Research: Violent games cause ignorance to suffering

Herr Matzat

A just-released research report claims that playing violent video games makes players “comfortably numb” to the pain and suffering of others. The study, conducted by University of Michigan professor Brad Bushman and Iowa State University professor Craig Anderson, appears in the March 2009 issue of Psychological Science. Both Bushman and Anderson have previously published research with negative findings about violent games. A press release describes the research methodology employed in the new report: 320 college students played either a violent or a nonviolent video game for approximately 20 minutes. A few minutes later, they overheard a staged fight that ended with the “victim” sustaining a sprained ankle and groaning in pain.

People who had played a violent game took significantly longer to help the victim than those who played a nonviolent game—73 seconds compared to 16 seconds. People who had played a violent game were also less likely to notice and report the fight. And if they did report it, they judged it to be less serious than did those who had played a nonviolent game. In the second study, the participants were 162 adult moviegoers. The researchers staged a minor emergency outside the theater… The researchers timed how long it took moviegoers to [help]… Participants who had just watched a violent movie took over 26 percent longer to help than either people going into the theater or people who had just watched a nonviolent movie.

Source: GamePolitics

What I don't like is that fact that they (the media, not just this article) seem to be focused on burying games, when it shows that films can have exactly the same effect, but in the opening line it mentions "violent video games", not "violent video games and films".

BUt yeah, at least it does seem fairer than a lot of other articles. I remember seeing that one from the Daily Mail or The Times or whateve with that MP reviewing games, one of them the Scarface game, complaining about being able to chainsaw people up and the drugs and the swearing... what the fuck do you expect from a game based on Scarface? A blue hedehog who runs fast and collects rings in a nice happy colourful world? Though then again, she'd probaly say that Sonic is stealing the rings...

I kinda went off the point there >_<

What I don't like is that fact that they (the media, not just this article) seem to be focused on burying games, when it shows that films can have exactly the same effect, but in the opening line it mentions "violent video games", not "violent video games and films".

BUt yeah, at least it does seem fairer than a lot of other articles. I remember seeing that one from the Daily Mail or The Times or whateve with that MP reviewing games, one of them the Scarface game, complaining about being able to chainsaw people up and the drugs and the swearing... what the fuck do you expect from a game based on Scarface? A blue hedehog who runs fast and collects rings in a nice happy colourful world? Though then again, she'd probaly say that Sonic is stealing the rings...

I kinda went off the point there >_<

You did, but you did it gloriously.

I guss that is just a problem of todays adults. The big guys of today have not been growing up with this kind of game or the possibilety of playing digitaly at all. In gennerel it will pass... just like it did with a lot of movies that werrent over the top and before that with books. (decades ago it was actualy considered bad for your eyes to read and you were suposed to go and play outside instead...)

In a decade or two yu´ll play and whatch movies in a full 3d enviorment all the time, everthing will be lots more realistic, maybe even enough to not even have us be able from seing the difference... we will be old... we will be frightend by some of the possibiletys while the newest genenration will just eat it up and love it.

But that dos not change the interesting (yet, wen you think about it actualy pritty logical) outcome of this study. I wonder how it compares to a brutal book.. if it is in what happens mentaly or in how our reflexes adjust towards the alarming sounds and sights.

Sorry but I don't see the connection. Just because figures indicate something doesn't make it so.

Perhaps those who understand violence took longer to respond because they know how serious a threat it could be to themselves to get in the middle of it.

Perhaps people who go to violent movies are the same type of people who would take longer to respond (be less decisive), rathe than the movie itself being the issue.

Certainly 20 minutes of gaming or one movie are unlikely to unduly influence anyone I think.

Sorry but I don't see the connection. Just because figures indicate something doesn't make it so.

Perhaps those who understand violence took longer to respond because they know how serious a threat it could be to themselves to get in the middle of it.

Perhaps people who go to violent movies are the same type of people who would take longer to respond (be less decisive), rathe than the movie itself being the issue.

Certainly 20 minutes of gaming or one movie are unlikely to unduly influence anyone I think.

What?