Now That's What I Call A Music Thread: 2009

YI

WE FUCKED OUR EARS!! WE FUCKED OUR THROATS!! SCREAMING FOR THE SAKE OF WHAT WE LOVE MOST!! THESE PRETTY SCARS AREN'T GOING ANYWHERE!!! THE REDDER! THE BETTER! LOSE YOUR VOICE AND MAKE IT HURT!!!! RELUCTANCE! RESERVE! REFUSE THESE THINGS!!

...that was possibly even more epic that I ever imagined it could be. Crowd was really, really good. Maybe not as 'WILD' as I thought it could be, but basically a good showing, seemed like everyone from the North had congregated there, as I even saw a couple of familiar faces from shows up here (there's a guy who's always in a diamond studded leather jacket thing I saw at Finch and Streetlight Manifesto, and the two bro guys from A Wilhelm Scream were here too).

Oh fuck, when I thought it couldn't get more badass than a Get Up Kids they did "To The Engravers" from their demo. "WHOOOOOAAAAAA'd" to death. :D

Thought I was going to be stranded at Leeds bus station (which is in such a shit area....Leeds ¬_¬ BOOOYAH!!! :shifty:) for the night after a mix-up with a friend, but after various phonecalls around going nuts, I finally got in contact with someone, who took me to a 'house party' (albeit a REALLY SHIT house party), met some nice people, and it helped me kill 5/6 hours before I got a coach home.

Fucking nackered, only got a little shuteye on the coach. And the whole ordeal hardly seems worth it now as;

June 2nd - O2 Academy 2, Newcastle

Polar Bear Club

w/Ruiner, Defeater

...gay...they were epic though, and it was a much better crowd than they'll probably get up here, anyway.

Oh, apparently some awesome shit has leaked in my absence. Metric, Royksopp, Client and The Decemberists are all out there. And God Is An Astronaut are great, I have their album that came out in 2007, never got anything else, but I really liked that. Check out Kyte too, they're lovely, easily one of my favourite bands going. Especially since on top of their 2 EP's, I have 10/11 (10 and a remix) new/random songs too, can't get enough of them.

Oh, and Brand New have announced tour dates;

All the dates are listed below. General tickets go on sale this Friday the 13th of March.

June 23 Manchester @ Academy (gigsandtours.co.uk)

June 24 Glasgow @ Barrowland (ticketmaster.co.uk)

June 26 Birmingham @ O2 Academy (gigsandtours.co.uk)

June 27 London @ Forum (gigsandtours.co.uk)

Tempted with London, it's a Saturday, so definitely do-able...although I'd be finished uni by then...but I think London's still probably the easiest to get to...maybe Glasgow, but fuck dealing with ticketmaster. :shifty:

Edited by YI

I love their singles, but fuck, the intro to "Sunshine" by All-American Rejects is the best thing they've ever done, shame after those 15 seconds the song turns to absolute gash. Pretty much the entire album besides "Gives You Hell" is complete wank too, but man, those 15 seconds are lovely.

See, first 15 seconds are lovely.

Edited by YI

Not Without a Fight, the just released album from New Found Glory... is pretty kickass.

In fact, they've been very busy lately, what with Tip of the Iceberg, ISOH, From the Screen II and now this... and it's all been much better than "at the height of their popularity", a few years back, where it seemed that they were starting to fizzle out a bit.

This is my "review" of the new Decemberists album:

Prelude - :mellow:

The Hazards of Love 1 (The Prettiest Whistles Won?t Wrestle the Thistles Undone) - :D

A Bower Scene - :D

Won't Want for Love (Margaret in the Taiga) - :D

The Hazards of Love 2 (Wager All) - :D

The Queen's Approach - :angry:

Isn't it a Lovely Night? - :)

The Wanting Comes in Waves / Repaid - :D

An Interlude - :)

The Rake's Song - :D

The Abduction of Margaret - :D

The Queen's Rebuke / The Crossing - :)

Annan Water - :D

Margaret in Captivity - :D

The Hazards of Love 3 (Revenge!) - :)

The Wanting Comes in Waves (Reprise) - :)

The Hazards of Love 4 (The Drowned) - :D

Too many stupid interludes.

In other news, Antony and the Johnson's new(ish) album is pretty good. Nothing comes close to beating the amazing "Fistful of Love" though.

Edited by metalman

I agree completely with metalman, I can do without the interludes but the trio Hazards of Love pt 1 - A bower scene - Won't want for love, is ace, absolutely brilliant!

...I don't particularly like it...I honestly don't know why. New Metric however is great.

Pete Doherty is awesome too. "Sweet By And By" is absolutely amazing, really loving "Arcadie", "A Little Death Around The Eyes" (which musically sounds like a kick arse Bond theme), "Palace of Bone", "New Love Grows On Trees" and of course the single "Last Of The English Roses", which sounds like Gorillaz meets The Clash, not particularly like the rest of the album though.

Not sure whether to put a delayed 'THE WEEK' up, or just wait for the weekend and do a 2 week gap. Hopefully I'll get the 'live shows' up to date, as I'm about a month out of date with them.

Jeniferever's album is out there. :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Edited by YI

So a quick review of last night at Nice and Sleazy's:

Lost in Audio = (Y). Not bad, only heard a couple of tracks but enjoyable.

Grammatics = (N). Rather poor, broke strings, sound engineer fucked up a backing track so they changed to a shit song, no chat either.

Red Light Company = (Y). Good but did a shorter set than advertised.

Haha, just got back from the next date on that tour. :)

Grammatics = (N). Rather poor, broke strings, sound engineer fucked up a backing track so they changed to a shit song, no chat either.

YOU FIEND!!!

My thoughts;

The Chevrolites - Local indie-band, I know of them but have never really listened to. I know of them because this really quiet/shy/intelligent girl I knew years back has apparently turned into some slutty groupy type for them. She's not much of a looker, but still, they don't deserve groupy types, they weren't offensive by any stretch of the imagination, just tried a bit too hard to be The Libertines, IMO.

Grammatics - (Y) (Y) ...the extra one for the fit cello player, I had no idea they had a female member (despite looking back their clearly being a girls legs on the album cover and female vocals most notably in "Relentless Fours"). They were admittedly the reason I went, and I will admit, they weren't as good as I thought/hoping they would be. But tracks like "D.I.L.L.E.M.A" and "Polar Swelling" were great. I really do think they need another member though (even if it's just live) as on album they've got intricate layers, which just don't come across live. Still, I thought they were good, maybe they just had an off night last night, I dunno, or maybe the fact I'm a fan...or just different strokes for different folks. I like them because they remind me of Aereogramme, and Aereogramme were awesome. Not much of a banter band, I'll agree.

Red Light Company - (Y) I've honestly never heard of these...their album according wiki is at #13 in the album chart. How have I not heard of these?!?!! They were really good though. Giving the album a download now. :) Actually, that's not strictly true, I had heard of them, they were in the metro on Monday, they got 3-stars, but I was more bothered about them bigging up Marina & The Diamonds in the singles section. :shifty:

Also, gig news!!! It probably only effects me and Ollie, but Algernon Cadwallader and Teenage Cool Kids are touring at the end of the year;

04/10 - Brighton

05/10 - Manchester

06/10 - Glasgow

07/10 - Sheffield tbc

08/10 - Kingston

I'm thinking Glasgow or Sheffield at the minute, really want to make it. Love Algernon Cadwallader. Teenage Cool Kids are a bit of alright too.

Edited by YI

Perhaps Grammatics did just have an off night, I have heard a lot of good things about them. They admitted it was only the third time they'd played this year so they were pretty rusty. I'll give their stuff a download and a listen see if it's any better. A lot of the vocals I couldn't hear live.

Next gig for me as it stands now is The Boy Least Likely To on the 18th then Gideon Conn on April 5th. :)

Edited by Mark JindrADG

It's a nice place if you like your feet being glued to the floor and a small, cramped venue with a pillar running down the middle right in front of the stage so if you're at the right angle any lead singer looks like he's kissing the pillar.

I've really got the live music bug at the minute. I mean, there's honestly little I love more than a good gig, but I'm swamped with so much choice at the minute. Whether it be checking out local bands at "Where Angels Play" on a Saturday night, travelling to Leeds on a whim to see Polar Bear Club (I did it, with gig ticket, for fucking £14...BARGAIN!)...like this past week I've seen;

Saturday - Electric Six w/Tragedy and Finding Atlantis @ Academy (Was a shitload of fun, even if I knew fuck all :shifty:)

Sunday - Polar Bear Club w/The Lock & Keys and Beasts @ Leeds Cockpit 3 (The most dingey/disgusting, fabulously amazing venue I've had the pleasure to ever go to! :D)

Wednesday - Red Light Company w/Grammatics and The Chevrolites @ The Cluny (I like the Cluny, it's still an absolute cunt for me to get to though)

And I've got the following, as definite's in the next week or so, which should be awesome;

Friday 13th - Lisa Lashes @ Digital (Half being dragged along, but I do love Digital, plus I've had my ticket bought for me and it's a DJ I have actually heard of :shifty:)

Monday 16th - goFASTER >> w/Ice Caps, Djanglearbra and The Phades @ The End (goFASTER >> despite having a retarded name are pretty good...plus it's cheap as fuck)

Wednesday 18th - Stiff Little Fingers w/Tripdash @ Academy (HOLY FUCK! Tripdash are good! WE HAVE A FUCKING GOOD PUNK ROCK BAND IN THE AREA!!! :o WHY THE FUCK DO "PURE GRAFT" STILL GET GIGS THEN!?!?!)

Thursday 19th - Pulled Apart By Horses w/We Vs The Shark, Castro and Kids Of '87 @ The End

OR

Thursday 19th - The Boy Least Likely To w/The School and Your Casket Or Mine? @ The Cluny

OR

Thursday 19th - End of term uni-pissup...which to be honest, I'll probably end up picking that over any of those two, I mean I could pop along after, but nah.

Saturday 21st - Apologies I Have None w/Onsind, Pure Graft, Mega Games 2, High Risk Existence and Fashanu @ The Cooperage

Wednesday 25th - Paige and Me Vs Hero w/Astro-Chimp and Castro @ Academy 2

Thursday 26th - Pete Doherty w/Graham Coxon and Dot Allison @ Academy

+ Thursday 26th - 'Frightened Rabbit Afterparty' ft. live sets from 'We Were Promised Jetpacks' and 'Ross Clark And The Scarfs Go Missing' @ The End (Not sure about this, as the guy I'm going to Doherty with has work early the next morning...but will try and get others to go...apparently Frightened Rabbit are doing an acoustic gig in a FUCKING CASTLE earlier in the night, but it's like 100 people, sold out already...couldn't have gone anyway, so doesn't bother me)

Going to be some good times. :D

Edited by YI