Contrarian musical opinions.

ROC

- The Stooges and New York Dolls did more for Punk Rock than Sex Pistols or The Clash. Don't get me wrong, I'm a massive fan of all four bands, but I really do think that The Dolls especially don't get enough credit for what they did for Punk Rock.

- Without Izzy Stradlin, Guns N' Roses would never have been worth a damn. Which is odd considering Use Your Illusion I is one of my favourite albums, but it sort of lost the phenomenal "Appetite" vibe when Izzy left. Steven Adler is also a better drummer than Matt Sorum will ever be.

- Rolling Stones are everything that The Beatles didn't have the balls to be.

- Metallica are very, very, very hit and miss. And they've had a thousand more misses than hits. Anything post-Black Album isn't worth two shits, and anything before is likely to be awful bar a few gems. Give me Megadeth's "Mechanix" over "The Four Horsemen" any day.

- Aerosmith are probably the greatest rock and roll band in history.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Death Cab For Cutie are seriously the ugliest fucking band (what shape is Ben Gibbard's head?)...I mean, they're so fucking ugly, they're the only band with a lot of 'teenage girl fans' where they aren't all "OH MY GOD!!! THEY'RE SO HOT!!!" that means...THEY'RE FUGLY!

Although....epic;

ben_gibbard.jpg

Cheers to Acey for that picture.

Edited by YI

I prefer the original to Lemmy's cover, but I can see why people would like the latter. What I can't see is why people would enjoy Lemmy doing the vocals on the "All-Star" cover version of The Trooper from Numbers From The Beast - there are songs on which his super-gravelly voice works, and there are songs on which it doesn't, at all, by any stretch of the imagination, and the Trooper is the latter. And while I'm on the subject, the Metallica/Megadeth pissing match is completely pointless because both bands sound the same and their later releases have been shit - Death Magnetic was alright, United Abominations ditto, but compared to the past they both stink. Also Mustaine is a godawful lyricist, he cannot write them for shit.

Also, Chinese Democracy was the best GNR album since Appetite for Destruction, Use Your Illusion II was much better than anybody gives them credit for, Boston are one of the best classic rock bands to ever play, Iron Maiden are THE greatest band to ever play and Stevie Nicks is the best female singer in years (albeit in the rock genre alone. I'm not getting into the Tina Turner/Celine Dion/etc debate).

And Axl Rose is a damn entertaining singer. Even if you don't like his music, the feuds he gets into are excellent.

I see your Stevie Nicks and raise you that chick from Heart, or Janis Joplin.

Good, but no Stevie. In both cases.

I like Ann Wilson well enough, but yeah, Be knows. Stevie > * except the likes of Tina and Aretha. And she'll even pass Tina by most of the time.

And Janis can OD and die. Oh, wait... :shifty: Screaming =/= singing, and when she did try to sing, she sounded like Elton John after a tracheotomy.

Am I the only one that really cannot stand Death Cab? (btw, I don't remember if I've brought this up on EWB before >_>) Their best song is easily "I Will Possess Your Heart", honestly because it's the one without Ben Gibbard lyrics for four minutes. It also ends up freaking me the fuck out while listening, because it's so OBVIOUSLY a stalker song that it's unreal, which destroys my enjoyment. I can't slag on other bands having shitty cheesy sentiment without slagging on Death Cab for doing the same. And I listened to Narrow Stairs and never got the double take moment (like I'm actually getting with new Animal Collective >_>), so I just think they're shit.

And also, Ben Gibbard is the ugliest man to be engaged to a Hollywood celebrity in quite some time. Honestly!

And also, Ben Gibbard is the ugliest man to be engaged to a Hollywood celebrity in quite some time. Honestly!

...and this is the first I found out about this...he's fucking Zooey Deschanel! :o HOW...HOW?!?! HOW THE FUCK!!?!?!?!! The man is my god.

And I LOVE Death Cab lyrically, "Company Calls Epilogue", nothing touches.

Edited by YI

Death Cab For Cutie are seriously the ugliest fucking band (what shape is Ben Gibbard's head?)...I mean, they're so fucking ugly, they're the only band with a lot of 'teenage girl fans' where they aren't all "OH MY GOD!!! THEY'RE SO HOT!!!" that means...THEY'RE FUGLY!

Although....epic;

ben_gibbard.jpg

Cheers to Acey for that picture.

I have been informed that Ben Gibbard isn't that ugly. He looks like my uncle actually.

Oh and about the him fucking Zooey Deschanel - Ryan Adams is ugly as fuck but he does have Mandy Moore. It's funny cause he's small and she's tall.

mandy-moore-ryan-adams-2-435x434.jpg

On the topic of RHCP, the only album I love by them is By The Way, the album where they show a funk influence... but it isn't horrifyingly off-putting featuring rapping from that cunt of a vocalist.

I don't get that, they're shat on for producing BTW because it doesn't sound like a complete train wreck with awesome songs being sandwiched between absolute pointless 13 year old humour. Stadium Arcadium and Mothers Milk are pretty much in the same group as BTW but they have one or two songs that don't work at all, but these two albums win for at least having two or more funk driven rock songs that are really listenable (Hump De Bump, So Much I, Good Time Boys, Higher Ground)

And I believe that the final two minutes of instrumentals in "Sir Psycho Sexy" is the best music they've ever done, what a shame the build up to it is such shit.

Ah Contrarian music opinions:

• Nofx is the best pop punk band of the past twenty years
  • The Darkness were awesome BECAUSE of their stupidly high pitched OTT singer being something we've not seen for ages in rock
  • Pink Floyd were always shit - and have created half their following by listening to the same thing over and over again until it clicks for them
  • the Manic Street Preachers were better than Oasis, Blur and Pulp for being able to put out consistently brilliant music for a much longer period of time.
  • The Foo Fighters are a one hit wonder band, and no-one else realises this
  • Jeff Buckley was never that good and would just be the Jason Mraz or something of today if he was still around.

NOFX are a band I have NEVER been able to get away with, sans for "The Decline". As a 'funny' band, I didn't find them musically exciting. As a 'serious' band their lyrics are cringeworthy at best and near incomprehensible at worst.

I'm not sure what this thread really is any more, but here are my opinions of things people have brought up, and whatever else I was reminded of at the time...

SLF should most definitely be mentioned in the same breath as the Clash and Sex Pistols. They're fucking amazing.

Kinks fucking rule. I own a whole bunch of Kinks shit and like one Beatles album.

Enter Sandman is epic by both Motorhead and Metallica. I couldn't pick a favourite.

Chinese Democracy is the second best Guns N Roses album behind Appetite, then it's a long road to number three and I don't even care what that is because the rest of them aren't very good.

People keep saying Slashslashslashslashslash whatever, but to be honest Slash's Snakepit sucked and so did Velvet Revolver

Megadeth are far superior to Metallica. And United Abominations is easily almost as good as whatever you think Megadeths best album is. System has Failed was also amazing and I don't get the hate for it.

Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Foo Fighters are boring.

The best thing Green Day ever did was Cover Teenagers From Mars as The Network

Umm other things I've argued with friends about...

House of Pain were fucking quality and they deserve to be remembered for more than just Jump Around.

The three distillers albums go from best to worst in order of chronology, most certainly not the other way round

Uhm, other stuff.

As in bands, or I just talk epic proportions of shit?

And I'll send Foo Fighters being the dullest fucking band ever. "My Hero" is the only song they've done that I can listen to. Even when drunk, where terrible/dull songs become awesome (Green Day/Nickelback, that isn't "Rockstar", that suffers from the 'still being dull as fuck' thing) for a singalong, Foo Fighters songs are still dull as fuck.

Edited by YI