Hellfest 2009

fourstarfizzle

I've been contemplating this one for a while - plenty of my friends usually go to Hellfest, and French festivals are always a ton of fun. I've been curious since I heard Electric Wizard were playing, but looking at the full line-up...

I'm pretty much indifferent to all of the Cruefest stage, although I'd probably go and see Gojira and maybe Manowar for a laugh if there was nothing else on.

Main Stage is pretty class; would definitely try and see Voivod, Killing Joke, Misfits and KMFDM, and wouldn't mind seeing Eyehategod, Mad Sin or Suicidal Tendencies. Would see Down if there wasn't anything else going on, and Mastodon were much better than I expected last time I saw them, so again, if there's nothing else happening.

Rockhard Tent is alright...definitely would want to see Napalm Death and Cathedral, and wouldn't say no to a bit of Gorgoroth or Entombed.

Terrorizer Tent fucking wins for the last day, though. Before that I only care about Pig Destroyer, but for the Sunday; Orange Goblin, Electric Wizard, Wolves In The Throneroom and Ufomammut? Fuck yes, you've got half my favourite metal bands in one place.

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeesus fucking shitting Christ, how did I manage to not hear about this?! I needs me a passport! £269 all-in for the entire event is... ouch. But fuck it, it would easily be worth that. Arguably, the Sunday mainstage lineup alone would be worth that... Although they've managed to get Amon Amarth and MoonsPELL on the same stage, when they also have MoonsORROW at the festival too... fuck sake. That is literally my only complaint though.

Realistically, it's unlikely to happen, but a man can dream...

I just tried working out who I want to see, never in a festivals history have I wanted to see 41 BANDS!! Obviously there's going to be clashes, but here's my first drafts...

down

heaven & hell

voivod

eyehategod

soilent green

entombed

asphyx

misery index

destroyer 666

pig destroyer

kylesa

nachtmystium

machine head

soulfly

gojira

killing joke

kmfdm

amebix

gama bomb

sacred reich

enslaved

immolation

skinless

vader

terror

all shall perish

manowar

europe

suicidal tendencies

mastodon

destruction

amon amarth

cathedral

napalm death

pestilence

aborted

brutal truth

electric wizard

orange goblin

black dahlia murder

wolves in the throne room

• 3 months later...

Well, it's been and gone, and here's my gigging report...

I've just worked through who I saw, managed to fit in 37 bands over the 3 days, and mainly all bands I wanted to see, which is crazy. Also probably the best festival I've ever been too both musically and camping atmosphere wise.

FRIDAY

Saint Vitus - Really awesome band to end the first day, wasn't sure about putting them on so late though. Great set though.

Heaven And Hell - Good stuff, really liking their new album.

Repulsion - Fantastic, great set.

Down - Pretty good, seen them 4 times already, Phil seemed a bit out of it.

Pig Destroyer - They were ok, only caught first 4 songs then watched Down.

Entombed - Immense live, thoroughly enjoyed em.

Torche - Great band, hopes where high and they delivered.

Misery Index - Best time I've seen them live, which is my 3rd, lpayed 'The Arbiter' too which was great.

Soilent Green - One of the best live bands of the whole festival, front row center for it too, absolutely unreal.

Destroyer 666 - Kicked ass as usual.

Melechesh - Never heard them before, impressed by em.

SATURDAY

Cro-Mags - Kicked it old school, really enjoyed their stuff.

Sacred Reich - Thrashed my face off, and opened with The American Way, awesome!

Vision of Disorder - Awesome, if only Bloodsimple was this good.

Enslaved - Did the business once again, fantastic set.

Gojira - Once again proved they're amazing and only gonna get bigger.

Immolation - Started watching Amebix, realised it was basically a shit cover band, got to these to see the last 4 songs, sounded great.

Amebix - See Immolation

Soulfly - Meh, nothing fantastic, same as Cavalera Conspiracy at Download last year.

Devildriver - Seen them a few times, good middle of the road band to watch.

Skinless - Great gig, and amusing zombie wall of death.

All Shall Perish - Good gig for em, matched the other shows I've seen them at. The new guitarist slays, equally as good as Chris Storie.

Vader - Brutal is all I can say to explain them. Loved them playing 'Wings'

Gama Bomb - Good bit of thrash to start the day.

SUNDAY

Manowar - Possibly the greatest metal show I've seen next to Kiss, mainly for the cheese, the songs and the overall show. Although very annoyed at the wasting 20 minutes with some idiotic fan from the crowd who was clearly a plant. Great cheesy show though, just wish they'd played Black Wind, Fire & Steel!

Amon Amarth - Great band to headline the big tent, about 20-30 crazy fools climbing up the metal columns to watch them, all the way upto the tent roof. Great atmosphere with the viking horns.

Electric Wizard - Another band I recently saw in Manchester, the tent really helped the sound, and they were awesome, heavy as hell!

Mastodon - UGH! So dissapointed I saw them in manchester just a week ago and they blew me away. It's bad when a band you love sounds bad. The new stuff does not play live well outside, and on the whole, they were just a bit messy for the festival, joint vocals always seemed out too.

Cathedral - Saw the first 3 tracks, sounded good.

Black Dahlia Murder - Tight as hell, sounded great, even whilst I was falling asleep outside the tent.

Napalm Death - Loud and intense, loved it!

Orange Goblin - Listened outside the tent, sounded great.

Pestilence - Caught the last 4 songs, great to finally see them back together, the new stuff is EVIL!

Wolves in the Throne Room - One of the bands of the festival, finally got to see them, absolutely amazing.

Keep of Kalessin - Fair decent black metal.

Despised Icon - Not my bag personally, sat outside the tent, sounded tight.

Aborted - Wasn't too hot on the new album, but it plays better live, finished on Dead Wreckoning which was cool.

I think overall top 5 would have to be:

1. Soilent Green

2. Manowar

3. Wolves in the Throne Room

4. Electric Wizard

5. Gojira