Gamers Rejoice!

AnnIQ Edison

http://kotaku.com/5054772/jack-thompson-disbarred

Jack Thompson Disbarred

Is it finally game over for Florida lawyer and violent video game opponent Jack Thompson? Judgment has been entered in the case that started last year and came to a head when Judge Dava Tunis recommended permanent disbarment for the bombastic, showboating law man. The court has approved the report and has ordered that JT is officially disbarred as of 30 days from today.

The Court approves the corrected referee's report and John Bruce Thompson is permanently disbarred, effective thirty days from the date of this order so that respondent can close out his practice and protect the interests of existing clients. If respondent notifies the Court in writing that he is no longer practicing and does not need the thirty days to protect existing clients, this Court will enter an order making the permanent disbarment effective immediately. Respondent shall accept no new business from the date this order is filed.

Note that Thompson still has a chance for a retrial, only due to court sanctions the motion must me submitted by a member of the Florida Bar in good standing, and I don't know that anyone wants to touch this one. It's also worth noting that along with disbarment, Thompson has been ordered to reimburse the Florida Bar fees amounting to $43,675.35. Ouch.

We've contacted both the Supreme Court of Florida and Jack Thompson for comment and will update the story if both or either respond.

Well that took longer then it should've

Can I have the background story to this in layman's terms? :D

Jack Thompson is pretty much convinced that video games are the cause of all the worlds problems; he went on a massive campaign about how The Sims 2 was actually worse than the Hot Coffee part of GTA: SA because you can order you Sims to sleep together. He claimed Counterstrike was the reason for the Virginia Tech massacre, and that Mortal Kombat Armageddon intentionally damaged him because you could create a character in his likeness.

Can I have the background story to this in layman's terms? :D

Jack Thompson is pretty much convinced that video games are the cause of all the worlds problems; he went on a massive campaign about how The Sims 2 was actually worse than the Hot Coffee part of GTA: SA because you can order you Sims to sleep together. He claimed Counterstrike was the reason for the Virginia Tech massacre, and that Mortal Kombat Armageddon intentionally damaged him because you could create a character in his likeness.

That and every teenager that commits a murder in the United States does so because they have been brainwashed by Grand Theft Auto.

And he didn't think too kindly of Bully either.

Edited by TheArsenal

Thanks! I just done reading in wiki.. Well his cause seemed pretty good in the beginning but then he got obsessed with it it seems. And "when you become obesessed with the enem you become the enemy" :D I should as well add the serious notion that he might be after the money in many of the cases he filed (according to wiki where he settled for monetary agreements). So a typical case of a crusader gone mad?

No doubt at all that it was Rockstar. They've always been his biggest target after all. I wouldn't be surprised if Rockstar declares this "Disbarrment Day" at the RS offices and make it a payed day off from this point on