Two tv legends deceased

GhostMachine

Ricardo Montalban dies at 88 in LA

By BOB THOMAS, Associated Press Writer

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

(01-14) 14:01 PST LOS ANGELES, (AP) --

Ricardo Montalban, the Mexican-born actor who became a star in splashy MGM musicals and later as the wish-fulfilling Mr. Roarke in TV's "Fantasy Island," died Wednesday morning at his home, a city councilman said. He was 88.

Montalban's death was announced at a City Council meeting by its president, Eric Garcetti, who represents the district where the actor lived. Garcetti did not give a cause of death.

"What you saw on the screen and on television and on talk shows, this very courtly, modest, dignified individual, that's exactly who he was," said Montalban's longtime friend and publicist David Brokaw.

Montalban had been a star in Mexican movies when MGM brought him to Hollywood in 1946. He was cast in the leading role opposite Esther Williams in "Fiesta," and starred again with the swimming beauty in "On an Island with You" and "Neptune's Daughter."

But Montalban was best known as the faintly mysterious, white-suited Mr. Roarke, who presided over a tropical island resort where visitors were able to fulfill their lifelong dreams — usually at the unexpected expense of a difficult life lesson. Following a floatplane landing and lei ceremony, he greeted each guest with the line: "I am Mr. Roarke, your host. Welcome to Fantasy Island."

'Prisoner' actor Patrick McGoohan dies in LA

By ANDREW DALTON, Associated Press Writer

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

(01-14) 10:37 PST LOS ANGELES, (AP) --

Patrick McGoohan, the Emmy-winning actor who created and starred in the cult classic television show "The Prisoner," has died. He was 80.

McGoohan died Tuesday in Los Angeles after a short illness, his son-in-law, film producer Cleve Landsberg, said.

McGoohan won two Emmys for his work on the Peter Falk detective drama "Columbo," and more recently appeared as King Edward Longshanks in the 1995 Mel Gibson film "Braveheart."

But he was most famous as the character known only as Number Six in "The Prisoner," a sci-fi tinged 1960s British series in which a former spy is held captive in a small enclave known only as The Village, where a mysterious authority named Number One constantly prevents his escape.

+++++++++++++++++

R.I.P. Both of them. :(

I'd also like to add that Patrick McGoohan was the villain in one of my favorite episodes of Columbo and I'm surprised the article didn't mention him playing Dr. Syn.

And I can't help but wonder if Ricardo Montalban's coffin will be lined with fine Corinthian leather.....

(Don't get the joke, go ask your parents or grandparents)

Edited by GhostMachine

Fuuuuuck, Ricardo Montalban's death breaks my heart. Not just because he was Khan, but also because he was one of the bright spots of Kim Possible as Senor Senior Sr. (... shut up, okay. He and Jr. were awesome villains, like The Tick Rogues Gallery-caliber awesome).

And I can't help but wonder if Ricardo Montalban's coffin will be lined with fine Corinthian leather.....

(Don't get the joke, go ask your parents or grandparents)

Damn...I was so going to bring a similar joke. But wasn't it "RICH Corinthian leather"?

I knew Montalban had to be old as hell by now, but still sad to see the news. Like a lot of other people, to me, he'll always be Khan Noonian Singh, intergalactic bad-ass.