Carling Cup Semi Finals et al

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope Bentley gets sold in the summer. One flukey goal is all the good he has done this year. Literally.

On the contrary, I hope O'Hara and Dawson stay forever. Only two who show character.

Edited by Zaz

Dawson was lush. Even with one leg for the last ten minutes he was magnificent.

King was amazing too. We don't need Bentley now anyway cos Lennon's reaching full brilliance.

It's cool. All Spurs fans have total love and sympathy for O'Hara cos you could tell how much it meant to him and he ran his heart out all day - all season in fact.

Bentley on the other hand is villified :P No way he should have been allowed to take that penalty - he's been useless.

Wasn't the most exciting encounter, yet a really great battle for the two. Seeing so many people struggling in extra time just made it feel that bit more important.

Foster had a great game, really happy for him. Anderson looked brilliant when he came on. Tottenham played really well I thought, even on the day for me. I thought some of their players worked their asses off.

Spurs would've won if they'd not fluffed up some very good chances. The nearer it got to a shoot out the more it was always going to favor Man Yoo.

Jenas and BAE have probably been our worst players but even they've done ok.

What game were you watching? Assou-Ekotto was very good, handled supposedly the best player in the world pretty well and was decent throughout.

Good game, I'm glad it didn't end with a Gomes mistake or something, that would have been horrible. English players can't take penalties at all can they? <_<

And yes, I too hope Bentley is sold in the summer. Barring the one moment of magic against Arsenal I can't think of anything he's done well since we signed him. Hopefully Redknapp takes the fiver or whatever someone's willing to give up for him and use it towards a left winger which he said was a top priority in January yet never addressed it after being turned down for Downing.

BAE has a horrible habit of losing his concentration. True though he kept that to a minimum today and I liked the way Tottenham double marked anyone attacking down the left.

It wasn't Pav's day either. I think he just got himself TOO psyched at the whole scoring in every game thing and he just didn't perform. Bent didn't have too much to do but he was pretty strong on the ball.

I'm glad Gomes played well and made some good saves. The guy has done nothing but good these last few months but STILL commentators expect him to make a blunder any second which he hasn't really done since we changed our goalkeeping coach. I know it's good for building excitement at corners for the viewers but I feel pretty safe with Gomes between the sticks now.

Was tense stuff, I've always maintained that due to the fact it's a match where I wasn't bothered who won I was still getting worked up, that if Sunderland ever ever make a cup final in my lifetime, I will probably suffer a heart attack. A random game in the season and I can feel my heart stop, hell, hearing "And off the Stadium of Light for the latest news..." on Gillette Soccer Saturday makes my heart go into overdrive so fuck knows what I'd be like in a big, big situation. Luckily perhaps though, that probably won't ever occur.

As for the match. The better team did win, but it was a close game. I mean, Man Utd had the better opportunities and probably worked the chances better, but Spurs looked good in defence. I was skeptical of BAE at the start but he coped brilliantly with Ronaldo, and even in extra time was still out sprinting Nani with ease. I think I was neutral but starting to lean towards Tottenham, mainly for the underdog reason, partly because of the fat woman behind me "thinking she knew something about football." As it were. Also I felt heartbroken for O'Hara when he missed, he seems like a really passionate player - and all the fans as well, it must be hard to take. For all these Man Utd glory hunters who only know winning and are celebrating the cup win, they win so many matches and so many trophies - and deservedly so - but the heartbreak that must come with Spurs coming so close again but falling on penalties is a feeling those Man Utd fans could probably only imagine.

Still, it was a pretty decent match given the lack of clear cut chances. And Man Utd were probably the better team in the long run, although Spurs got back into it really well as the match progressed, Lennon a highlight in particular. Modric played well too, and it's frustrating to see Pavulchyenko struggling because I want him to do well so much. A decent game, nothing amazing but the occasion made it that much better, and pretty fun to watch.