Now That's What I Call A Music Thread: 2009

YI

http://www.thetraintracks.org/track.php?id=39

Amazing...Andrew Jackson Jihad playing on a train, with perfectly timed tannoy interlude, and an old guy walking on staring at them with the most awesome "WHAT THE FUCK!?!" face.

I would love it if that happened on the trains around here, although they'd probably be booted off for some daft reason. <_<

Anyway, that band Dananananaykroyd are in Edinburgh on Tuesday and it's only £7 so i'm tempted to go along, although no-one else will go being the twats they are.

Has anyone seen them live and are they worth going too?

The bird's married to him from Futureheads apparently...learn something new everyday...is their album out yet?

And pimping of the day is Luke Leighfield - http://www.myspace.com/simplylukeleighfield

Awesome stuff.

Oh, and Greatest Hits - http://www.myspace.com/greatesthitshits

Ever wondered what a solo project from a frontman of an up and coming experimental hardcore band sounds like? It sounds like Get Cape Wear Cape Fly, with epically cheesy basslines stolen from 80's Madonna.

Edited by YI

Sure I read it comes out on the 8th which is Wednesday although I'd imagine they'd maybe sell it at the gigs they have coming up over the week.

I'll probably go along anyway, it's only 7 quid and it's in Edinburgh so i'm not wasting alot of money if they turned out to not be very good, plus it's something to do atleast.

Prodigy are also playing Rock am Ring this year.But I'm thinking about selling the ticket because I'm not so into the lineup and don't think it's worth it.I was never that big on The Prodigy,but only know a couple of songs from them,which album would you recommend YI?

"The Fat Of The Land", absolutely no doubt about it (has their 3 most recognisable singles on it). Then "Music For The Jilted Generation".

I've also literally had "Omen" stuck in my head all day after hearing it last night. One of those tunes, no matter where you are, it actually causes your body pain to stop yourself just spontaneously breaking into dance. :shifty:

Edited by YI

Shit YI,I have Breathe stuck in my head for the whole day now.Anyway good recommendation,that record has some awesome songs on it,but also ones I really can't get into.It's just not the type of music I normally listen to.

On another note,just heard that a couple of my friends are playing a gig on saturday,which prevents this week from becoming one without concerts.If anyone wants to check them out, clck here for their myspace.They play some kind of alternative music,heavily influenced by RHCP and The Smiths I guess. I think their quite good,but maybe I'm biased because I know them all.

Anyway my musical interest in this year is not that high; don't know of any new records that are coming out to wich I can look forward.Hook me up with something I could like -_-

Good god, new St. Vincent. Awesome. Everyone's on about this bullshit about musical progression, such as the justification why people were all LAY OFF THE CHRIS CORNELL because he was experimenting, but this is fucking musical progression. Much more fun and dramatic than Marry Me, and I loved Marry Me.

Anyway my musical interest in this year is not that high; don't know of any new records that are coming out to wich I can look forward.Hook me up with something I could like -_-

I had a glance at your last.fm, you like a bunch of German bands I've never heard of, but your genre seems to be punk-rock. So let's go! :D

1. "The High And Mighty" by The Cut Ups

One of my favourite albums of the year so far, and easily my favourite punk-rock album of the year as things stand. A definite vibe of Jawbreaker/Leatherface here, with riffs and progressions that wouldn't sound out of place in Kings Of Leon songs (strangely it was this album that made me finally twig what I didn't like about KOL, and I'm beginning to like them now that I've sorted my 'problem' with them out) and vocals straight out of the Billy Bragg playbook. Awesome, awesome album.

2. "Supporting Caste" by Propagandhi

HOLY MOTHERFUCKING BADASS!!! And that's an understatement.

3. "Time Insensitive Material" by Pulley

Only an EP, but man is this awesome pop-punk, exactly how pop-punk should be. Nothing cheesy, just some immensely catchy material. "Rattling Rust" and "Ghost Inside My Skin" are amazing.

4. "Small Town Stories" by A Death In The Family

Brilliant gruff vocalled, mid-tempo punk rock from Australia. Reminds me a lot of Hot Water Music and their ilk, somewhat similar to The Cut Ups mentioned before. Really solid album.

5. "Volume 2" by In The Red

I adore Mike Hale, the fact he'll have released 4 albums (2 acoustic solo, 2 as part of In The Red) in under a year and a half is an amazing feat, and the fact there's so much quality in them it's amazing. "Volume 1" while an alright album (with a couple of amazing tracks) wasn't a patch on his first solo album "Broken With No Hope", "Volume 2" is a massive step-up from In The Red's first album, and is tiding me over just fine until he releases his second solo release. The songs here have more of a grunge like vibe to the first album, which really fits with Hale's downtrodden vocal style; "Overlooked", "Something Shocking" and "First Evil Twin" are quality tracks.

BASTARD...how could I forget "Stay Home" EP by Transit? Fucking AMAZING!

0. "Stay Home" by Transit

Okay, this is probably my favourite punk-rock release of the year, it's just that I got hold of it so long ago that I forgot about it. Some absolutely stunning tracks, the title track is absolutely insane. I even love the acoustic/slower track towards the end. The Get Up Kids cover is brilliant too. 7-tracks of absolute punk rock bliss. Love it! They put an album out last year, it's solid, but definitely not as good as this.

There's been a bunch of solid albums, nothing particularly AMAZING outside of maybe the first two albums I mentioned. But there's still some great stuff due, like new Strung Out, A Wilhelm Scream, Strike Anywhere, No Trigger, Blakfish, Nothington, Polar Bear Club, Nations Afire, Pour Habit, Dead Swans, Rentokill (EP) etc, and stuff I can't remember, over the course of the year.

Edited by YI

Thanks man,I appreciate it.Have to check out this stuff :P Yeah I listen to a bunch of punk and oi stuff,but I'm pretty open minded when it comes to music. I listen to pretty much anything rock-related,as well as Industrial,some hip-hop as well as some other electronic stuff.But really I'm open for anything.Except maybe House and Techno.I can only listen to that when I'm drunk as fuck.

You have last.fm too YI? Would really look forward to add you as a buddy <_<

And I have to plug the Broilers here when we're talking about liking German bands. Easily my favorite band. They started out as an Oi-Band, but now play a kind of mixture of Punk/Ska/Rockabilly and even have some electronic influences.Really awesome.Only English song from them is "Woke up This Morning" which is a cover of the Sopranos theme. They're bringing out a new album as well as a Live-DVD this year,maybe someone would like to check them out :wub:

Edited by fr34k

Nope, don't have a last.fm sorry. I had one a while back (probably a couple of years by this point), but I've been through 2 computers and a system restore since that point, and can't even remember my username, let alone my password. :shifty:

And I've never really seen the need to make a new one.

My friend went to see Turner/Polar Bear/Gaslight the other week, and loved it. I asked if Frank did any Million Dead covers and he didn't have a clue who they were, let alone that turner was the lead singer. I know I'm a couple years older than him, but he should still know, surely?

Good god, new St. Vincent. Awesome. Everyone's on about this bullshit about musical progression, such as the justification why people were all LAY OFF THE CHRIS CORNELL because he was experimenting, but this is fucking musical progression. Much more fun and dramatic than Marry Me, and I loved Marry Me.

This. Takes everything that made Marry Me great and totally improves on it. Way too soon to call her the Kate Bush of our generation but she has the potential.