World Baseball Classic Discussion

Maxx

The tournament begins again tonight, with China vs Japan at 4:30 am EST.

Lets all enjoy and discuss what will hopefully not be an massive embarassment for Team USA again.

They start out on the 7th against Canada.

Rosters, pools, schedules and news can all be found on ESPN's WBC page: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/worldclassic2009/index

I won't be suprised if we see a rematch of Cuba Vs Japan in the Championship game again. Cuba plays together more than any of the other teams, and I think the Japanese players take it more seriously than any of the other teams, save Cuba.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Japan wins the first game of the Classic, beating China 4-0. They'll probably easily roll through their pool. I expect Yu Darvish to be this year's Matsuzaka and MLB teams will be lining up to sign him after the tournament.

Japan wins the first game of the Classic, beating China 4-0. They'll probably easily roll through their pool. I expect Yu Darvish to be this year's Matsuzaka and MLB teams will be lining up to sign him after the tournament.

He's considered by many to be the best pitcher in the world. He has SEVEN Out-Pitches. But he can't sign with a MLB team 'till after the 2014 season. I'm not sure why probably in his contract, he had teams like The Angels trying to recruit him in junior high. The guy is gold.

He'll be one of the best players in the tournament, and probably the best.

I hope two teams go through from each pool or Australia are FUUUUUUUUCKED.

Yes, and like Australia can beat Mexico anyway?

I just assumed Mexico sucked at baseball like everything else, Oh well, I can only hope we beat South Africa.

Yeah, Mexico knocked out the USA last Classic, IIRC.

And only stupid people would consider Yu Darvish the best pitcher in the world, as he hasn't faced any of the best hitters in the world.

And only stupid people would consider Yu Darvish the best pitcher in the world, as he hasn't faced any of the best hitters in the world.

i agree, but alot of "experts" consider him to be. personally he maybe the best pitcher in Japan, but if Dice-K can do great over here then no reason to think Darvish couldn't, but to call him the best in the world is a stretch IMO.

i agree, but alot of "experts" consider him to be. personally he maybe the best pitcher in Japan, but if Dice-K can do great over here then no reason to think Darvish couldn't, but to call him the best in the world is a stretch IMO.

Dice-K? Great? Um. If you consider 100 pitches in five innings with five walks great.

Dice-K? Great? Um. If you consider 100 pitches in five innings with five walks great.

no, but i consider 18-3 with a 2.90 ERA pretty fucking awesome. His games or most of them maynot be Johan Santana like, but he gets the job done great, limits runs, and wins games, i would consider that great.

^ true ignorance. Mexicans are actually very good at baseball. They're simply overshadowed by their South American neighbors.

I'm guessing you meant Central America :shifty:

I'm hoping Canada can do better than last time and advance past round one. Beating the USA again would be nice though :pervert: