NCAA Footbal 09 Season Thread

HailtotheYo

Nice to see my old college, Bowling Green, get a big win. We spent a lot of money on a training center a few years ago; last year our old coach was on ESPN commenting on smaller schools upsetting bigger schools and mentioned BG as an example of small schools putting more money into their programs. I'm not sure how relevant BG can stay, but it's nice to get a big win once in a while. Too bad I moved about six months ago. Are people pretty excited around there, Green Demon? If they're not, they should be. What else is there to get excited about in BG? The fact that the Dairy Queen fills their Blizzards up past the plastic lid? Actually, now that I think about it, that is something to be excited about. The Dairy Queen in Kent stinks. Myles filled that shit up.

Didnt see your post till now since I was gone for most of the weekend but yeah people are pretty pumped about the win over here and from what I am hearing this weekend game should be a near if not actual sellout. Like I said before it would be tough but if we were able to somehow come out of the OOC schedule with no loss and that really is a big if cause we are playing big schools things would definatly be looking good going into the MAC portion of the schedule.

Utah beating Michigan and Fresno beating Rutgers are hardly surprising. I'll give you the other two, though.

On a side note, I played with the QB from Oregon State's brothers in HS, and he went to the same HS I did. Heh.

I went to school and played football with Matt Ryan's little brother. Yuh. <_<

Edited by Mick's Bitch

Utah beating Michigan and Fresno beating Rutgers are hardly surprising. I'll give you the other two, though.

On a side note, I played with the QB from Oregon State's brothers in HS, and he went to the same HS I did. Heh.

I went to school and played football with Matt Ryan's little brother. Yuh. <_<

I went to Jr. High and High School with Will Harding (Fresno St. CB) and Tom Brandstater (Fresno St. QB). Will was hella cool and Brandstater was your typical preppie.

Sorry if I'm not supposed to do this, but I'm very excited to see what happens with my local college football team, the Montana Grizzlies. We lost a lot of starters on defense and special teams, so it will be interesting to see how they do with so many new faces. I hope the offense does great this year and we can actually win at least one playoff game after being unbeaten last season only to lose in the first playoff game. Still, pretty excited, especially considering my cousin is a sophomore redshirt, is wearing the prestigious number 37 that sells the most jerseys here, and is actually going to be starting this weekend in our first game. Can't wait :w00t:

Montana has been a power for a long, long time. I had a coach (name escapes me) that played CB on the team that got torched by Randy Moss.

But yeah, every year Montana is one of the top 10 1-AA teams in the land. Even with a shit ton of departures they'll reload. Plus, you get transfers such as Ochs (most recent big name I can think of) that certainly help out.

Now lets not get to far ahead of ourselves. They still have to beat UCF.

But they beat two top 20 teams in two weeks....on paper now they should go 13-0

Albeit, one of those is Virginia Tech, which isn't super great, and the other is a West Virginia without Rich Rodriguez.

Also, I'll claim the age old art of embarrassment. Embarrassment for everything that Bama did tonight versus of all teams, Tulane. They got lucky that with their horrid lack of offense that special teams and defense covered their ass because they played shamefully tonight. Meh, maybe Bama is overrated. A win's a win...but they play like THAT again, they aren't going to have too many wins for sure.

And our fans (i.e. The Student Section) are the fun drunks who say horribly wrong things to Tulane (they booed Tulane when they took the field after the announcer especially noted to pay them respect and be good sports, and a kid yelled "Katrina!" during a Tulane field goal attempt which is...wow. Offensive, but I kind of laughed...but was still offended.)

I know it was against Washington State, but Cal absolutely kicked the shit out of them today. Jahvid Best is a freak and will hopefully get some national recognition now, he is sick on the field.

And a disappointing showing from my Nevada Wolf Pack who lost to Texas Tech. 6 field goal attempts, if even just two of those had become touchdowns, the game would have been entirely different down the stretch. I was not impressed with Tech at all. Harrell looked extremely flat and was either underthrowing or throwing everything behind his receivers.

EAST CAROLINA will win Conference USA -> and they will beat either Virginia Tech and/or West Virginia in the first two weeks of the season.

Thank you Skip Holtz.

Also, I would like to vent on the fact that the USF/UCF rivalry is gone for the immediate future. WTF ? That game was fucking great last night. Both of those schools are in one of the top three hotbeds for CFB recruiting and are both programs in the fast lane. Seriously, way to drop the ball on that one.

LOL @ the Big East, Ohio St, Michigan, and Pac - 10 officials for that ass celebration call. Way to fuck YOUR OWN CONFERENCE out of a chance to win the game AT THEIR HOME FIELD. Fucking idiots.

Also, the Pac-10 is in trouble if Oregon St is any indication of the strength of the conference. They were ranked as high as 2 and averaged in the 3/4 range in pre season picks. This doesn't look good for them at all. On the upside of that, maybe Arizona can finally push through.

Illinois/Wisconsin are looking good in the Big Ten, and everyone is sleeping on Penn St. Ohio St is going to get romped in LA next week.

The Big 12 is finally looking good in the preseason (sans A&M's loss opening week). Mizzou/Oklahoma are very impressive right now, and Texas has shown up much better than I expected. On the other side of that coin, oh God the ACC looks bad, although the BC/GT game was a freakin slugfest.

Way to go Bowling Green, that's how you make good on a shock win in week one ! Get blown out by Minnesota ... nice.

Army .... I love you and all, but seriously let's get realistic about the athletics. You need to be 1-AA .... please.

I love that the supposed and perceived "gap" between BCS caliber schools and those in "lesser" conferences is finally closing on a visible scale. Some of us have thought the whole thing was shit from the start, but there where also those that point to the blowouts each year. Thankfully though, the changeover in CFB is rearing it's head and the so called "line" between competativeness is showing to be as imaginary as it really is. Yeah, the last place team in the WAC probably isn't going to be as strong as the last place team in the SEC. You know what though, I'd love to see several of those shit teams play ... Baylor, Washington State, Duke, or Minnesota. You want to draw a line ? Ok then, kick out the schools in BCS conferences that don't perform and put in the teams that do. Boise St, TCU, ECU, Fresno St, Utah .... put them in place of those shit BCS schools. If you can't perform you don't belong.

In fact, why not make the MWC a BCS conference ? Utah, BYU, TCU are good enough to be in BCS conferences (and two of them are ranked right now) and they consistantly beat BCS teams and do well in bowl games. Sure, it's three teams but uh, you could argue right now that the ACC doesn't have three teams as good as the MWC ... you could argue that the Pac-10 (outside of USC) doesn't have teams as good as BYU/Utah/TCU. My point, is that if you can even argue against a couple of BCS conferences that the MWC is as good, then you should probably take a look.

Meh, week 2 was fun and the first two weeks have been awesome. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

Also, I would like to vent on the fact that the USF/UCF rivalry is gone for the immediate future. WTF ? That game was fucking great last night. Both of those schools are in one of the top three hotbeds for CFB recruiting and are both programs in the fast lane. Seriously, way to drop the ball on that one.

Well thank UCF for getting blown out last year for ending the rivalry for now but that was a good game last night, Grothe put that last pass on the money, and the C-USA refs did better than the big conferences yesterday