Alex Rodriguez admits to steroid use

sahyder1

Steroids  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Does this tarnish his legacy in your eyes?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. I asked in the other thread.....How should the BBWA handle the steroid era?

• Vote them in based on stats
    • Steroid users must apologize first
    • Should go into the HOF but not first ballot
    • Don't vote for anyone from steroid era

Er, McGwire retired BEFORE the "mitchell report" and was out of the game before the testing.

Yes but in 1998 it was known he was taking stuff. The congressional hearings where he made a fool of himself were before the Mitchell Report.

Guys from the Rangers 2001-2003 that were mentioned in the Mitchell Report:

Rafael Palmeiro

Ken Caminiti

Randy Velarde

John Rocker

Ismael Valdez

Mike Judd

Might have missed a couple

Jayson Stark wrote a good piece for ESPN.com today

I'm willing to bet right now that Alex Rodriguez will join that Cooperstown missing-persons list -- no matter how many home runs he hits, no matter how he chooses to spin Selena Roberts and David Epstein's impeccably reported story on SI.com.

So if that's true, think of where this sport almost certainly will find itself 15 years from now:

The all-time hits leader (Mr. Peter E. Rose) won't be in the Hall of Fame.

The all-time home run leader (assuming that's where A-Rod's highway leads him) won't be in the Hall of Fame.

The man who broke Hank Aaron's career record (Barry Bonds) won't be in the Hall.

The man who broke Roger Maris' single-season record (Mark McGwire) won't be in the Hall.

The man who was once the winningest right-handed pitcher of the live-ball era (Roger Clemens) won't be in the Hall.

The man with the most 60-homer seasons in baseball history (Sammy Sosa) doesn't look like he's headed for the Hall, either.

And who knows who's next? Who knows what other names are lurking on that list of seized urine samples? Who knows whose career and reputation will be fed through the shredder in the next big scoop? And the next? And the next?

I keep reading those previous seven paragraphs, trying my best to fully comprehend them. I'm not really succeeding.

Edited by sahyder1

At least A-Rod didn't try to deny it like Rafael Palmeiro and others have done in the past. But it doesn't change a thing, he cheated.

Also, if it comes out that Jeter used steroids I will laugh harder than anyone has laughed before. All of EWB will hear my laughter.

Edited by damshow

He only admitted to it after it was basically proven to be true. There's more evidence he did steroids than there is against Bonds. Denying it would have been monumentally retarded.

I wonder if a few more Yankees from that era get outted as user, will they take away the titles?

I just want one of the main guys from the Yankee run to come out on one of these lists. I am getting sick and tired of moronic Yankee fans who call sports radio here bashing the Mitchell report because Mitchell has a small ownership stake in the Red Sox

Edit: Tony Kornheiser is awesome. Talking about A-Rod and steroids....."he should have taken the good kind....you know the kind that help you get a hit after the 7th inning.

Edited by sahyder1

I just want one of the main guys from the Yankee run to come out on one of these lists. I am getting sick and tired of moronic Yankee fans who call sports radio here bashing the Mitchell report because Mitchell has a small ownership stake in the Red Sox

"C'mon Mike, I can't believe yer wastin' your breath on dis. Dis is all a conspiracy! How come nun-a-duh Sawx ever come up dirty eh? You tryna tell me dat Big Papi and Manny wasn't roidin' up when they won them titles a coupla years ago? And what about dat Youkilis guy, you seen duh size a' his head Mike? C'mon Mike, it's just a buncha people tryna bring da Yankees down 'cause their team ain't won 26 championships like us. Until I see one of dem failed tests personally, I ain't buyin' it, except for Bonds 'cause he was CLEARLY on da juice. And what about duh Mets? You tryna tell me that Piazza wasn't on the juice? You ever seen anudda catcher hit a ball dat far Mike? C'mon! That's why Clemens hit him, 'cause he knew dat Piazza was dirty and wanted him to come out and tell the truth, get it, "come out"! I know you got da break coming up soon Mike, but don't lissen to dis crap. I'll call ya tomorrow eh."

:shifty:

So wait Maxx, you'd like him to admit the use without anything persuading him to say that he did?

Now, that's fine and dandy and in an ideal world that would be great, I suppose but what athlete is going to willingly admit cheating like taking steroids without any reason persuading him to do so?

You're being naive because there's no way a superstar athlete is going to admit wrong-doing without being pressured into it. I dislike A-Rod as much as anybody else but be realistic.

Edited by Johnny Quid

I think the problem with people like Clemens, Bonds, A-Rod, Marion Jones etc is the adamant denials for years, and then the "Oops, my bad. I was young and naive. I'm sorry. *tear* Even though I've been lying since the millenium began, you've got to believe that I'm telling the truth now. Please forgive me!" crap that some of them pull after the fact.

I think the problem with people like Clemens, Bonds, A-Rod, Marion Jones etc is the adamant denials for years, and then the "Oops, my bad. I was young and naive. I'm sorry. *tear* Even though I've been lying since the millenium began, you've got to believe that I'm telling the truth now. Please forgive me!" crap that some of them pull after the fact.

Along those lines....I find it intriguing that he supposedly stopped using it when he came to the Yankees. He didn't feel the pressure to perform there?

Mike is talking about who is the guy left out there right now that would shake up the baseball universe? To me the answer is easily Griffey.

Along those lines....I find it intriguing that he supposedly stopped using it when he came to the Yankees. He didn't feel the pressure to perform there?

Mike is talking about who is the guy left out there right now that would shake up the baseball universe? To me the answer is easily Griffey.

He would probably pull a muscle trying to insert the needle.

But, naiwf, how could he be honest with America when he wasn't being honest with himself?

*Cue the violins*

>_>

:crying:

Poor A-Rod. What a burden that must have been to carry with him as he struggled to get by on about $23 million/year.

:crying:

Aside from Griffey, I'd say that any of the following would be another gonad punch to baseball - Glavine, Randy Johnson, Maddux, or Pedro.

Edited by naiwf

Other then Griffey the one guy that would bother me is Pedro. To the list Naiwf posted you gotta add Schilling and Smoltz.

Edit: A-Rod accusing Selena Roberts of trying to break into his house. I gotta get this book coming out in May.

Edited by sahyder1

Smoltz would be bad, but IMO he's not a legendary name like the others and he won't be a 300 game winner. Personally, I'd like for Schilling to have tested dirty simply so he could STFU and go away. While I'm on that next group of players after the immortals who are clean (for now), Big Papi, Vlad Guerrero, Ryan Howard, Ichiro, Mike Mussina, Manny Ramirez, Frank Thomas and Jim Thome probably wouldn't be good names to see either because they contended for or won MVP's and/or have legitimate shots at the HOF mainly because we assume that they're clean.

Edited by naiwf

A-Rod not coming across well here. There has to be something else going on here....he's going after Selena Roberts pretty hard and both Selena Roberts and SI just issued a statement saying they are sticking by how they handled this as well as denying A-Rod's accusations.

He only admitted to it after it was basically proven to be true. There's more evidence he did steroids than there is against Bonds. Denying it would have been monumentally retarded.

I wonder if a few more Yankees from that era get outted as user, will they take away the titles?

Yanks haven't won a title since before A-Rod joined them. (Y)