the way is the top ranked team in the nation), LSU (who despite being slightly overated is still damn near unbeatable at home... especially at night), and Tennesse (which is a tough place I play no matter what you did last year), and then they have to play Auburn at home (who has owned them over the last few years). That's four brutal games right there, and then when you add on that 'Bama has a history losing to someone stupid like a So Miss, La Tech, Arkansas, Ole Miss, ect... I don't see 'Bama doing much better then 8-4, possibly 9-3.

Don't get me wrong, I actually think 'Bama is on the right track. However I think they are still a year or two away from challenging for the SEC title.

9/20 @ Arkansas TBA

9/27 @ No. 1 Georgia TBA

10/04 Kentucky TBA

10/18 Mississippi TBA

11/01 Arkansas State TBA

11/08 @ No. 7 LSU TBA

11/29 No. 10 Auburn TBA

And I don't see many losses in that set.

Define "many". They're a touchdown or more underdogs against at LEAST Georgia and LSU at the moment. They're also going to be underdogs at Tennessee as well, and the Auburn game is a pick 'em at best. That's 8-4 just going on paper right now. If they go two to the good of expectations that's 10-2 and I don't think they can expect anything more than that. If things go as expected it's 8-4 or 9-3, and an insignificant bowl game.

9/20 @ Arkansas TBA

9/27 @ No. 1 Georgia TBA

10/04 Kentucky TBA

10/18 Mississippi TBA

11/01 Arkansas State TBA

11/08 @ No. 7 LSU TBA

11/29 No. 10 Auburn TBA

And I don't see many losses in that set.

Define "many". They're a touchdown or more underdogs against at LEAST Georgia and LSU at the moment. They're also going to be underdogs at Tennessee as well, and the Auburn game is a pick 'em at best. That's 8-4 just going on paper right now. If they go two to the good of expectations that's 10-2 and I don't think they can expect anything more than that. If things go as expected it's 8-4 or 9-3, and an insignificant bowl game.

8 and 4's still better than 6 and 6. They'll be underdogs versus Tennessee, but they routed them by 27 last year. And three's not many, if you want a definition.

8 and 4's still better than 6 and 6. They'll be underdogs versus Tennessee, but they routed them by 27 last year. And three's not many, if you want a definition.

Yes, and you lost to ULM <---- ULM

See where I'm going with this ? So what if you beat UT by 27 last year ? You barely got by Vandy, barely got by HOUSTON, barely got by Ole Miss, got beat by a marginal FSU team, and that Tennessee team that you beat by 27 beat Georgia by 21 - and Georgia beat you, and you lost to Miss St.

So yeah, last year means a whole lot don't it ? .... sure, take all you want out of that 27pt win over UT last year .... if you do that, you have to look at EVERYTHING from last year.

And uh, Plankton ... I totally love you. Anyone that knows the joy of having their Blizzard filled past the lid is ok in my book.

Wow, this could be one of the worst performances I have ever seen by a QB in a first half. 4 INTs including one towards the end of teh half that is a pick 6 to give Tennessee the lead going into the half? DMN is probably hanging himself as we speak.

If you're attempting to come up with a snappy comeback about UCLA being down 7 to Tennessee at home in regards to my laughing at Pitt losing at home to Bowling Green, you can stop now. Not making excuses, but Kevin Craft is UCLA's projected third string QB, and Tennessee is ranked and plays in the SEC, not in the MAC. There will be no comparison.

I'm proud of our defense and special teams, but Kevin Craft is not ready for the big time. 14-7 with four INTs? I'll take it, sadly.

If you're attempting to come up with a snappy comeback about UCLA being down 7 to Tennessee at home in regards to my laughing at Pitt losing at home to Bowling Green, you can stop now. Not making excuses, but Kevin Craft is UCLA's projected third string QB, and Tennessee is ranked and plays in the SEC, not in the MAC. There will be no comparison.

I'm proud of our defense and special teams, but Kevin Craft is not ready for the big time. 14-7 with four INTs? I'll take it, sadly.

UCLA losing to Tennessee wouldn't be an upset.

And actually I wasn't attempting to do that. I was expressing my frustration at Dave Wannstadt for his underachieving team and talking about how Pitt needs to get a real offensive coordinator as Matt Cavanaugh doesn't cut it. LaRod Stephens-Howling averaged 10 yards per carry against Bowling Green and he only gives him the ball seven times. That's ridiculous.

Hopefully my post shows up this time.