Contrarian musical opinions.

ROC

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Core suffix would mean that the band is hardcore punk not metal.

Normally, but not always seemingly. I've always heard it being used for bands which are basically metal, with the odd hardcore element and the weird time signatures associated with math bands. Metalcore seemed to be one of the first big 'core' genres after hardcore, which it is derivated from obviously, so it seems to have passed as much into 'core' seemingly being shorthand for some of the elements from metalcore (the hodgepodge of hardcore punk and metal, simply put) as much as anything else. Thats why you get bands like Job For A Cowboy called 'deathcore' by some people, although that may be more disparaging, since a lot of people like to disparage against metalcore and its ilk.

But yeah, you are pretty much spot on.

Edited by rvdwannabe

Metallica.

It feels to me that nowadays, with Death Magnetic, Metallica are doing the kind of stuff they think the diehard fans want them to do, which is not necessarily the same as what they themselves really want to do. I think it sucks. And what also sucks, is that the period when I think Metallica's music was at its most honest and perhaps most rocking, is that of Load and ReLoad. These two much-scorned 90's Metallica albums are, for my money, fucking awesome. No, they're definitely not thrash metal, but as hard rock albums go, they're full of win.

During the Load/ReLoad era, following the insanely successful series of world tours promoting The Black Album, the band had reached the point where they could do what the fuck they ever wanted, and it would sell like Jesus. So, they did what nobody would've thought they'd do, and made two glorious albums filled with bluesy, rootsy, country-tinged hard rock. Granted, that might not be exactly what the 80's diehard headbangers wanted, but FUCK THEM. For my money, Load and ReLoad sound like they're done by people who are doing just the kind of music they like, and not giving a damn what anybody thinks. And I love them to death.

Cheers sir! I get ripped on a lot for thinking that both of those albums are where Metallica's best stuff came from. Both would make my top ten best albums from me as their really isn't anything bad on any of those albums. I mean come on, Load had Ain't My Bitch, 2 x 4, Until It Sleeps, King Nothing, Hero of the Day, Bleeding Me (Has to be one of my favorite Metallica songs ever), and Outlaw Torn. Everything else on that album is icing on that fuckin' delicious cake. And the ReLoad comes and gives us a second, even more delicious cake with Fuel, The Memory Remains, The Unforgiven II, Better Than You, Prince Charming, Where the Wild Things Are, and Fixxxer all thrown on top with some other incredible awesome songs mixed in as well.

My favourite Beatle is Ringo Starr. Mostly cos he just seems to be the most laid back and the Beatle who would be the least annoying to go for a (non alcoholic) drink with down the local pub...And he's nearly 70!

Ringo is the best, not only does he seem to be the nicest out of the bunch that would gladly go out for some drinks with you to talk about some stuff, but he was fuckin' Mr. Conductor on Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends, a show I grew up on and he has to be hands down, the best narrator I have ever heard in my life.

[/endrant]

Ringo is the best, not only does he seem to be the nicest out of the bunch that would gladly go out for some drinks with you to talk about some stuff, but he was fuckin' Mr. Conductor on Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends, a show I grew up on and he has to be hands down, the best narrator I have ever heard in my life.

[/endrant]

Boo to you for besmirching the memory of George Carlin, sir. Boo to you.