RESULTS: EWB's 100 Favourite Artists 2008

YI

Does the use of Mary in 1930 count as a Maria?

By the time you get that far, either you will say it won't because you can't stomach another shot, or, you'll be well past been capable of hearing anymore (Y)

Now I wish I didn't have class tonight just to prove you wrong.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to see Gaslight Anthem didn't win. Not saying that because I don't like them - I've never listened to any of their stuff (but I've been meaning to for a while) and I prefer it when a band I know better wins so I can pass judgement. I was expecting them to win as well, going by all the votes I saw for them. Expected Muse to be up there and possibly win, but not by that much of a margin.

Top 10 finish for Blur makes me happy, 5th place for Oasis is annoying because I think they were Top 3 for like two years in a row? Now time to check out all the bands I haven't listened to before.

Blur! Whoo, very happy about that indeed. Utter surprise to see them there! Yays!

Muse at one is cool too. I still love 'em but the main entertainment comes from them beating the other groups up there.

To have Radiohead, Blur and Muse in the top 11 pretty much means I can't complain too much. :D

5th place for Oasis is annoying because I think they were Top 3 for like two years in a row? Now time to check out all the bands I haven't listened to before.

4th place last year, 11th the two years before that. (Y)

Well obviously. I didn't literally mean Top 3 :shifty:

Blur's one song gets them that high up the list?

and the guys succesful act is in the bottom 20 LOL

no rise against, No Use For A Name or Brand new :-(

Blur's one song gets them that high up the list?

and the guys succesful act is in the bottom 20 LOL

no rise against, No Use For A Name or Brand new :-(

Wait?! Blur only released one song?! Well sir this is certainly news to me as a lad who was a teenager during the britpop era in which Blur were one of the biggest and most important bands.

Which one song was it?

Parklife?

Beetlebum?

Country House?

Girls and Boys?

Charmless Man?

End Of The Century?

The Universal?

Coffee and TV?

There's No Other Way?

Tender?

MOR?

On Your Own?

or Song 2?

Not to mention all the album tracks etc...

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyThatcher

Wait?! Blur only released one song?! Well sir this is certainly news to me as a lad who was a teenager during the britpop era in which Blur were one of the biggest and most important bands.

Which one song was it?

Parklife?

Beetlebum?

Country House?

Girls and Boys?

Charmless Man?

End Of The Century?

The Universal?

Coffee and TV?

There's No Other Way?

Tender?

MOR?

On Your Own?

or Song 2?

Only song 2 was an international hit.

havent heard of the other ones.

thats the one that made it to australia

where as his other works in Gorillaz he has made many a hit over her.

Dont get me wrong i did like Blur and thought that it was a shame we didnt get as much stuff over here

But i mean that was a long time ago and they still reach the top ten above a band that is consistant like Foo Fighters?

the topic is fave bands 2008 not 1998

Which one song was it?

Parklife?

Beetlebum?

Country House?

Girls and Boys?

Charmless Man?

End Of The Century?

The Universal?

Coffee and TV?

There's No Other Way?

Tender?

MOR?

On Your Own?

or Song 2?

Dont get me wrong i did like Blur and thought that it was a shame we didnt get as much stuff over here

But i mean that was a long time ago and they still reach the top ten above a band that is consistant like Foo Fighters?

Actually it's your favourite artists up to and including 2008. Last I counted only two of the Beatles were still alive and they stopped producing music as a band some while back.

Blur actually (along with Suede and a couple of early 90s groups) pioneered the britpop era which effectively killed grunge in the UK. While Foo Fighters may have been a consistant group over a number of years now, they're no pioneers. But anyway that's by the by. We're not discussing BEST, we're discussing FAVOURITES and I'd never vote for Foo Fighters in my favourites list, however good I think they are musically, and plenty of others wouldn't vote for Blur and fair play to them.

Which one song was it?

Parklife?

Beetlebum?

Country House?

Girls and Boys?

Charmless Man?

End Of The Century?

The Universal?

Coffee and TV?

There's No Other Way?

Tender?

MOR?

On Your Own?

or Song 2?

Did the appearances of Dylan, Cohen, Iron Maiden, Johnny Cash, Ozzy and such and such not tip you off to the fact that it wasn't a list of bands from 2008? I mean, I can't be sure because stupid in many forms.

Did the appearances of Dylan, Cohen, Iron Maiden, Johnny Cash, Ozzy and such and such not tip you off to the fact that it wasn't a list of bands from 2008? I mean, I can't be sure because stupid in many forms.

Dylan has recently bought out an album

and the rest of those mentioned bands are classics, great bands who would still sell a fair few albums.

I really dont count Blur in the same category as Maiden, Cash, Ozzy, The Beatles, Bowie.. shall i continue?

They were a decent band with minimal world wide hits. still fun to listen to but Tenth is a major over-acheivement

i can only guess alot of brits voted her... with Muse winning and all.. but Muse are still relevant so props to them

Well, the board does have a lot of Brits - and was predominately ran by British admins and moderators until a little while back - so I guess it's not surprising a lot of British bands or band that are big in Britain covered the list.

Also I know Clawson is well into his Oasis, not so sure what he's like with Blur but I know he and few other North American members really like a lot of the 1990's British music.

While I do prefer Gorillaz to Blur, that's just personal preference. Damon Albarn is synonymous with Blur though, Gorillaz is just essentially a project he started afterwards. But yeah, while Oasis are much better than Blur in my opinion, their ongoing battles throughout the 1990's pretty much helped shape the British music scene and allowed to progress as it did.

There probably hadn't be a chart rivalry as big as that one since then.

Also I know Clawson is well into his Oasis, not so sure what he's like with Blur but I know he and few other North American members really like a lot of the 1990's British music.

I like Parklife the album but I find them too poppy for me. Think they're like 35th on my last.fm charts so they're up there but would never be in my top 10. But yeah that one song comment roffles my waffles.

....wait, Muse are relevant?

But, to be fair, like he said, outside of the UK Blur never amounted to anything, he just had a daft over-reaction to it. There are plenty of bands on this list that "shouldn't" be as high as they are by those standards - I think Gaslight Anthem being in the Top 5 is more bizarre (or would be if this weren't EWB) than Blur being Top 10.

But, yeah, the argument of "I thought this was best bands 2008 not best bands 1998, but oh it's alright to vote for these old ones because I think they're good" is a little flawed, I'd say.

Brand New are there, get a grip.

And NO USE FOR A NAME!!!! NO USE FOR A MOTHERFUCKING NAME!!!! You diss Bluyr but the last NUFAN albun eotjy shit was freleased in FUCKING 1995!!!! 1995!!!! AND THEY'VE KEPT RELEASING SHIT SINCEW THEN!!! FUCK NUFAN!!! FUCK'EM!!!

...and I like them.