The Punisher WARZONE Thread

MyKILLv2.0

Ugh, :crying: , I LOVE Ray Stevenson's character from Rome, but again... ugh! Why do they have to goofy up THIS film? Seriousness... during a time when they are trying to give everyone including Superman a 'dark side', why take the character that outside of Batman may fit that mold perfectly and goofy him up? I just don't get it.... >_<

Ugh, :crying: , I LOVE Ray Stevenson's character from Rome, but again... ugh! Why do they have to goofy up THIS film? Seriousness... during a time when they are trying to give everyone including Superman a 'dark side', why take the character that outside of Batman may fit that mold perfectly and goofy him up? I just don't get it.... >_<

The director chick was kicked off of her own movie by Lionsgate who wanted something different than the dark and brooding violent Punisher movie she envisioned. That never turns out well. I suspect this shall be shitty.

Once I saw that it was no longer Thomas Jane playing The Punisher, who I thought did an ace job on the first one I really lost all interest in this rather shitty looking flick.

It's a shame because Jane left the project for good after years of waiting right before the director chick came on board. Her vision was much like his vision for the character. Or maybe it's not a shame anymore, seeing as what has happened.

I heard Lexi wasn't actually off the project. I saw like a 2 minute trailer over the summer that was more violent than the entire previous film was, so that was good. They said they're basing it off Punisher MAX, which is the only way to go with the character.

I don't even really see what you mean from that trailer about "goofying" it up, besides Jigsaw looking fairly ridiculous.

Edited by Maxx

No more goofy than some of the stuff in the last movie.

That's sort of the point though. Thomas Jane wanted a more serious tone to the sequel. It was part of the reason why he said yes, originally, to reprising the role. If I recall correctly, he was fairly happy with the way the first one turned out, but after going through and reading a lot of the comics, he felt like the sequel should be broodier, darker and have less comedy in it. I believe that the two major points that cost them a Jane return were first, that it took so fucking long to get the second one made... and second, that the content in the script was increasingly changed to be less violent over time, and Jane didn't like the way it looked like the film was headed, so he bailed.

Remember the Batman films from the late '80s and '90s? Remember the special effects they used, the campy-ness of it all despite it trying to take itself seriously? Remember, just... remember how those movies looked, how their environment FELT like a real-life cartoonic style Batman? And remember how, back then, it at least was pretty good (well, sans Batman & Robin anyway)? And know how bad it would suck today if they tried it again?

This is what I feel like that trailer has captured. This is how I feel they are steering the Punisher with a trailer like that.

This is me greatly disappointed.

Once I saw that it was no longer Thomas Jane playing The Punisher, who I thought did an ace job on the first one I really lost all interest in this rather shitty looking flick.

Same here. Jane did a wonderful job on a really good movie (with a kick-ass soundtrack). I abhor movie sequels that don't make the effort to use the same cast (continuity, people!), and this one looks especially shitty.

Same here. Jane did a wonderful job on a really good movie (with a kick-ass soundtrack). I abhor movie sequels that don't make the effort to use the same cast (continuity, people!), and this one looks especially shitty.

Jane did a wonderful job on an underwhelming film (with Generic Rock Soundtrack 1038).

The Punisher wasn't a bad movie, but it wasn't what it should have been either. I enjoyed it, and even have the film, but it just wasn't what it needed to be, in order to really hit it. The Punisher should be along the same lines as the first Blade film. It should be gritty, it should be in your face, and there should be minimal comedic moments.

They really wanted Thomas Jane on board for the second film, so it's hardly like they just decided that Ray Stevenson was a better choice. Like I said though, they fucked around too much and he (Jane) realized that they weren't going to make the movie he wanted to make anyways, so he dropped out and went to work on a film that he wanted to be involved in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCIWQpeU5-c

Red band, a little less goofy now?

From what I've seen its pretty much in line with Punisher: MAX, which is ridiculously over the top violent and full of gore, so I'm pretty excited for it.

Of course if they've neutered it, I'll be pissed.

Edited by Maxx

:lol: I don't know if goofy is the word I would use, but bad, I'd say. Some of those deaths were so ridiculous, it's like this is a direct-to-DVD film. Castle punches a man's face off.... HE PUNCHES! A MAN'S! FACE OFF! It's Epic, but he's no Chuck Norris or Samuel L. Jackson. Edited by Inner D Monz

Its The Punisher, you're never going to see some like gritty noir film because thats rarely ever been done with Punisher in the comics and its incredibly far removed from anything Marvel's film lines have ever, or likely will ever produce.

You're all expecting too much from this film. I'll be happy with it if its got the levels of gore and violence the last Rambo film had. Anything else is probably asking for too much, considering the circumstances surrounding the film.

The standing on a chandelier and spinning around and spinning upside down wasn't goofy at all to you? It just seemed so meh.

Actually, that just made me think "When did this become Punisher: Boondock Saints?"

I didn't care about the first Punisher film (unless you count the one with Dolph Lundgren). I didn't really care about this one when it was announced. I didn't care about it when I saw the first trailer. I only started to care when I heard Jigsaw was gonna be the villain. But judging from the trailer, it looks like they're trying to make him a half-assed Joker, which won't work. The red-band trailer piqued my interest a bit (and gave me half a boner when I saw the table leg go through the dude's eye) but I really just don't care that much, which is kinda odd considering The Punisher is one of my favorite heroes. I literally have no expectations for this film, so that may mean I may just enjoy it...that is if I actually decide to see it.

Put the trailer alongside of any clips from Batman Forever, or really any of the Batman movies after the original where you start to notice more cartoony color schemes being used, more advanced lighting that actually saps any seriousness to the set away completely, in the both of them.

I don't know why, but when I was watching it, I just got this vibe that they were using the exact same filming style, color scheme, et all that was used in Batman Forever, in this movie. I couldn't take it seriously. Jigsaw, especially in the lighting he was placed in, looks so fucking cartoonic that I honestly laughed when I saw him. It looked terrible.

Normally I'm gracious with movie trailers but Jesus, for some reason this honestly just put me off entirely. The movie looks terrible, it looks cheesy and like a '90s-Batman-Style superhero flick. If we could have had a Punisher that was as dark and gritty as, say, The Dark Knight was allowed to be... it could have probably made the movie look a whole lot better. Capture the actual character of the Punisher, make it dark and serious and completely non-campy, and you're going to get an action-adventure flick out of it that would bring people in by the droves.

The thing about the Punisher is, you can tap into the superhero flick fans without having to make it a superhero styled movie. You can make it dark, make it gritty... make it realistic, and actually adapt off of the stories behind the Punisher to make one hell of a film. I can promise you, people who don't know who the Punisher is would still want to see this movie just because it looked like a killer action flick.

But, no... that's, yeah, that's just the ideal of how the movie would be. What the execs are going for with this one WILL sell, and it probably will sell decently. That being said, I think that The Dark Knight proved that you don't have to cater to the masses to make a massively successful film, as the masses will see it anyway and, if you take the film seriously enough while making it, chances are it'll be good enough that they'll come back to see it a few more times, get the DVD, and spread the word of mouth.