Final Fantasy Play-Along

Benji

Yeah, I was considering it but as far as I'm aware DS Emulators are in the really early stages still, but ah well, there's loads of non-numbered games I can enjoy while you're all playing that.

Maybe I'll finally get around to beating Legend of Dragoon instead of stopping on the second disk. ¬_¬

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I fucking hate Cockatrice's and their ability to turn my thief to stone, and therefore put him nearly an entire level behind. Ugh. I'm off to go get a class change.

Wait until you run into the Madusa's.

Annoyed me so much I bought 99 Gold Needles before going to final dungeon. <_<

Well, better late than never, I suppose. I seriously doubt I'll be able to finish by the end of the month, though. Let's see how far I get, though.

Fghtr: lvl. 3

Thief: lvl. 3

W Mage: lvl 3

Blk Mg: lvl 3

Just beat Garland for the first time, and I gotta say the difference between the forests and plains surrounding his fort and the inside of it is kind of jarring. So is the land mass just north of the bridge. I got my butt kicked by three Crazy Horses and immediately limped my back home to the inn.

Edit: So used to the [sblock] command from other forums...

Edited by whiskers

Made it to the Elven village today, and I'm leveling up right next to it. All characters at level 8 so far, but we've had some deaths. Thief and White Mage were downed in seperate battles nearing the March cave, causing me to retreat back. Right now, Thief is about 200 XP behind Fighter and Black Mage (who have yet to fall) and White Mage is about 250.

I've bought Fire2 and Bolt2 in the Elf village, and they are really effective at this point.

I've also downloaded a world map, so I don't get lost. Too bad I need to buy a USB hub so I can hook up my printer.

By the way, what's everybody playing this on? I'm using a PS2 and FF Origins.

GBA emulator (FFI & II: Dawn of Souls).

I was at about Lv12 when I first sailed across the sea towards the Elven place... Then I was like "argh, fuck these prices" and went to play some Pokemon Blue instead. :shifty:

Level grinding I'm fine with. Gil grinding annoys the fuck out of me. I'm not sure why.

I too was around lvl. 11/12 when I got to Elfheim. I found it made any battles, boss or otherwise rather easy.

Im on the PS2 with FF Origins, its weird noticing differences to people using the NES version. Name differences such as 'Elf Town' and 'Elfheim' or the spells where I have 'Fire1' and 'Fire2' others may have 'Fire' and 'Fira'

The main difference I noticed from the GBA after my brief foray into the NES version was that I wasn't getting slaughtered. :shifty: I don't know whether I just had a really bad start and learned quickly, but the difference in difficulty seemed quite pronounced.

I pretty much have to gil grind, as I'm trying to buy all these lvl 3 and 4 spells, as well as weapons and healing items.

And I agree with you, stokerino, the prices in Elfheim are outrageous. Then again, most RPGs suffer the same problem when it comes to pricing. Especially with the inns.

Here's that map for you all, if you don't already have one.

I pretty much have to gil grind, as I'm trying to buy all these lvl 3 and 4 spells, as well as weapons and healing items.

And I agree with you, stokerino, the prices in Elfheim are outrageous. Then again, most RPGs suffer the same problem when it comes to pricing. Especially with the inns.

Here's that map for you all, if you don't already have one.

Agreed, I love to grind for gil too.

It makes me feel better about my lack of real money. :)

Yeah, it's brutal there...just don't go into the Hall of Gigas (to the left of the first area you enter) if you are hating the random encounters. But it is great for experience and gil grinding, as you get a good amount of both from each battle.

Day three for me, and here we are with my update for the night. I probably won't play again until tommorrow now.

Will (Warrior) Level 19

Pietro (Thief) Level 19

Lucas (White Mage) Level 19

Victor (Black Mage) Level 19

Time: 14:10

Gil: 32690

So Im at Crescent lake and I just got the canoe, not been anywhere with it yet. I did have around double to Gil above, but I've just bought all the new armour available as well as a couple of black level 6 spells (Bolt3 and Quake). My white mage cannot seem to learn any yet though. My general feeling at the moment is that I must be quite above the recommended level (if there was one) as I found the Vampire (killed it with a physical hit each from my Warrior and Theif) and the Lich to be mega easy. Lich only took a few rounds of Fire3 and it didn't deal me hardly any damage. Still enjoying it mind you, can't wait to finish this classic.

Things to Do Upon Next Playing

Go exploring with my Canoe

Ice crystal

Fire crystal

Air crystal

Find the mystic key

Get my first crystal

Get Cure2

Reach Lv. 10 before entering cave

Collect rest of treasure with key

Find somethings to give to the dwarves I found

Seeing as most people have either beat the game or have made a fair bit of progress, anyone else vote that we move the FFII start date up to March 1st? As far as I can tell everyones atleast 1/4 through the game and it only takes like... 20ish hours total to beat FFI. I know it's only like 9 days forward, but I really doubt anyone wouldn't have beaten the game by then. Unless they're playing like... an hour per week or something silly like that.