Formula One 2009

Adam

Yeah, there's no way Ferrari will domiante just because they have Alonso, he isn't God. I expect him to be in the title race again which is good, but then again he team may produce a shit car, and if you've got a shit car it really doesn't matter how good you are at driving in Formula 1.

So, a dramatic qualifying sessions ends with Timo Glock in the hospital, Mark Webber in the pit lane and Sebastian Vettel on pole. Button won't be winning the title this weekend unless some big crashes happen now I would say, but that is actually likely by the look of this weekend so far.

It's a shame both Toro Rosso's crashed as tey seem to be much improved this weekend, also a good achievement for Trulli to get back up the top end of the grid.

Anyway, recent news...

- Glock will miss the Brazilian GP with a back injury.

- Kubica will drive for Renault in 2010.

- Bruno Senna and Pedro De La Rosa are rumoured to be the favourties for race seats with Campos next season.

- The future of the British GP will be decided at a meeting tomorrow, where Donnington will probably be reviewed.

- Jarno Trulli looks set to leave Toyota.

- Felipe Massa's eye has fully recovered and he's currently at Maranello.

- Felipe Massa will wave the flag at the Brazilian GP this coming Sunday.

- USF1 are targetting January to begin testing their new car.

- Manor GP are on course to make the 2010 starting grid.

There's been more too, but I'm bored of typing. So, let us discuss the goings on as the season ends to close. Perhaps where you think drivers are going to end up next season? That'd be an interesting topic of discussion I'm sure.

For sure. Also since that post, there have been rumours that Rubens has already signed for Williams. Hmm...

I mentioned that rumour in this thread like 2 weeks ago when i tried to start the next year discussion :rolleyes:. Where were you then?!?!?

I'll quote what I put up, its a bit out of date as the Kubica thing has happened as expected

FINALLY is all I can say, hopefully this will set everyone off and we will see next year taking shape, so the question is who's off where here are a few of my thoughts that are coming out of rumours:

Raikkonen: Mclaren seems the obvious choice, thats if he wants to stay in the sport.

Kubica: Renault seems the obvious choice for me, before anyone jumps on the race-fixing incident we all know that most drivers would give anything to drive for such an experienced team that harks back to the 1970's through its various incarnations and with BMW pulling out and the takeover seemingly a little shady I think it would be a positive move for the pole.

Kovalainen: Again a return to renault could do the man some good if Grosjean is not retained for next year.

Heidfeld: I am worried about "Quick Nick" I really want him to stay in the sport but he isn't getting any younger (he's 32 now :o)and staying with the new incarnation of the Sauber/BMW team could mean being a member of an uncompetitive team next season.

Rosberg and Barichello are apparently going to switch places, which for me is to both teams benefits, Brawn getting the exciting young prospect (Yet another German however <_<), retaining Button means they have the experience which covers the loss to Williams who will have a fantastically experienced driver in Rubens, and I think it'll suit him if he wants to be considered a number one driver in a team.

Also who do people think will fill the spaces in the new teams? I would like to see some experience drivers in those cars as I feel it can only be beneficial to the teams and to the sport as a whole. I am already looking forward to next season and this one still has over a month to go!

I am still intrigued as to who is going to race in the enw teams next season. I am still worried about Quick Nick as well.

ALSO I have read somewhere that if Donnington can not host next years GB Grand Prix then Silverstone will get the long term contract and will then be redveloped. We will know in 2 weeks when Donnington's breach of contract retification period expires!

Not for next year they're not. Sure they can be trying to work out a deal with Bernie, but every nation under the sun is trying to attract his attention and there are only so many races that we can have. We have India and South Korea (which is scheduled for next year)with tracks pending, Abu Dhabi is in a couple of weeks, there is going to be Canada retunring as well next year, there has been a Russian tracked rumoured for a good long while, etc... I think for there to be a "Scottish" Grand Prix it'll take a few years as there are no existing facilities that could take F1 racing, I mean, Knockhill at times seems to struggle with BTCC so no chance of F1. So there will have to be a whole heap of planning involved, I would never say never with Motor Racing, but, it will be a few years down the line, not next year or even the following 2/3 years.

Brands Hatch is the best actual circuit in England but I don't think that it could host an F1 weekend.

It's unsurprising really. As with everything we'll see a sway away from Europe and many more middle eastern and Asian countries picking up grand prix. Partly cos of the money and partly because of a general global shift.

Shame though, there are some awesome European circuits that could potentially be lost.

We have already lost one, I love Imola and it won't see another GP for a while, however I will not lose any sleep over Magny-Cour ever, it really is a boring track once you get past Estoril corner. I just wish they would get rid of the German GP's in their current format. The new Nurburgring and Hockenheim's are AWFUL, the old school long straight Hockenheim was wicked. I can't see Hungary surviving in the long run if the Middle East/Asia movement keeps on going.

And yes, unfotunately Brands Hatch's facilities are no longer any good for F1, I also think the track is a bit too narrow for modern day F1 cars aswell, but seeing and F1 race there would be a great spectacle

Qualifying was a farce. I'm glad the grid order was decided fairly (eventually), but there needs to be a time limit when there's a provisional grid already in place. You can't have a 90 minutes plus gap - it's both tedious and aggravating for everyone watching. And if it weren't for how BBC has a lucrative contract to justify and four channels it can air on, we wouldn't have seen everything. I bet there are lots of countries that missed out. Absolutely stupid.

I'm happy for Rubens. I can't decide if I'd rather see a British driver, or the last remaining driver who raced in the early/mid 90's win the championship - but I'm really looking forward seeing how it unfolds.

I still have a feeling that Button will win the title today. Yes, it's unlikely that it will happen with Rubens on pole and him back in 14th, but I dunno, I just have this feeling. Barrichello rarely does well here at his home GP, and the weather cold yet play havoc. If Barrichello fucks up on the start as he is susceptible to doing, or he crashes or anything, that could be it. It's gonna be a very interesting evening. I reall cannot decide who I want to win the title and I think I'll be happy either way, Button or Barrichello.