Mercenaries 2

apsham

I was pretty pumped for this, but it released under my nose, but I caught the news of the release two days later. I thought about getting it and while waiting for the bus to come, I checked Gamespot to see what they said... they gave it a 5.0 and I was crushed... I thought this was going to be a fucking awesome game... so I talked myself out of it, but at the store I talked myself BACK into it and I've been playing it since.

Fuck Gamespot, seriously.

This is about the last straw that I have with them, really... every game that I have enjoyed greatly that wasn't one of the OMG BLOCKBUSTER games, has been given a shit score by them... and it's ridiculous because most of the shit that they pick on, is a problem in the games that make the site go all decked out. Their biggest gripes were with bugs, and having only updated on the second day of release and not been on XBox Live since (to get more patches) I have to say that... it's pretty much bullshit.

I've never really seen a game breaking glitch. I've ran into little scenarios where something wasn't supposed to happen and it killed me... but that isn't the games fault at it, it's what makes it awesome. I was trying to take over an outpost (that's a new feature for anyone who played the first game, mind you it's just a simple "capture this vase for Faction X type deal) and I landed my helicopter on their landing pad... and made a dash to get off it and find some cover. RPG fire destroyed the platform I was on and a piece of the concrete came down off its settings and crushed me, game over. Now that was a totally random occurence and it set me back wayyy at the start. But fuck you, that was awesome.

The other thing they griped big on was the voice acting and story. Which was fucking stupid, because this is a game about BLOWING SHIT UP AND MAKING MONEY. Who really cares? Ughh... I don't fucking get them one bit. Another thing mentioned was the cutscenes everytime you hijack a plane\tank. They last a few seconds people... it's nothing. I mean they did this to Too Human too, took spent a lot of time on the review talking about the death scene that takes SUCH a long time (it's really not long at all, if you're not ADHD retarded) and trying to justify taking off a lot of points for that. Either way, it's a cool game that really builds on everything that the first one did. If you liked the first one, you're going to love this one I'd say... no more indestructable enemy spawning bunkers from hell, just so you know.

Oh, and Too Human is pretty good too. Fuck "oohh, it took too long to come out and it's not as good as I thought it would be." Kiss my ass, it's still a fun game.

[/angry rant]

This is by far the most fun I've had with a game in a LONG time (yes, that includes GTA IV). I've gone close to 50 hours and only completed about half the story. I've spent more time running around blowing stuff up and verifying targets. And the incident you describe of the cement block killing you isn't a glitch. Stuff that gets blown up my land on you and your health takes a hit. The only glitch I've heard of (never experienced it) is that the other person in co-op sees you running/swimming, but your limbs are not moving, so it's like you're gliding. If that happens though, you can just have them exit and come back, since they can pop in at any time.

That's what I was saying though, they're making on that stuff that happens out of the ordinary is a glitch, when it really isn't. They seem to think that anything that isn't SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN shouldn't and I think that's retarded as hell. In their videos I saw some problems with the RPG guys getting stuck in the side of a window and glitching out as it were, but I've never seen that happen once. They also took shots on the enemy AI not seeing you sometimes... which is pretty much bullshit because I've had good experiences with the AI in most ways. I've been able to use the sniper rifle well, as well as do sneak attacks from water, from air, etc.

Co-op for me seems to work great. I am the one usually hosting my friend, and you're able to bring in the money & support items from his game to yours (so you don't lose out on what you've done). And since you can join/leave at any point, the story is largely unchanged. You don't have to be on the same screen either, though there is a radius on the map you have to stay within. As for the money made in co-op, you both get the full amount (so if a contract was for $300k, you both get $300k). The only thing the person you are hosting doesn't get is the money from the wagers you place on the skill challenges. But they are able to take advantage of things you have unlocked in your shops.

Oh, and I love
you can get the full song free from the developer's website.

I downloaded this legally from the musician's website, but I forgot who it was. I want to say Reel Big Fish. I uploaded it on my site, though.

http://www.youarentlistening.com/Oh_No_Full_Length.mp3

• 1 month later...