Dollhouse

zero

• 2 weeks later...

I just fınıshed the show, and I really, really enjoyed ıt. I loved the fınale and I got the lıttle references. In the fınale they mentıoned fıreflıes, and Alpha's fırst vıctım's last name was Walsh. I thought that was pretty awesome. I love Topher, he's probably my favourıte character - he's qualıty. Im so glad that the show got renewed. I thınk ıt has a lot of potentıal and I enjoyed near all twelve epısodes. A great new serıes, ın my opınıon.

Also, I was really ımpressed wıth Alan Tudyk as Alpha. I dıdn't know he had that ın hım!

I couldn't believe what a great actor Steve the Pirate from Dodgeball is.

I had a weird feeling that Ballard was Alpha for a while and that the house was watching him.

Well done season finale, I can't wait for Season 2! Maybe they can find a better night for it.

Yeah, the real brilliance of the Alan Tudyk casting too is that Joss cast an actor that his fanbase would be familiar with and cast him in a role that one would expect Alan Tudyk to be cast in (wacky comic relief wisecrack-y guy) and then completely turned everything on its head. Both Tudyk and Amy Acker really proved why it was worth casting them even if Whedon's used them extensively in the past with their performances.

• 2 months later...

So, the un-aired 13th episode leaked on the internet recently (or it was just released in general, I'm not sure).

Surprisingly awesome, I think I cared more for this episode than any other in the series. I think I'd much rather watch a show starring Felicia Day and whoever the wisecracking guy was surviving the Robot/Doll Apocalypse than I would the regular show. >_> Really went to show me just how much I didn't care for any of the characters in the show apart from Topher and Echo/Caroline. (and even then, that was depending on the episode and her character)

I'd like to hope that they go this route in the second series, but obviously they won't. Ah well.

Haven't watched the episode yet but I did read that Felicia Day's character is going to appear in the second season so you'll get part of your wish.

Also my order of Dollhouse character awesome is DeWitt > Topher > everyone else. Every show is made better by a magnificent bastard who happens to be Very British.

Character awesome for me?

Topher > November > everyone else

until November left the Dollhouse at the end of the season...I liked her :(

I'd like to hope that they go this route in the second series, but obviously they won't. Ah well.

They will. Whedoon said Fox gave him more power after they saw that the stuff that he did like he wanted to got a better reception. He also anounced that Episode 13 is real and part of the Mythologie, there will be "flash forwards" to this time in season 2. It´s a game changer and he will take care of the fact that only DVD buyers have seen episode 13.

They will. Whedoon said Fox gave him more power after they saw that the stuff that he did like he wanted to got a better reception. He also anounced that Episode 13 is real and part of the Mythologie, there will be "flash forwards" to this time in season 2. It´s a game changer and he will take care of the fact that only DVD buyers have seen episode 13.

Episode 13 is now available for download on iTunes and somewhere else. Also it will be released on Hulu at some point.

I didn't watch the show on first run, but I did buy the DVD and devoured it in a few days. I love Dollhouse, but it might work better in two or three sittings vs. watching it over the course of 13 or so weeks.

• 1 month later...

Second season started last night, and such is the nature of its promotion or lack thereof that I didn't know about it until twenty minutes before it started thanks to Twitter. But the episode was pretty good, especially the big scene with Topher and Saunders. Amy Acker is such an amazing actress, and Fran Kranz did his best work in this one.

• 2 weeks later...

I got this AICN who got it from James Hibbard:

Fox scheduling chief Preston Beckman tells The Hollywood Reporter’s James Hibberd that all 13 second-season episodes of “Dollhouse” ordered will be aired despite the show’s far-from-spectacular ratings in the network’s Friday Death Slot:

"We're going to run all the episodes. We're not saying we're happy with those numbers, or accept them, but we don't have to overreact. During [November] sweeps we might have to jack up the numbers a little [with other programming], but we plan on completing the order for this show."

“Firefly,” a previous Joss Whedon series aired in Fox’s Friday Death Slot, was yanked early. The network never aired the spaceship series’ final three completed episodes.

“Dollhouse” ratings saw an 11% rise Friday, and new data released today indicates the series’ second-season premiere got a huge 50% DVR boost. Still, Fox Friday shows have notoriously short lifespans and a 14th second-season episode feels like a longshot.

Whedon offers confirmation of Fox's commitment in Hibberd’s story:

"We'll definitely have closure, but will leave some doors open," said Whedon, who's currently shooting the eighth episode. "When we got our first numbers, which were bad, the first thing [Fox president of entertainment] Kevin Reilly said was, 'You'll have all 13,' which was great. They're not going to pull the rug out from under us."

• 5 weeks later...

Dollhouse has been canceled. Only surprise there is that this didn't happen a year ago.

Full story

"Dollhouse" is closing its doors at Fox.

The network has canceled Joss Whedon's cult fave, which in May beat the odds with a second-season pickup despite low ratings.

The sci-fi series, which is filming episode 11, is expected to finish its 13-episode order. Whedon is said to be on board and plans to give the show a proper ending with a big finale.

After some dismal performance in the fall, despite the ratings bumps "Dollhouse" got from DVR viewing, Fox benched the show for the November sweep after four episodes.

Fox plans to air all produced episodes of "Dollhouse," which will return with originals Dec. 4 as planned.

"Dollhouse" stars Eliza Dushku as a DNA-altered woman who gets implanted false memories for various missions and tasks.

Fox already has picked up breakout freshman dramedy "Glee" for a full season, while sophomore drama "Lie to Me" is waiting for an episodic order after receiving an order for three additional scripts last month. Freshman comedy "Brothers" is also still awaiting its fate, but its chances don't look good.

Joss... just say no to Fox.

• Like 1

Not surprising at all, apart from the Alan Tudyk episodes last season, this series has been a huge let down (at least for me) as a Whedon fan. I get that Joss wanted to try something a little different, but when you take away his quirky characters and the jokey side of his shows, then there isn't much left. Dollhouse suffered from being a Joss Whedon show without any of his style characters or stories.

Hopefully when he next does a series (if he does do another one after the films he's doing), it'll be a lot more his style, because that's pretty much the reason the man has such a following. Dollhouse always felt a lot like a dollhouse itself, empty. Hopefully this'll shake some of the blind faith some of his fans have and he'll in turn have to take it up a few notches for his future projects, because this just didn't feel like something Joss himself was too involved in.

Ah well, thank god this get's that skanky Sierra off of television for the time being anyway. >_> She looks like a gerbil that's just gone 5 minutes with Brock Lesnar.

Also I hope if we all take anything away from this experience, it's that Eliza Dushku should never be given the lead role on a television series. Ever. I love her to bits, but she really shouldn't be the main focus of a TV show.

I will be the dissenting opinion and say that after the first half of the first series Dollhouse had mostly really hit its stride and become a really fascinating show, albeit with the occasional weak episode (god, that episode where Echo is a crazy overprotective mother or something). It's still my least favorite Whedon series but that's like being my least favorite album by the pillows.

That being said, the fact that it even got a second season was miraculous. And I really hope Enver... Enver Gjokac... Gnokaj... um. The guy who plays Victor gets some high profile acting gigs after this, dude showed serious range.

I feel like the show just never really worked as a show. There were flashes of brilliance, but I think this is something that really would've been better off in just about any other medium (film, comic, animated DVD series) because there were WAY too many filler episodes. I dunno if that was a Joss call or a Fox call, but it really hurt the series.

See, I don't think there were a lot of filler episodes after a certain point, that's not really what they were doing. Most of the episodes after Man on the Street seemingly started innocuously but by the end some decent reveal or storyline progression had been made. Take the episode the other month with the creepy guy obsessed with dolls and kidnapping women and making them act out his fantasies; the subplot with Echo and the skeezy professor who hired her out to fulfill some sort of fucked up teacher/student romance fantasy seemed like time-wasting bullshit up until the idea of the dolls being able to be put back into blank slate mode and how that can go horribly, horribly wrong was brought in and suddenly it all made sense.

The problem, in a nutshell, is more that Dollhouse had a bad tendency to disguise things as filler until the third act and that can throw the viewer off.

Personally, while I liked the show, I think Dushku was the wrong person for the lead. She doesn't have the acting range to portray the type of characte3r that has to be something different every week. I think the horrid "psych mother" episode was an attempt to get her to show a bigger range, and it just failed miserably