Final Fantasy Play-Along

Benji

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuck...can I still try and beat I after I'm done all these essays?

Of course, anyone can play anything at any time, this is just so we're mostly on the same playing field for discussion, I didn't expect much from FF1 anyway because it's very basic, the stories and characters don't develop until II anyway.

Why? What's wrong with the leveling system?

In the translated NES version, to boost your HP, I had to purposely put myself near death. I'm not a fan of purposely putting myself at risk to increase my hit points. I much prefer the normal way of gaining experience points and gaining levels. That, and I never really figured out the perfect way to keep a balance between attacking strength and magical power.

I'll play it again, but I never really liked this one. Can't wait for Final Fantasy III though, loved that one :D

Edited by Magus978

Aye! Thank heavens for that, means I have something to do inbetween episodes of Bones and learning lines. :)

I'll be starting my game once I finish this darn essay. :x I'm interested to find out what this leveling system is all about, though I don't like the sound of it from what Magus has said.

I don't get the stat level hate, it makes sense to me, admitedly it's nowhere near perfect, but it's unique and has its advantages as it plays the game to your strengths. The whole Ask system however is a tad retarded, it's a great point and click concept that's not even slightly used well in the game.

post-435-1235421953.png

Once again, credit to the TKizzle.

Edited by Benjirino~!

Ok, after a few battles, I am not minding the stat building....but.....my main magic user has the least amount of MP! Just about to leave the town you come out of, everyone has cure and a spell (first dude is blizzard, girl has fire, Guy has thunder...all leveled up to level 2)

Edit: Can someone explain the inn pricing to me? In the first town it was 12...then when I decided to rest before moving on...BAM! 52! I figured it went up as I got better....but next place I visit, it's at 10 :/

Edited by Ruki The Treasure Hunter

FFII STATUS UPDATE #1

2ceqnnc.png

I'm not huge on the leveling system, but only because a) My MP is barley raising and b) Neither are my spells. I'm not really one for using spells other than boss fights and to clear out large numbers of enemies quickly (so, Firaga etc.) so the fact I have to use them repeatedly in random battles to "Level Up" is kind of lame. I'm enjoying having the main characters speak this game and the story seems simple yet fun. Obviously the step up from FFI. I've just gotten the Canoe and my fourth party member, everyone has got all the spells avaliable at the moment and the top armour I could get. I've had Maria become a spear user instead of a bow user, because it just seems simpler. Since the leveling system make this tactic easy, I'll be making everyone an equel on my run through, so no Mage/Fighter stuff, everyone will be good at everything. >_>

Also, the ASK/LEARN/ITEM thing is OKAY, but... eh, it seems a little pointless and leaves me with a feeling off "Did I get everything I needed to know from that?" which I don't like.

finalfantasy12dawnofsou.png
w240.png

Couldn't put a dent into the boss battle for the Mythril...so I'm backtracking to build up magic points. It's obviously not going as well as I want it. I want Maria to have around 25-30 MP by the time I go back to the Waterfall Cave.

w240.png

Couldn't put a dent into the boss battle for the Mythril...so I'm backtracking to build up magic points. It's obviously not going as well as I want it. I want Maria to have around 25-30 MP by the time I go back to the Waterfall Cave.

Get Blizzard up to Level 2 and have everyone hit him with that, whilst Minwu casts protect on your entire party. Fire & Physical attack are useless, but Thunder does decent damage. I killed him in 3 turns, so it shouldn't be that hard.

EDIT: Also, I wouldn't worry about raising your MP. Just raise your actual MAGIC stat and the level of your magic (both of which get raised by using the Black Magic spells in battle) I've pwned him and every other battle thus far and I've still only got like... 15 mp at most.

EDIT 2: Also, Ruki, if you still haven't figured out where to go, you have to reach the back of the town, go like... one step past the exit and stick close to the walls, walking RIGHT around it and following the wall to a Pub. Inside said pub, you talk to the bloke at the back who'll show you a secret passageway.

Edited by TKzon Kidd

w240.png

I did some Gil grinding after Minwu left the party, and went towards Mysidia. I was fortunate to run into beatable monsters along the way and I was able to upgrade my equipment significantly. I've gone ahead and completed several other major things, including destroying the Dreadnought. Now Leila the Pirate Lady joins me and we're ready to head for the land of the Dragoons...but not before I sail around and do some attribute-grinding.
Edited by Magus978

FFII STATUS UPDATE #2

24oo7ck.png

Fuck me, I'm really not enjoying this leveling system anymore. I use stupid amounts of magic in battle but I swear the only thing that levels up is the magic level, which isn't helpful with such low MP and low MAGIC stat. My HP has been shooting up though, which is nice and I think STR is pretty good. I just did the dungeon where you needed to get the Sunfire thing, and jesus... not cool. I got all the way through and ended up using all of my MP and Potions, so once I beat the boss it took me about 6-7 attempts to just get out of the dungeon with such low HP, which was annoying as hell. I'm off to the Dreadnought next, but I'm considering grinding like hell until I've got like... 1200 HP and atleast 60-70 MP for Firion and Guy.

Edited by TKzon Kidd

Yeah, Maria's my resident Mage as well. She's up to Fire 2, but has low HP due to the monsters deciding to try and take out either Guy or Firion instead. I'm right at the entrance to the slave camp, but I'm gonna have to fall back to town, because I am out of MP... Hell, probably should journey all the way back to the starting point to buy a spell other than Fire.

Edit: Stormed the slave mines and enacted a terrific rescue last night. Beat up the commanding sergeant and then made off with the mithral. Sadly, I only had enough money to buy Firion a sword when all was said and done. Now, where the hell do I go to burn down that new airship prototype...

Edited by whiskers