Lesser known songs from well known albums

Liam

I'm guessing "Going Away To College" by Blink 182 from the Enema Of The State album isn't generally touted as one of the big releases off it but for me it's the best thing they've ever done.

We're Going to be Friends by The White Stripes off White Blood Cells. Although it's picked up a bit due to the Jack Johnson cover. Was easily the best song off the album (well their best song period in all honesty).

My favourite songs by these two bands - good calls.

And the one that springs to mind is At My Most Beautiful by REM. It doesn't seem to have been a big hit, and I'd never heard it before I got the Greatest Hits album, so it baffles me how it's not more popular.

Why do so many musos dismiss the Clash? I have a feeling that it's partly a result of them supposedly being 'unmelodic' (which might be true of the first album, but certainly doesn't apply to 'London Calling' or 'Sandinista!').

I think a lot of it is an image thing. They're seen as being part of that self-consciously macho/'hard' strain of '77 punk without having the credentials to back it up (Strummer being a doctor's son from Surrey and so on) but, again, they moved away from that presentation of themselves by the second album and certainly by the third. And can anyone be blamed for getting swept up by the aesthetics that went along with punk?

I've also heard them get criticised for being too politically 'naive', or as blithely endorsing political violence ('sten guns over Knightsbridge' and what not). But songs like 'Tommy Gun' explicitly moved them away from that stance, and a lot of the political songs on 'London Calling' are just standard Leftist fare ('Clampdown', 'Spanish Bombs') and do betray more maturity. And just because an idea is 'naive', that doesn't mean it's invalid or not worth airing.

How can anyone not love 'London Calling' (the album), at least? It has fantastic pop songs like 'Train in Vain' and 'Spanish Bombs', loads of excellent 'post-punk'-type songs that demonstrate just an excellent adeptness for songwriting ('Lost in the Supermarket', 'London Calling', 'Hateful', 'The Card Cheat'), nice little curios like 'Koka Kola' and probably the best attempt to marry punk and reggae that was ever recorded by an English punk band ('Revolution Rock').

"I've Just Seen A Face" is my favorite Beatles song.

It's from "Help" which, admittedly, isn't their biggest release, but it's still nowhere near as well known as the titular track, "Yesterday", or "Ticket To Ride".

This is the clear winner. Can't believe I forgot about it.

"Bring Back That Leroy Brown" by Queen ("Sheer Heart Attack") is EASILY my favourite Queen song

"Waggy" by Blink 182 ("Dude Ranch") and I'll second/third "Going Away To College"

"Rhythms" and "Summer" are my favourite two Sum 41 songs ("All Killer No Filler")

I LOOOVE "The Passenger Seat" by Death Cab For Cutie ("Transatlanticism") but it is often overlooked as it's seen as the sweet piano song that 'fades' out after the epic title track.

"Drifting Along" by Jamiroquai ("Travelling Without Moving") is one of my favourite Jamiroquai tunes, and it's just so 'random', the whole Carribbean style, cool as fuck tune.

To tired to do anymore at the minute. :shifty:

Edited by YI

:o You are dead to me.

I hope Fiona gets dicked by a person of African descent, who stretches her fanny to the size of a trough and gives her internal injuries. :shifty:

Edited by Nashville Starr
This or a warning...your choice.

"Hold On" & "The One" off Limp Bizkit's Chocolate Starifsh. Love those two, they're Bizkit's most serious songs, with the former being their most upbeat and the latter of which shows both Durst's and Scott Wieland's talents.

I hope you didn't misunderstand me. The Clash are my favourite group of all time and Rudi is just a spectacular song. London Calling as an album is great but Rudi is just the greatest thing there is.

Why do so many musos dismiss the Clash? I have a feeling that it's partly a result of them supposedly being 'unmelodic' (which might be true of the first album, but certainly doesn't apply to 'London Calling' or 'Sandinista!').

I think a lot of it is an image thing. They're seen as being part of that self-consciously macho/'hard' strain of '77 punk without having the credentials to back it up (Strummer being a doctor's son from Surrey and so on) but, again, they moved away from that presentation of themselves by the second album and certainly by the third. And can anyone be blamed for getting swept up by the aesthetics that went along with punk?

I've also heard them get criticised for being too politically 'naive', or as blithely endorsing political violence ('sten guns over Knightsbridge' and what not). But songs like 'Tommy Gun' explicitly moved them away from that stance, and a lot of the political songs on 'London Calling' are just standard Leftist fare ('Clampdown', 'Spanish Bombs') and do betray more maturity. And just because an idea is 'naive', that doesn't mean it's invalid or not worth airing.

How can anyone not love 'London Calling' (the album), at least? It has fantastic pop songs like 'Train in Vain' and 'Spanish Bombs', loads of excellent 'post-punk'-type songs that demonstrate just an excellent adeptness for songwriting ('Lost in the Supermarket', 'London Calling', 'Hateful', 'The Card Cheat'), nice little curios like 'Koka Kola' and probably the best attempt to marry punk and reggae that was ever recorded by an English punk band ('Revolution Rock').

I hope you didn't misunderstand me. The Clash are my favourite group of all time and Rudi is just a spectacular song. London Calling as an album is great but Rudi is just the greatest thing there is.

No, no, sorry, CSAMH, should've made myself clearer. It was just that all the Clash praise in this thread encouraged me to listen to LC again, and I really enjoyed it. Which got me thinking about criticisms of the Clash I've heard in the past, and the fact that those criticisms are exceptionally weak and rubbish. It was a tangential point rather than a direct response to stuff in the thread.

On the Nevermind theme, On a plain and Something in the way, slightly better known than Lounge Act but not two of the big songs on the album.

Throw in "Enough Space" from Colour and Shape, "Disenchanted Lullaby" from One by One and "Another Round" from In Your Honor all by the Foos.

The God that Failed from Metallica's black album is another, but I don't know if I'd say it's better than SBT. Notable mention to Blackened from AJFA but I'm afraid it's just pipped to the post by Harvester of Sorrow.

Actually I could be here all day, I tend to like a lot of the "lesser" songs more than/as much as the well known ones.

Well, let's see, I think Ace of Spades is a good album to start with. It has one of Motorhead's best known songs (the title track) yet I've always found Love Me Like a Reptile and Shoot You in the Back to be the most powerful efforts from this album.

Nevermind The Bollocks is probably best known for God Save the Queen and Anarchy in the UK, but again I find that a good majority of the songs from that album are superior. Bodies, Pretty Vacant, and No Feelings stick out to me as the highlights of this classic album.

Most people cite Fairytale of New York as the masterpiece of If I Should Fall From Grace With God, and I wont deny people their opinion of that. However, I will also make it clear that I believe Bottle of Smoke to be the best track on that album, followed by the medley of The Rocky Road to Dublin/Recruiting Sergeant (etc. etc.).