Lance Armstrong coming out of retirement

fourstarfizzle

Lance Armstrong is coming out of retirement to try to win an eighth Tour de France in 2009.

The American, who will be 37 on 18 September, recovered from cancer and claimed victory in the Tour a record seven times before retiring in 2005.

He said: "I'm happy to announce that after talking with my children, family and closest friends, I have decided to return to professional cycling...

"...in order to raise awareness of the global cancer burden."

He added: "This year alone, nearly eight million people will die of cancer worldwide. It's now time to address cancer on a global level."

More to follow.

BBC.co.uk

I never liked Lance Armstrong - I was always cheering for Jan Ullrich.

Indeed, I was one of the few cycling fans who just never enjoyed his top performances. He was undoubtably great and to come back from cancer to win the seven was sensational...But meh, just cos Man Utd are the best English footy team in recent history doesn't mean that I like 'em.

Still, with this year's Tour de France being so open it's not surprising that he wants to come back for number eight. I'd imagine sporting retirement is horribly depressing, however rich and famous you are.

I think Rasmussen comes off his ban in time for next year's Tour de France so I hope a team takes a chance on him too...Would lead to some cool battles in the mountains.

Well, he has maintained his fitness according to Sky by running marathons and that, so he potentially has it in him. Plus, cycling needs some positive news after the constant stream of negativity due to the issues with doping.

It also seems quite open next year, so maybe he legit feels he can win it.

Well aren't Columbia (was High Road, was T-Mobile) the American team at the moment - they also have George Hincapie who is one of Lance's main old teammates and a good right hand man. They also have Mark Cavendish as a sprinter and Thomas Lovkvist who is a brilliant up and coming rider.

If not then Astana will probably try to go after him as they have a Real Madrid approach to building a team of big names (Vinokourov, Kloden, Kessler, Contador, Ivanov, Leipheimer...) but I'd imagine that Armstrong would avoid them cos of the drugs stuff.

Garmin-Chipotle - David Millar's team - may also go for him.

Euro teams, especially the French teams, never tend to go for Americans...Or Brits...And often not Aussies...

If not then Astana will probably try to go after him as they have a Real Madrid approach to building a team of big names (Vinokourov, Kloden, Kessler, Contador, Ivanov, Leipheimer...) but I'd imagine that Armstrong would avoid them cos of the drugs stuff.

Johan Bruyneel is boss at Astana. If my memory isn't wrong, i belive he was boss for the US Postal team back in the day ? <_< Would be funny as hell if he signed for CSC though :lol: